Chiappa banned in South Carolina. What now? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Chiappa banned in South Carolina. What now?

crash09
06-03-2010, 10:09
I've been tempted to buy a Chiappa 1911-22 for use as a cheap practice/plinking gun for a while now. I like the idea of having a dedicated .22lr practice gun that replicated the size, feel, etc. of my carry gun. Saved up and went to buy one on GB this morning only to find out that they are banned in my state, due to our "Junk gun law". Apparently, "Chippaloy" will melt below 800 degrees F. :steamed:

Back to the drawing board.

Of the other .22 lr converions kits for 1911s that are out there: Ceiner, Kimber and Advantage Arms, which have you all had experience with and which do you like?

El_Ron1
06-03-2010, 10:14
Sounds like you need new lawmakers more than a new gun.

bac1023
06-03-2010, 10:38
The gun is junk, so you're probably better off.

Still, that's puzzling. :dunno:

crash09
06-03-2010, 11:37
Sounds like you need new lawmakers more than a new gun.

Actually, our laws are pretty good. We have shall issue, castle doctrine, etc. The Saturday Night Special/Junk Gun law is still on the books however...

crash09
06-03-2010, 11:52

I've kinda come to the same conclusion, now that I know it's made of pot metal. Do you have any experience with or opinion of the Kimber Rimfire?

Rinspeed
06-03-2010, 12:13
I've never owned one but Marvel are considered by most the top dog for conversions units.

PlasticGuy
06-03-2010, 12:13

I can't believe I disagree with this, but I do.

I bought a Chiappa a couple weeks ago, and have been shooting the heck out of it. Most of the ammo through it has been Federal bulk pack 36 grain junk. I haven't had a ftf or fte yet. The only problems I've had were a couple of rounds that didn't fire, but I had the same problem with that box of ammo in my Single Six. Accuracy is good. I've been having fun knocking around empty shotgun shells at 10-15 yards, and pop cans out to 25 yards.

I know the metal is not high quality steel. I know the fit and finish are both second rate. I hate key locks in guns with a passion. However, the Chiappa has proven more reliable with bulk pack ammo than any Ruger or Browning I've ever owned. It's also a fantastic trainer, pointing like a 1911 and with all the same controls in all the same places. I have a friend who is also in nuclear security, and his Chiappa has performed just as well. It's hard to believe, but it's true. The little buggers shoot great.

bac1023
06-03-2010, 12:30
I can't believe I disagree with this, but I do.

I bought a Chiappa a couple weeks ago, and have been shooting the heck out of it. Most of the ammo through it has been Federal bulk pack 36 grain junk. I haven't had a ftf or fte yet. The only problems I've had were a couple of rounds that didn't fire, but I had the same problem with that box of ammo in my Single Six. Accuracy is good. I've been having fun knocking around empty shotgun shells at 10-15 yards, and pop cans out to 25 yards.

I know the metal is not high quality steel. I know the fit and finish are both second rate. I hate key locks in guns with a passion. However, the Chiappa has proven more reliable with bulk pack ammo than any Ruger or Browning I've ever owned. It's also a fantastic trainer, pointing like a 1911 and with all the same controls in all the same places. I have a friend who is also in nuclear security, and his Chiappa has performed just as well. It's hard to believe, but it's true. The little buggers shoot great.

I'm glad you got a good one, actually.

I thought about getting one as well, but after handling it, I declined. I then starting hearing about all the problems they were having. However, if some work well, that's great. :)

bac1023
06-03-2010, 12:31
I've kinda come to the same conclusion, now that I know it's made of pot metal. Do you have any experience with or opinion of the Kimber Rimfire?

I don't own one, but have shot one before. They seem nice to me.

That said, I think Marvel is better.

crash09
06-03-2010, 14:04
I don't own one, but have shot one before. They seem nice to me.

That said, I think Marvel is better.

