Another new one hitting the market... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Another new one hitting the market...

bac1023
06-03-2010, 11:05
Guys, check this out:

http://www.coarmsusa.com/

My dealer allerted me to them a couple weeks back.

He placed an order for the Scorpion. He said when it comes in he's going to hold it for me to look at before it hits the shelves. If I like it, I'm going to take it.

If you click on the link above and then click on Scorpion 1911 under products, you'll see it. It looks real nice for an MSRP of $1199. I'm thinking I could get it around a grand or so, which is a little less than a CBOB these days.

It looks like it has some good features, like an enhanced frame and nice checkering. Everything is forged too.

I posted some info and specs.

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/scorpion1.jpg

The C.O. Arms Scorpion is the original high quality 1911 made by C.O. Arms. With a forged stainless steel slide and frame, the craftsmanship of this pistol is unmistakable. The Scorpion model also features a match grade barrel and quality high-end sighting system that truly sets it apart and above others in its class.

With a close attention to detail and an evidence of raw talent, the men and women at C.O. Arms work to create a timeless, American-made product that will please any gun owner or enthusiast who shares in the legacy of the 1911.

Technical Specs for C.O.Arms Scorpion
MSRP: $1199

Frame: Forged stainless steel with checkered front strap
Slide: Forged stainless steel with rear cocking serrations
Sight cuts: Novak low pro
Barrel: 4 in forged stainless steel with broach cut rifling
Sights: Novak style
Trigger: 3 hole light weight adjustable
Hammer: Commander Style
Mainspring Housing: Flat
Grip Safety: .250 beavertail
Slide stop: Extended to rear
Thumb Safety: standard
Magazine release: Standard
Guide rod: Full Length
Barrel Bushing: Match grade stainless steel
Lowered and flared ejection port, throated barrel, with hand fit internal parts.
Magazines: 2
Grip screws: hex head

Strangly enough, the company is starting out with this Scorpion commander and a 3.5" barrel 1911 with a full sized frame called AWP. They aren't building a full size 1911 yet. The owner told my dealer they should be ready to ship in a few weeks. If I like it, I'll be picking it up for sure. :)

We may have a nicely fitted, reasonably priced new 1911 on the market. :dunno:

Thoughts?

BubbaShoots
06-03-2010, 11:43
I appreciate your willingness to look and report. This looks like a value, on paper. Competition serves us well providing us best values. I look forward to your report when you have seen it.

Atticum
06-03-2010, 12:13
now they need to bob it ;)

PlasticGuy
06-03-2010, 12:17
I've seen a few ads for it in a couple of magazines. I'm interested to hear what you think of the quality. However, a 3.5" 1911 with a full sized grip is just wierd. The barrel is too short for it to be a good range gun. The grip is too long to be an ideal ccw choice. It seems like it wouldn't do anything very well.

Tactical black
06-03-2010, 12:23
Looks decent in the pics but it's always hard to tell without holding it in person. I can't say I like the roll marks much though.

bac1023
06-03-2010, 12:39
I've seen a few ads for it in a couple of magazines. I'm interested to hear what you think of the quality. However, a 3.5" 1911 with a full sized grip is just wierd. The barrel is too short for it to be a good range gun. The grip is too long to be an ideal ccw choice. It seems like it wouldn't do anything very well.

True, but the Scorpion pictured above is a true commander at 4.25". I wouldn't touch the other one.

bac1023
06-03-2010, 12:40
Looks decent in the pics but it's always hard to tell without holding it in person. I can't say I like the roll marks much though.

I don't either, but they aren't nearly as bad as some. :whistling:

rsxr22
06-03-2010, 12:58
I think the AWP model looks really attractive. It will be tough with them to compete with all of the other companies out there especially with them being right around the same price point as most. Im all for competition but in order to beat the competition these days you have to offer something better or the same at a cheaper price. I guess well just have to wait and see what goes on

Hokie1911
06-03-2010, 13:10
C.O. ARMS .45

Rollmark? What rollmark?

bac1023
06-03-2010, 13:13
C.O. ARMS .45

Rollmark? What rollmark?

