Why Is Double-Tap Using "Montana Gold" JHP'S~They Don't Appear To Work! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why Is Double-Tap Using "Montana Gold" JHP'S~They Don't Appear To Work!

ULVER
06-02-2010, 22:47
At least in 9mm, & even at +P pressure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsGnDtgVHc0&feature=related

Last Double-Tap I shot, came in slower than the claimed 1,400fps. The Cor Bon 115gr. +P rated at 1,350fps, actually not only made it's claimed velocity, but exceeded it.

Biggest deal is this: The DT's were Gold Dots. The newest shippings, seem to be this "Montana Gold" offering.
:upeyes:

Why the change to a bullet, that doesn't have the Gold Dots, street rep>?

RMTactical
06-02-2010, 23:01
Excellent question. I think DT will lose some business over this move for sure.

Angry Fist
06-02-2010, 23:10
Here are the responses I got....

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1213394

N/Apower
06-02-2010, 23:18
LMAO! Double-tap. I thought that joke was old by now?

ULVER
06-02-2010, 23:23
OK...

When one thinks Double-Tap, or BB, or Cor Bon for that matter; doesn't one think "high-velocity" & a bullet that makes the most of it>/ :whistling:

You buy these brands, to save your arse!!! :steamed: Not for "range" ammo. WTF> :steamed:

N/Apower
06-02-2010, 23:42
OK...

When one thinks Double-Tap, or BB, or Cor Bon for that matter; doesn't one think "high-velocity" & a bullet that makes the most of it>/ :whistling:

You buy these brands, to save your arse!!! :steamed: Not for "range" ammo. WTF> :steamed:

Only if you don't read product reviews.

BOGE
06-03-2010, 00:03
People, this topic has been beat to death. :upeyes:

http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo129/Boge_1960/beating_a_dead_horse1.gif

http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo129/Boge_1960/search-button.jpg

ATW525
06-03-2010, 00:33
Why the change to a bullet, that doesn't have the Gold Dots, street rep>?

My best guess is that they decided that they don't want my money. Seriously, I've ordered from them in the past, but never again. I'd rather have a quality JHP traveling at a reasonable velocity from a reputable manufacturer, than a cheap JHP screaming along at a blindingly fast speed from a company whose reputation is going down the toilet.

N/Apower
06-03-2010, 00:39
My best guess is that they decided that they don't want my money. Seriously, I've ordered from them in the past, but never again. I'd rather have a quality JHP traveling at a reasonable velocity from a reputable manufacturer, than a cheap JHP screaming along at a blindingly fast speed from a company whose reputation is going down the toilet.

Lol, good luck with that from them.

ATW525
06-03-2010, 00:43
Lol, good luck with that from them.

Well, I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, since velocity has always been their claim to fame. It wouldn't surprise if they're not living up to that anymore, either, though.

glocknbruce
06-03-2010, 04:16
i remember years back, Mike McNett was the "Obi-Won-Kenobi" of defensive ammo, worshiped like Yoda on Gtalk...

now he is "Obi-Won-Jabroni"......what has happened to Double Tap??????

degoodman
06-03-2010, 09:08
Well, I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, since velocity has always been their claim to fame. It wouldn't surprise if they're not living up to that anymore, either, though.

The funny part is that nearly everyone who's tested them, with the exception of McNett, has found that their velocities rarely, if ever, meet the company's claims.

With the huge array of propellants available on the commercial marketplace, if there was something out there that would give you 200 FPS at SAAMI pressures, we'd have found it by now.

The other thing working against doubletap, and probably other houses like Georgia Arms eventually, is that manufacturers are having trouble cranking out enough premium bullets to fulfill their own backorder logs. The odds of them working to keep the competetion, well, competing against them are going to be pretty low. Speer already started pulling in on the reigns on the use of the Gold Dot name in other people's ammo lines before the current mess, and I don't see them giving that up any time soon.

FatBoy
06-03-2010, 12:18
Why Is Double-Tap Using "Montana Gold" JHP'S

Simple: They are available and Gold Dots are not. If he didn't use something else, he'd be out of business. Still may end up that way, as I think that people have and will continue to get pissed when they find out what they got wasn't what they expected. I never was on the DT bandwagon, so its no great loss to me. I am actually surprised that people are still buying them, after all the threads on GT about they change in bullets.