My only concern with a conversion is the additional wear and tear on the frame. I generally shoot 500 rounds of .22 a week for practice. Anything to worry about, or am I overthinking the problem?

bac1023
06-03-2010, 14:09
My only concern with a conversion is the additional wear and tear on the frame. I generally shoot 500 rounds of .22 a week for practice. Anything to worry about, or am I overthinking the problem?

No way.

I wouldn't worry about that in the least. Its 22lr we're talking about here. :)

PlasticGuy
06-03-2010, 14:22
I'm glad you got a good one, actually.

I thought about getting one as well, but after handling it, I declined. I then starting hearing about all the problems they were having. However, if some work well, that's great. :)
I have seen some bad reviews online too, but my thinking was that even some malfunctions would make for good training. I'm not about to say that they are fantastic guns and everybody should run out and buy one, but mine and my friends both shoot great.

Maybe it's like Taurus, where the people who get good ones can't understand what everybody else is complaining about. I don't know. All I know is that I'm having a lot of fun with mine, and so is my friend.

CMG
06-03-2010, 15:31

I have two of the Kimber Rimfires (.17HM2 and .22), and they are both excellent. They offer very good accuracy and both run reliably. If bullseye comp is in your future, you'll likely want to spend the extra for a Marvel unit 1, but for most uses the Kimber will provide plenty of accuracy for a bit less.

I've looked at the Chiappa, and I think you'd be much better off with a Kimber conversion (watch the used lists and you can pick up an import 1911 (RIA, Citadel, Daly, etc.) pretty cheap for a dedicated frame - just sell the upper half).

crash09
06-03-2010, 20:47
I have two of the Kimber Rimfires (.17HM2 and .22), and they are both excellent. They offer very good accuracy and both run reliably. If bullseye comp is in your future, you'll likely want to spend the extra for a Marvel unit 1, but for most uses the Kimber will provide plenty of accuracy for a bit less.

I've looked at the Chiappa, and I think you'd be much better off with a Kimber conversion (watch the used lists and you can pick up an import 1911 (RIA, Citadel, Daly, etc.) pretty cheap for a dedicated frame - just sell the upper half).

Good idea. I've already got a RIA 1911. Thinking about using that for the lower.

crash09
06-03-2010, 20:49
No way.

I wouldn't worry about that in the least. Its 22lr we're talking about here. :)

I know. I'm not happy until I've analyzed something to death though...:supergrin:

HAIL CAESAR
06-03-2010, 21:14
I've had a Ceiner and played with the Kimber/Wilson/Ceiner's.

I have a Marvel 1 as of right now and it is superior to the others.

MBG20
06-03-2010, 21:39
GSG has a 1911 style .22 coming out pretty soon...

hedrok
06-03-2010, 22:21
Been most of the whole route...Started with a 70s Colt Ace...Loved it...but it had its problems, one of them being accuracy, the other being it was the most valuable gun I had when I needed money. Went to conversions for a Kimber and a Beretta...what a PITA to change over...and it was a Ceiner...bad customer service, especially trying to get info on something that's already been purchased. The Kimber was good...but the poly slide didn't have the right "kick" or "feel" like a metal slide. Now I have a very recently purchased Springfield Mil-spec basic and a basic Marvel conversion...not the one that shoots a 1/2" 5rdgroup at 50 yds....and I am anxious to try it out. Only problem is my trigger is like there's pieces of gravel in there. Small polish job coming.

The whole reason to write all of this is...plinking/target can be a lot of fun...but not with a semi auto that constantly screws up. The Chiapppas I've seen returned to a couple of dealer friends of mine are coming back in 25-30% range. Not acceptable to me. That just means it's gonna screw up...probably.
Others may have a fine experience with them ...I just don't want the headache.
It's much less stressful to find a decent 22 revolver, in shooter or better condition and not have the grief 'cause they almost ALWAYS work.
Also, if ya want ya get to practice that nice, long double action trigger pull.