Its not as bad as the Desert Eagle 1911. :tongueout:

bac1023
06-03-2010, 13:15
I think the AWP model looks really attractive. It will be tough with them to compete with all of the other companies out there especially with them being right around the same price point as most. Im all for competition but in order to beat the competition these days you have to offer something better or the same at a cheaper price. I guess well just have to wait and see what goes on

The AWP seems odd to me with a full size frame and 3.5" barrel. I do believe its the only one like that on the market. It also has an aluminum frame.

Hokie1911
06-03-2010, 13:16
Its not as bad as the Desert Eagle 1911. :tongueout:

True. That's a bargain. Half the price....double the rollmark. Woohoo.

bac1023
06-03-2010, 13:30
True. That's a bargain. Half the price....double the rollmark. Woohoo.

:rofl:

I'll have mine in a couple days. :supergrin:

drc767
06-03-2010, 13:48
Interesting....They are out of the Memphis, TN area. I sent an email and asked about their dealer program.

bac1023
06-03-2010, 14:04
Interesting....They are out of the Memphis, TN area. I sent an email and asked about their dealer program.

Cool Dave.

Let me know how you make out. :)

CMG
06-03-2010, 15:39
C.O. ARMS .45

Rollmark? What rollmark?

So, that's the definition of: Glaring

:supergrin:

glock2740
06-03-2010, 15:41
I like it. Good looking gun. Roll marks aren't any worse than any STI I've ever seen.

CMG
06-03-2010, 15:42
The AWP seems odd to me with a full size frame and 3.5" barrel. I do believe its the only one like that on the market. It also has an aluminum frame.

Colt made at least two different models like that. "Commanding Officers" was one (I once owned the 9mm version), but I can't remember the other.

(Found it - Lt. Commander)

Some pics here:
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=103885

bac1023
06-03-2010, 16:05
Colt made at least two different models like that. "Commanding Officers" was one (I once owned the 9mm version), but I can't remember the other.

(Found it - Lt. Commander)

Some pics here:
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=103885

Nobody makes anything currently though, as far as I know.

Russ424
06-03-2010, 17:10
a 3.5" 1911 with a full sized grip is just wierd. The barrel is too short for it to be a good range gun. The grip is too long to be an ideal ccw choice. It seems like it wouldn't do anything very well.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :goodpost:

However the Scorpian looks great and seems to be priced well. As far as I am concerned the more 1911 manufactures the better :wavey:

bac1023
06-03-2010, 17:24
I like it. Good looking gun. Roll marks aren't any worse than any STI I've ever seen.

Yeah, on 1911s below $1500 or so, I don't let the rollmarking bother me.

If I'm going to spend a lot for a high end model, then its a different story.

Plus, I don't think the Scorpion's roll marks are all that bad. I've seen far worse.

Free Radical
06-03-2010, 17:37

Plus, I don't think the Scorpion's roll marks are all that bad. I've seen far worse.

Too large for my tastes. That is not the place to advertise.

glock2740
06-03-2010, 18:00

True. It has every feature that I like in a 1911. Especially a 1911 for CC. I like that it's stainless(slide and frame), decent sights, but dovetailed for good night sights, if that's a desire, checkered front strap, flat MSH, no ambi safety, memory pad on the beavertail grip safety, skeletonized hammed and trigger, nice wood grips, rounded butt and no FCS(I know it's a commander sized gun, but it's a plus anyway). And it's at a good decent price. If it's accurate and reliable, then add it to the list. Damn you BAC! Why did you have to go and show me something else I want now?! :rofl:

glock2740
06-03-2010, 18:03
Too large for my tastes. That is not the place to advertise.
For those features and at that price, if it's an accurate and reliable gun, you could always have the roll marks removed and have it bead blasted, since it's a stainless slide and frame. Those roll marks don't bother me too bad.

Jim Watson
06-03-2010, 18:06
I count an extended slide stop to be a poor choice and an indication of ignorance on the assembler's part. They are awful bad about engaging themselves at random.

There is a gap between frame and beavertail you could drag the original beaver through. That would be acceptable on a SA Loaded at half the price, but not at this level.

glock2740
06-03-2010, 18:16
I count an extended slide stop to be a poor choice and an indication of ignorance on the assembler's part. They are awful bad about engaging themselves at random.

