i know they have been out for awhile now
have there been any issues with them?
thinking abt getting one to replace my mossy
is it worth the switch
thanks
sureshot

mixflip
06-02-2010, 18:56
My co-worker has a Saiga that cant shoot cheap birdshot low brass ammo from WalMart. To me that sucks big time since thats where over half my fun comes from... plinking my semi-auto shotgun using cheap WalMart birdshot ammo.

His Saiga cycles 00-buck just fine. Just not the cheap stuff. That gets expensive if you plink with 00-buck?

Now if you are replacing the Mossberg with the Saiga for home defense/SHTF duty, then I guess it wont matter that it wont cycle cheap ammo.

Also horizontally stored ammo in the Saiga mags can deform and get flat spots which can cause feed issues from what I hear.

And of course the mags are HUGE!!! so no prone shooting if you have a 10 round mag (or more?)

The only real benefit I see is the quick reloads of a box mag vs reloading shot for shot on a traditional shotgun. Other than that I wont be replacing my Benelli pump or Mossberg 930 SPX anytime soon.

Do I still want one? Heck yeah!!! If you want one just get it and dont look back!

space_weazel
06-03-2010, 00:59
I would keep the Mossberg,

I have a few Remington's and also a Saiga 12
The Saiga is one of my absolute favorite guns, Mine has run nearly anything I have put in to it, including low base bulk pack bird shot. If your Saiga wont send it to CGW and have it repaired.

I bought it because it is awesome, and everyone I show it to likes it, hell, I've sold at least 9 people on getting their own.

Get one, make sure it runs, most do, only a few a while ago had issues, if you want to really make sure you can rely on it get the $35 Gas fixer gas plug[more adjust ability in the gas system], convert it and get some mags and atleast one MD Arms Drum.
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii143/space_weazel/Guns/IMG_0743.jpg
I have done some more modding since this pic.

F_G
06-03-2010, 07:13
I have 2 friends with Saiga's and I fully concur with mixflip and space-weasel:whistling:. One of them runs anything you put through it, and the other is iffy with low brass cheap stuff. Both run 100% when using slug and 00. Neither have had any modifications. After I get my 930SPX sorted out, one of these is definitely on my short list.

DonL
06-07-2010, 18:01
Space_Weazel,
How sturdy is that stock and what length (?Ace folder?) is that? Also, if you would, could you give me a measurement from the end of stock to the trigger....I'm working on getting mine set up like that, but with so many accessories available, I'm having a hard time deciding what to get. Need to get this right the first time...Thanks....

nnickatnight
06-07-2010, 18:24
Mine runs anything including low brass, cheapo Mao Mart, etc., but you have to change the gas setting.

TSAX
06-08-2010, 00:23

The Saiga is one of my absolute favorite guns, Mine has run nearly anything I have put in to it, including low base bulk pack bird shot. If your Saiga wont send it to CGW and have it repaired.

I bought it because it is awesome, and everyone I show it to likes it, hell, I've sold at least 9 people on getting their own.

Get one, make sure it runs, most do, only a few a while ago had issues, if you want to really make sure you can rely on it get the $35 Gas fixer gas plug[more adjust ability in the gas system], convert it and get some mags and atleast one MD Arms Drum.

This looks so cool

DaGroaner
06-08-2010, 08:43
Mine runs anything including low brass, cheapo Mao Mart, etc., but you have to change the gas setting.

Same here x2. Both of mine are 100% reliable. I'd go with the Saiga. I still have my old Mossy though too.

lucky-gunner
06-08-2010, 13:46

Looks great

+1

Happy Shooting

GPalmer
06-09-2010, 22:30
I own more than one of them. They run great and are a lot of fun for blasting away with. Once you get them running smooth they're nice but they may rquire a bit of tweaking to get there.

06-10-2010, 16:08
Mine has been 100% also. Get one they're hella fun. As for shooting prone, they sure will. You just have to turn the gun sideway. I use mine for 3 gun matches and have not had problems shooting prone.

Alaskapopo
06-10-2010, 18:37
My co-worker has a Saiga that cant shoot cheap birdshot low brass ammo from WalMart. To me that sucks big time since thats where over half my fun comes from... plinking my semi-auto shotgun using cheap WalMart birdshot ammo.

His Saiga cycles 00-buck just fine. Just not the cheap stuff. That gets expensive if you plink with 00-buck?

Now if you are replacing the Mossberg with the Saiga for home defense/SHTF duty, then I guess it wont matter that it wont cycle cheap ammo.

Also horizontally stored ammo in the Saiga mags can deform and get flat spots which can cause feed issues from what I hear.

And of course the mags are HUGE!!! so no prone shooting if you have a 10 round mag (or more?)