I'm in no way an authority on the topic...but I HAVE wasted a fair amount of money getting my opinion to where it is now....and most importantly, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express.... last night or any night.

Deployment Solu
06-04-2010, 04:27
I've never owned one but Marvel are considered by most the top dog for conversions units.

+1,000,000,000 Marvel Conv Kits ARE the bomb!!!:cool:

Quack
06-04-2010, 09:29
I've been tempted to buy a Chiappa 1911-22 for use as a cheap practice/plinking gun for a while now. I like the idea of having a dedicated .22lr practice gun that replicated the size, feel, etc. of my carry gun. Saved up and went to buy one on GB this morning only to find out that they are banned in my state, due to our "Junk gun law". Apparently, "Chippaloy" will melt below 800 degrees F. :steamed:

Back to the drawing board.

Of the other .22 lr converions kits for 1911s that are out there: Ceiner, Kimber and Advantage Arms, which have you all had experience with and which do you like?

I don't get it, i'm pretty sure Glock's melting point for polymer is around 300 degree's.

The Marvel is a great conversion. it's accurate and will eat any Hi-Velocity ammo i feed it. i had a Ciener conversion, and was picky on the ammo i fed it. And for reference, the Ciener and Kimber designs won't work with frames that use ramped barrels or is a 9mm frame.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/Guns/DSC_9591.jpg

10-12yards with double and triple taps.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/Guns/DSC_9711.jpg

PhoneCop
06-04-2010, 21:34
I've had a lot of pleasant time with a Kimber .22 lr conversion kit. Since it's not "a gun" would that work?

Rinspeed
06-04-2010, 21:42
I've had a lot of pleasant time with a Kimber .22 lr conversion kit. Since it's not "a gun" would that work?

I believe the older Kimber units were made by Ceiner but their customer service sucks so bad Kimber started making their own.

Range Rat
06-05-2010, 21:11
Actually, our laws are pretty good. We have shall issue, castle doctrine, etc. The Saturday Night Special/Junk Gun law is still on the books however...

We (SC) also have an 8 hour training requirement for CWP applicants. I think that's a good thing.

CMG
06-06-2010, 05:11
These are my Kimber Rimfires:

.17 HM2 on a Kimber Frame

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/KRFT17.jpg

.22LR on a Colt frame

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/KRFT22.jpg

OUSooner
06-07-2010, 16:54
GSG has a 1911 style .22 coming out pretty soon...

It's out on the market now. I haven't heard any reviews on it. At least it does not have a huge billboard like the Chippa.

TonyT
06-08-2010, 11:41
The hiapa was reviewed in the American Rifleman within the past few months. The real minus was that the sear and or hammer were also made of the same zinc alloy but according to the article newer production was to use real metal parts.
In terms of other 22 conversion units i will offer the following comment on units I have owned and shot:
Colt Ace original unit with floating chamber, all steel, plinker in terms of accuracy and a pain in the neck to clean as the floating chamber gunks up rapidly.
Ciener - plinking lever accuracy, mine has functioned very well with everything from SV to HV ammo. Aluminum slide, does not stay open after firing the last round. Customer service is nonexistent.
Marbel Unit#1 - the bullseye shooters choice, extremely accurate, totally reliable with SV ammo, aluminum slide which does not stay open after firing the ast round, excellent customer service should you require a different sight rib or a heqavier recoil spring for HV ammo.
Jarvis - all steel, no longer manufactured, designed to use HV ammo with distinct preference for CCI MiniMag or Remington Golden ammo, very reliable with the specified ammo bit does not function well with federal HV bulk pack ammo, accuracy is better than Ciener or Colt units but not up to level of marvel Unit#1.
Tactical Solutions - an all steel unit, beautifully machioned, an inprovement on the original Jarvis unit and of comparable accuracy, mine functions well with either the Federal HV bulk pack, CCI MiniMag or Remington Golden,slide locks back after firing the last round. Their mags are expensive but well worth the price.
Hope that help in your selection.