NOOB to AR-15 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : NOOB to AR-15

Frameman
06-03-2010, 11:45
I am considering the purchase of an AR-15 style weapon for fun and SD. I am drawn to the higher priced weapons but am not completely sold on anything at this time. Is there a Favorite of yours when judged on reliability and accessory potntial and is 5.56 or 7.62 my best choice for sizing?
Thanks in advance.

Constructor
06-08-2010, 01:43
The 7.62 ARs(AR10 or DPMS LR308) are heavy, apx 9lbs is the lightest I have seen.
I would stick with an AR15 for better weight, reliability, better mags, option choices and there are a few caliber choices too. 5.56 may be the cheapest to practice with or take carbine courses, the 6.8 can be used for HD and hunting in states that 24 cal is minimum. A lot of guys are trying the 7.62x39 again because of the cheap ammo.
I would not buy a stainless barrel if you plan to shoot a lot, a nitro-carburized or chrome-lined barrel would be better and don't fall for the hammer-forged fad that is going on at the moment, I had 2 to test for possible use in all of our builds and both crowns were bad so we wont be using hammer forged barrels. I would stick with a DI(gas operated) unless you buy a SCAR, some of the AR15 piston rifles are cycling early(flames shooting out of the ejection port) which is tough on parts and accuracy,
even some of the M110s are reported to throw sparkes and flames. Other than the SCAR I would look at Colt, LMT, on the higher end if you shoot more, Armalite, and RRA on the lower end if you don't shoot so much. RRA has decent barrels when stainless or chrome-lined but I would opt for the 2 stage trigger or change out the lower parts kit completely.
We sell more Viking Tactics TRX rails(handguard) than any other guard for the last year 7:1.

Frameman
06-08-2010, 05:58
Thanks for the info. I will use it when I build.