FB

Ak.Hiker
06-05-2010, 01:03
They have plenty of other bullets to select from in quite a few calibers. Check out the Nosler Sporting Handgun loads in 40 S&W, 10mm and 357 Magnum. They also load a Remington bullet in 9mm. The MG FMJ bullet is a real good one in my opinion. I did some testing with the 200 grain DT FMJ 10mm loaded with the MG bullet. Good function and the bullet is pretty tough for uses when deep penetration is needed.

freakshow10mm
06-05-2010, 01:07
The Nosler bullet factory blew up the other day so good luck on bullet supply for the next few months.

Coffee Dog
06-05-2010, 07:12

Angry Fist
06-05-2010, 09:24
The Nosler bullet factory blew up the other day so good luck on bullet supply for the next few months.

Are you gunna offer any 10mm tipped with Hornady TAC-XP?

Ak.Hiker
06-05-2010, 17:12

The good news is that all 100 workers at the plant made it out safely. A quick thinking employee pulled the fire alarm after he saw a bright flash in the ammo testing area of the factory. This could have been much worse that is for sure. They are a good company and I will bet they will do what ever it takes to get back in business.

mikeyU
06-05-2010, 17:58
because they are cheap

Jeepnik
06-05-2010, 18:33
WOW!!! That's terrible. You mean if I shoot a badguy center mass with these bullets they will be unscathed? Yep, those are some really terrible bullets. In other words, it don't matter if it's a fmj, or a supervelocity hyperexpanding geewiz bullet, it's placement that counts. Relying of what I call ballistic black magic instead of proper bullet placement is just plain silly.

walt cowan
06-05-2010, 18:33
why did they drop 200 grain xtp's

JW1178
06-05-2010, 18:48
I think DT is probaly now big enough that they are buying by contract. Montana Gold made some great deal with Double Tap. Gold Dot/ATK I guess is just too big to want to do anything for a little company like DT, in fact, they probally didn't like catering to them because they are making making their standard bullets look a bit weak. I have no MBA but what I do know about business I know that is probally what happened.

freakshow10mm
06-05-2010, 19:00
Are you gunna offer any 10mm tipped with Hornady TAC-XP?
I have loads in 155gr (1400fps), 180gr (1250fps), and 200gr (1200fps) XTP.

I think DT is probaly now big enough that they are buying by contract. Montana Gold made some great deal with Double Tap. Gold Dot/ATK I guess is just too big to want to do anything for a little company like DT, in fact, they probally didn't like catering to them because they are making making their standard bullets look a bit weak. I have no MBA but what I do know about business I know that is probally what happened.
No probably not. Speer got swamped with orders for their ammunition so the Gold Dot bullets are being allocated to Speer's factory GD ammo and not sold to distributors and other smaller OEM manufacturers as components. That's why supply dried up so much. Speer worries about Speer ammo first, then sells excess inventory to other OEM ammo makers and distributors next. Speer comes first and every manufacturer is like that. Also bullets like this for the quantity are certainly not bought on contract. You have to be a pretty serious manufacturer to go factory direct for Speer bullets and I'm sorry but DTA is not big enough to do so.

glock37gap
06-05-2010, 19:28
the bottom line is they can use what ever bullet they want it's their business. the problem is that they need to inform the customer. for them to advertise gold dot and deliver anything other than that is fraud. it don't matter how big your business is if you continue to do business in that fashion it won't be too long before that will catch up to you and your doors will soon close. bad bad business, you have to deliver what you advertise.

JW1178
06-05-2010, 20:47
DT has too much to lose. It takes a long time and a lot of work, as well as producing a good product to get the following it has, or should I say had because it takes little time and very little mess-up to lose that following. NOTHING says stability like regular customers. I am sure someone will come to take the void.

freakshow10mm
06-05-2010, 22:41
the bottom line is they can use what ever bullet they want it's their business. the problem is that they need to inform the customer.
That's the point and what is driving the dissatisfaction.