There is a gap between frame and beavertail you could drag the original beaver through. That would be acceptable on a SA Loaded at half the price, but not at this level.
That gun reatails for $1200. Which means it will be had at a gun shop for right at $1000. You tell me where I can go get a stainless SA Loaded, or a blued one for that matter, for $500 or even $600, and I'll but one tomorrow. Hell, I'll buy two.

BOGE
06-03-2010, 18:59
...There is a gap between frame and beavertail you could drag the original beaver through...

:rofl::rofl::animlol:

Blaster
06-03-2010, 19:34

I noticed both of those myself. Also the mainspring housing appears to be overhanging the frame.

bac1023
06-03-2010, 20:11

Huh?

Since when is a Loaded half this price? :upeyes:

I see Loaded models up to $1000, which is what this will be selling for. Obviously, I haven't seen this gun yet, but I'll bet its a hell of a lot nicer than the Loaded. Most 1911s are.

bac1023
06-03-2010, 20:12
That gun reatails for $1200. Which means it will be had at a gun shop for right at $1000. You tell me where I can go get a stainless SA Loaded, or a blued one for that matter, for $500 or even $600, and I'll but one tomorrow. Hell, I'll buy two.

I agree, I don't know what he's talking about. :dunno:

Besides that, the Loaded is a lousy 1911, in my opinion.

glock2740
06-03-2010, 20:35

Not much of a fan myself. I do like TRP's. But if I was getting a SA 1911 and it wasn't a TRP, it would be a GI or a Mil Spec and it would be about to go under the knife, oops, I mean dremmel, in a gunsmith's shop :cool: Maybe somewhere in Arizona...:whistling:

Hokie1911
06-03-2010, 20:42

That's just one man's opinion. Jeez, what does this Bac guy know about 1911s anyway. Having 40,000 posts has gone to his head. :whistling:

bac1023
06-03-2010, 20:43
Not much of a fan myself. I do like TRP's. But if I was getting a SA 1911 and it wasn't a TRP, it would be a GI or a Mil Spec and it would be about to go under the knife, oops, I mean dremmel, in a gunsmith's shop :cool: Maybe somewhere in Arizona...:whistling:

Yeah, I love the TRP, the GI, and the Springfield Custom 1911s.

I just don't care much for the Loaded. Never did.

bac1023
06-03-2010, 20:44
That's just one man's opinion. Jeez, what does this Bac guy know about 1911s anyway. Having 40,000 posts has gone to his head. :whistling:

Actually, I just got stirred up. :embarassed:

Its not a lousy 1911. I just never cared for it, because I feel Kimber and S&W do a nicer job in the same price range.

Jim Watson
06-03-2010, 20:45
Guess it has been too long since I bought a gun; prices are out of sight.
Have to work on that.

Hokie1911
06-03-2010, 20:45

Arizona dremmel jockey huh? :rofl: He's going to be getting my biz soon too.

bac1023
06-03-2010, 20:47

If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were referring to Chuck. ;)

glock2740
Have to work on that.
Jim, you gotta get out more my friend :supergrin: That's not a bad price on a decent 1911 these days.

bac1023
Have to work on that.

That's cool Jim.

Sorry for the abrupt response. :wavey:

remat
06-04-2010, 00:29
Nice! It appears to be well thought out (although the AWP is not for me).
I will be curious as to your evaluation of the hand fit internals.

Hey, doesn't Baer already have a 1911 called the Stinger?

Quack
06-04-2010, 07:00

i bought one NIB for $499 at Gander Mountain. :tongueout:

glock2740
06-04-2010, 07:56
i bought one NIB for $499 at Gander Mountain. :tongueout:
Well, I guess I'll be getting 2 new Loadeds tomorrow :crying:

SagKC
06-04-2010, 12:27
For those features and at that price, if it's an accurate and reliable gun, you could always have the roll marks removed and have it bead blasted, since it's a stainless slide and frame. Those roll marks don't bother me too bad.

:thumbsup:

CMG
06-04-2010, 16:26
Have to work on that.

bac is basically a 1911 salesman who likes to keep all the samples. :supergrin:

He likes lots of variants, some I find attractive, others, well, they are still 1911s. :embarassed: