Best personal defense ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best personal defense ammo

xdx2
06-03-2010, 10:55
I'm fairly new to the Glock and have only put 400 rds. total through my 26 and 19. Now I know someone wants to tell me just to goggle this question but, I feel this is what these forums are for to talk among friends with similar interests so. I would like to use my 9mm for PD, I know many will say well you should of picked a different caliber to start with but this is what I have and I plan to depend on it to God forbid save my life. I know 115gr. gives better penetration due to velocity and 124gr. and 147gr. makes bigger holes, but I like to know from you folks who have had to use your weapon to protect you and your family from harm, what is your experience and therefore the best overall round to carry if I should ever need to use my weapon. Thanks

degoodman
06-03-2010, 11:40
Choose a current manufacture defensive ammunition offering from a major manufacturer that you can actually obtain, locally as well as from the internet if possible, at a reasonable price. Once you have made your selection, plan on shooting 100 - 200 rounds of it to verify that it functions in your firearm, shoots to your point of aim, has recoil, muzzle blast and muzzle flash that you can tolerate, etc. If it passes those tests, you're done from an ammunition perspective.

Spend the rest of your time and money on training ammo and classes when you can get to them. The best defensive ammo in the world won't do you a bit of good if you can't place them on target in a crisis.

You are a bit reversed on what each weight gives you. Heavier bullets for caliber, all other things being equal, tend to have a reputation for better penetration. Lighter bullets run at higher velocities, usually leading to more robust expansion, but shallower wounds. In truth however, most of the current defensive ammunition offerings are engineered at each bullet weight to give very similar levels of performance in the FBI/DOJ ammunition testing protocols. That means regardless of your ammunition selection, you're going to expect to get 1.5x - 2x expansion over original caliber, with 12" - 16" of penetration through bare ballistic gelatin, and through a variety of intermediate barriers into ballistic gelatin. There isn't anything out there that is a radical departure from this one way or the other.

So pick something off this list that you can actually get, and get in sufficient quantity to practice with it a little bit.

Federal HST, Tactical Bonded, Some Classic and Hydrashok loads (The 9BPLE load is an old design hollowpoint that has a LONG and outstanding reputation as a fight ender)
Speer Gold Dot
Hornady TAP, Critical Defense, XTP
Winchester Ranger Series, SXT, PDX1
Remington Golden Sabre, Bonded Golden Sabre
Corbon DPX or other ammunition using the Barnes XPB bullet

I personally carry Gold Dots, but that's more because a close friend is an ammunition distributor, and I can get that ammo at his cost plus the excise tax than because its the best wonder ammo out there.

cowboy1964
06-03-2010, 12:25
Just Google it. :whistling:

But really, Gold Dot 124+P or HST 147 are my two faves. Gold Dots have a lot of street cred at this point.

124+P is 410 ft lbs of muzzle energy in a lightly recoiling package. Win-win situation.

RMD
06-03-2010, 13:44
I'm fairly new to the Glock and have only put 400 rds. total through my 26 and 19. Now I know someone wants to tell me just to goggle this question but, I feel this is what these forums are for to talk among friends with similar interests so. I would like to use my 9mm for PD, I know many will say well you should of picked a different caliber to start with but this is what I have and I plan to depend on it to God forbid save my life. I know 115gr. gives better penetration due to velocity and 124gr. and 147gr. makes bigger holes, but I like to know from you folks who have had to use your weapon to protect you and your family from harm, what is your experience and therefore the best overall round to carry if I should ever need to use my weapon. Thanks

My G26 is loaded with +P 124 (Short Barrel) Gold Dots right now and my G19 is just has the plain ol' 124 Gold Dots. I'm on the look out for some +P non-Short Barrels for the latter.