Practice with 10mm [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Practice with 10mm

leadslinger13
06-03-2010, 04:42
I have been concentrating on getting the iron sights set on my saiga 7.62 so much that i have been neglecting my 20. I noticed this past session that shooting the 40 conversion i had no issue with my groups. When i shot the Georgia arms 180 i got sloppy. I realized that i needed to get more time in on the actual 10mm loads as i began to over tighten my grip. It drove the point home that you do have to keep your muscle memory trained.

agtman
06-03-2010, 17:54
I have been concentrating on getting the iron sights set on my saiga 7.62 so much that i have been neglecting my 20. I noticed this past session that shooting the 40 conversion i had no issue with my groups. When i shot the Georgia arms 180 i got sloppy. I realized that i needed to get more time in on the actual 10mm loads as i began to over tighten my grip. It drove the point home that you do have to keep your muscle memory trained.

Absolutely. I've been preaching this for years ... :whistling:

And these days, what's that GA 180gn load doing anyway? 1100fps? 1150fps? Mid-range at best.

The 10mm AUTO is a harsh mistress - that's as in the real high-performance 10mm, not that .40-level Brokeback Mountain crapola floating around the ammo world. This cartridge simply doesn't respond well to fair-weather users who neglect regular training or practice.

Now the 9-minimeter - :upeyes: ... well, maybe you can get away with 3- or 6-month intervals between spray-n-pray sessions (though I doubt it).

Don't try that with the 10mm if you expect to be proficient with it for duty use, CCW or any type of personal defense (even against 4-legged predators).

As a notorious, 10mm-totin' South Florida cop once put it:

"Don't step-up if you can't man-up."
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo166/agtman/miami-vice-dj12.jpg

:cool:

Bullman
06-03-2010, 18:18
I had a long awaited range session yesterday, the national forest range is back in business. I aired out some double tap and some 135 grain copper defender 10mm rounds I had in the GP100

cowboywannabe
06-04-2010, 01:31
poor Sonny Crocket, he wasnt man enough for the 10mm and soon had to switch to a .45acp...LOL

agtman
06-04-2010, 04:59
poor Sonny Crocket, he wasnt man enough for the 10mm and soon had to switch to a .45acp...LOL

:whistling: Well, actually, his Bren Ten got "blown up" along with his first car at the end of the second season.

For season three, he carried the S&W 645 and got a new muscle car of some type.

:cool:

Bullman
06-04-2010, 06:10
He drove around in some hot rod 50s model Chevy pickup until his Testarossa came along. He probably couldn't get replacement mags for his bren, the only other choice for him at that point probably would have been a Delta

nickE10mm
06-06-2010, 22:41
agtman and bullman - LOL!! funny stuff... :)

to the OP.... yep, it muscle memory... and those who think they are "good enough" with their 10mm's despite only shooting them once a year.... well, they will find out sooner or later that they aren't. Good shooting takes practice. Good shooting with heavy kicking magnums takes even more.

Good thing for us: practice is fun. :)

cowboywannabe
06-08-2010, 12:05
did some practice with my G29 and DT 135gr for the first time....man thats some stout stuff. before today the hottest ive put in my 29 is the DT 165s.....the 135s in my G20 are nice. magnum feel without magnum recoil if that makes any scense.

in my 29 the 135s take some mental preping...now i know what they feel like its no surprise to me when i touch them off, i know what to expect.

Maine1
06-08-2010, 21:00
one thing i had to change when i started carrying the 10mm, swapping from 45. I had shot chapman/weaver wahteverits called: locked right elbow, tense but bent left, but found that i needed to lock the left as well , or i would throw rounds to the left.With the 45 it was not that much of an issue.
as has been said, 10mm needs a little more attention to grip and folow up, but i find it is well worth it.

nickE10mm
06-08-2010, 21:23
Honestly, I don't think the 135gr DT's are the highest pressure round DT makes ... I believe its the 200gr BTB. People always talk about the 135's "getting your attention" and them being like "setting off a bomb". Maybe the sound, but the recoil ain't that bad. Those BTB loads are pretty vicious, though. For 10mm, at least. ;)