The only real benefit I see is the quick reloads of a box mag vs reloading shot for shot on a traditional shotgun. Other than that I wont be replacing my Benelli pump or Mossberg 930 SPX anytime soon.

Do I still want one? Heck yeah!!! If you want one just get it and dont look back!

You can shoot prone even with a big mag just go urban prone. (gun sideways ejection port up or down depending on prefrence). Or you could just use a 5 round mag for prone shooter. I love my Saiga and it leaves all other shotguns in the dust with its ability to reload from 5 to 20 shells in just a few seconds.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/shotguns/Saigadesc.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/shotguns/20roundsaiga.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/shotguns/12roundsaiga.jpg

space_weazel
06-11-2010, 01:44
That is the 7.5 inch ACE stock and even for me[I love the WARSAW AK stocks] it's to short, I have the Tromix non-limbsaver stock on it now an that feels just a touch to long, and its a little hard on the shoulder with buck or slugs, so ideally something in between with a pad on it. I'm still looking but at least the Tromix stock is serviceable while the short ACE stock got my nose smacked a lot.

Space_Weazel,
How sturdy is that stock and what length (?Ace folder?) is that? Also, if you would, could you give me a measurement from the end of stock to the trigger....I'm working on getting mine set up like that, but with so many accessories available, I'm having a hard time deciding what to get. Need to get this right the first time...Thanks....

David_Ely
06-11-2010, 10:00
I have both a .410 and 20 gauge Saiga and love them both. The 20 gauge took some tweaking but now it's reliable and it's my primary southern Michigan deer gun.

http://www.elyfamily.com/images/saiga20-right.jpg

ahop11
06-14-2010, 04:56
i would definitely recommend the siaga 12. i picked mine up about two months ago. i'm not sure if the one i got would be considered a "vodka special" or not but i was able to do everything to fix it myself. resized the gas ports- mine had three. three ports should be .093. but, they were .070 which is the measurement for a four port gun. i took off the gas block and opened them up myself. used a 3/32 drill bit and a cordless drill and was careful to try and keep the same angle as the ports were already. after that it would cycle federal bulk ammo from walmart on gas setting 2 but not 1 (which is a good thing). some people say their guns will cycle anything on 1. in my opinion their guns are over gassed. 1 should be used for slugs, buckshot, and magnum loads. 2 for target and field loads.

the best thing to do is shoot it and see how it goes. i got too excited and started on my conversion right away. if you don't do anything to it you can send it to cadiz gun works for warranty repair. i've heard good things about them, they get your gun taken care of without any hassle and you don't pay anything from what i have read.

right now i'm working out a problem with failure to feed. worst case scenario fix doesn't seem too hard if you can weld or know someone who can. just need to add a little extension to the barrel hood. this i believe is also covered by warranty. occasionally i get a shell that pops up a little too far on it's way into the chamber and hangs up on the hood. 2 3/4 shells only. 3 inch works fine. i'm going to do some polishing before i add any more material to see if that helps.

the conversion was pretty easy to do. the hardest part was cutting off the tang, i used a hacksaw. and getting the bolt hold open spring back in.

some people get a good one right out of the box, mine took a little work but the result is a really awesome weapon. lots of fun. if you decide to get one and need some help with it, look me up. i'll be happy to share what i know.

Whaledriver
06-21-2010, 09:41
Not sure if I would replace the Mossy. While the Saiga-12s are very fun to shoot, they can be finicky in the beginning. Also the aftermarket mags work great until it gets around 25 to 30 degrees in the winter. After that they tend to break around the upper rear part of the mag turning the gun into a single shot. The drum mag does work as advertised but can be sensitive to some ammo. Not trying to talk you out of one but I would not permanently replace the Mossy until I knew that the Saiga ran.

NiteWhistler
06-25-2010, 15:45
:deadhorse:...Go for it and never look back.....

LEAD
06-25-2010, 15:50

Tromix build?

NiteWhistler
06-25-2010, 16:35
http://www.elyfamily.com/images/saiga20-right.jpg[/QUOTE]

Nice... i dig it!!!

Silverhawk500
06-25-2010, 23:22
Not sure if I would replace the Mossy. While the Saiga-12s are very fun to shoot, they can be finicky in the beginning. Also the aftermarket mags work great until it gets around 25 to 30 degrees in the winter. After that they tend to break around the upper rear part of the mag turning the gun into a single shot. The drum mag does work as advertised but can be sensitive to some ammo. Not trying to talk you out of one but I would not permanently replace the Mossy until I knew that the Saiga ran.
You say that the mags can be a problem at 25-30 degree?? Box mag or drum mag? Living in the U. P. of MI 25-30 can be Aug-June !! I prob should stick with the law 12 folders!!. They work at 80 degree- minus 30.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">