Anybody use a Buck and Ball type of 12ga load? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use a Buck and Ball type of 12ga load?

RMTactical
06-02-2010, 21:09
Something like this?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AC12MD&groupid=17

mitchshrader
06-02-2010, 22:02
The round made sense with blackpowder single shot muskets. It covered small to medium game, or homestead defense when that might NOT be 2 legged varmints..

With multi shot weapons, the purpose for 'buck 'n ball' disappears. Even with double barreled shotguns, said purpose is much diminished.

It didn't quit working, it's just general purpose for a specific niche, and purpose built ammo comes closer to fitting the job description. I'm a big believer in slugs, for very specific jobs.. as they defeat most body armor (sufficiently to get off another shot), excel at vehicle penetration, and they allow more precision of aiming than does buckshot.

They are not suited for HD, unless you live in the center of a large property and don't mind holes in your walls.

Buck 'n ball splits the difference. It's less useful than double or triple ought, for close range defense, and skips much of the advantages of slugs.

On points, I'll never buy such a round, but if reloading I might build a box or two just for varietys sake, and monkey curiosity.

Slugs cost 50c, approximately, buckshot 65c approximately. (Remington WalMart Value Pack 2 3/4 inch).

Which makes training affordable.

I think the price on 'buck n' ball' reflects the rarity, not the utility. The Aguila mini-shells have a mixed buckshot 1 3/4 inch round, and a 3/4 oz slug round, for 52c and 45c, respectively. If you use a Winchester 1300, or an FN model.. the Aguila runs fine. In Remington, Charles Daly, & Mossberg.. they don't. I'd highly recommend Aguila IF it works in your shotgun, strictly on training cost, and lowered recoil. Blowing 100 rounds in 2 hours @ an ammo cost of 50$ (not $100) and NOT having a bruised shoulder tomorrow, is a strong argument. And it makes a 5+1 into a 7+1.

Only I don't own a 1300 or an FN.. so I shoot cheap Remington, and one box per day limit. I still heartily recommend Aguila SD 12ga mini shells to anyone can reliably use it.

I can't feature any excuse for buck n' ball EXCEPT price & lowered recoil.. otherwise it's just monkey curiosity, or a single shot homestead gun.

grendelbane
06-03-2010, 15:31
I haven't used the Centurion load. It looks interesting. Winchester has a load with a 1 ounce Foster slug and 3 pellets of 00 buck. It costs a bit more, if you can find any.

Back in the day, I used to roll my own. That load was 6 pellets of 00 buck under a 7/8 ounce Foster slug. It patterned extremely well, but was a little bit too much of a good thing. I don't think I want that much recoil any more.

Which is the big problem with ball & buck loads. Heavy payload means heavy recoil, or very low velocities. I have a load I am working on which will be less than an ounce and a quarter. Of course, my projects can take years to complete.

fredj338
06-04-2010, 12:03
Kind of gimicky IMO> If yo uwant max penetration, go slug, better hit potential on moving targets, go buckshot.

Butch
06-04-2010, 12:54
It's not 'buck and ball', but I have two rounds of what I believe to be a military load which is a duplex load of BB's and #4 shot. I've not fired any of it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Ammo%20pics/DSC00287.jpg

That Centurion load does look interesting.....might have to try some.