Decided on Ranger T out of G27, but which grain would you use? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Decided on Ranger T out of G27, but which grain would you use?

outdoorsman44
06-03-2010, 11:52
Hey guys, I've finally decided to use the Ranger T's out of my G27. I just don't know whether to go with the 165gr or the 180gr. I've seen some great info about the 165gr, but what would you choose?:wavey: All info is greatly appreciated!

MURRAY
06-03-2010, 13:32
I would search I think there maybe some topics on Ranger T and bullet weight I would worry less about weight for either and more about basic shooting training and such either will serve you the last batch I bought was 180 cause I couldnt find 165 I have used both

outdoorsman44
06-03-2010, 13:43
I would search I think there maybe some topics on Ranger T and bullet weight I would worry less about weight for either and more about basic shooting training and such either will serve you the last batch I bought was 180 cause I couldnt find 165 I have used both
Yea, I have done extensive searching on this topic. I did see some good threads and info... basically wanted to see what others would choose. So I guess you would prefer the 165gr Ranger T?

MURRAY
06-03-2010, 13:48
no sorry I jumped the gun on my reply and hit enter too fast I would stick with 180 now in the ranger t going forward I have shot a ton of both and seem to think my 27 and 22 I use like the 180 smidge better. Now a days alot of times its not best load its the load you can find

outdoorsman44
06-03-2010, 13:59
I also totally agree with you that proper training and learning to shoot is way more important than subtle bullet weights, BUT I was just looking for what others think as to which one to get. I always try to gather the best info I can, especially when ammo costs so much these days. Thanks again in advance guys!

MURRAY
06-03-2010, 14:01
I am sorry I just re checked mine I didnt want to sound like a jerk so if I did I am sorry good luck in your search I am packing my 27 and 180 Ranger as I type this. Have a good one

outdoorsman44
06-03-2010, 14:16
I am sorry I just re checked mine I didnt want to sound like a jerk so if I did I am sorry good luck in your search I am packing my 27 and 180 Ranger as I type this. Have a good one
Don't worry, you didn't sound like a jerk at all. I appreciate you taking the time to reply and thanks for the info!

degoodman
06-03-2010, 14:50
Hey guys, I've finally decided to use the Ranger T's out of my G27. I just don't know whether to go with the 165gr or the 180gr. I've seen some great info about the 165gr, but what would you choose?:wavey: All info is greatly appreciated!

This is the part where you get a whole bunch of questions from "us".

What was the basis for your decision to choose Ranger-T's? Have you even shot any of them yet to know definitively that they'll work in YOUR G27, hit at the point of aim, recoil and report within what you can tolerate, etc? Have you found a source for them that allows you to purchase one load or the other in sufficient quantity at a reasonable price to facilitate both that testing, and having enough left to carry them, and rotate your carry ammo on a reasonable schedule. Because stuff like that matters a whole lot more than pretty pictures of expanded bullets in some gun rag, or someone else's testing posted on the internet. If you haven't done any of that stuff yet, I'd say that we're getting the cart before the horse in terms of ammunition selection.

That having been said, the G27 is a short barreled pistol. Most of the published test results and ballistics that are out there were shot with full sized duty pistols. Because of that, you are definitely going to lose velocity compared to the published goodies in the rags and on the web.

The one thing that can be said with certainty is that heavier for caliber bullets lose proportionally less velocity from shortening the barrel than middle or light weight bullets relative to caliber. So when selecting bullets for a short barrel pistol, the general recommendation is that you go with a heavy for caliber offering, because its likely to be closer to the design operating window for expansion in a given caliber than a light for caliber bullet. That points you towards the 180's.

All that gives you is a starting point though. I'd start with the 180's, but before I made a purchase in quantity, especially at the prices that defensive ammo commands these days, I'd get one box of the stuff and send it downrange. See if the stuff shoots OK in your gun, and isn't hitting 6" below your point of aim or something wierd like that, because that does happen from time to time. If that first box works out OK, then buy a couple hundred, shoot half of them for a more extensive reliability examination, and some defensive drills and practice at the same time. Hold the last 100 as your carry ammo, and shoot them out and rotate in a new magazine worth every 6 months to a year.

LoadedTech
06-03-2010, 15:24
I personally like the lighter bullets from a short barrel gun, but thats me.

outdoorsman44
06-03-2010, 19:33
This is the part where you get a whole bunch of questions from "us".

What was the basis for your decision to choose Ranger-T's? Have you even shot any of them yet to know definitively that they'll work in YOUR G27, hit at the point of aim, recoil and report within what you can tolerate, etc? Have you found a source for them that allows you to purchase one load or the other in sufficient quantity at a reasonable price to facilitate both that testing, and having enough left to carry them, and rotate your carry ammo on a reasonable schedule. Because stuff like that matters a whole lot more than pretty pictures of expanded bullets in some gun rag, or someone else's testing posted on the internet. If you haven't done any of that stuff yet, I'd say that we're getting the cart before the horse in terms of ammunition selection.

That having been said, the G27 is a short barreled pistol. Most of the published test results and ballistics that are out there were shot with full sized duty pistols. Because of that, you are definitely going to lose velocity compared to the published goodies in the rags and on the web.

The one thing that can be said with certainty is that heavier for caliber bullets lose proportionally less velocity from shortening the barrel than middle or light weight bullets relative to caliber. So when selecting bullets for a short barrel pistol, the general recommendation is that you go with a heavy for caliber offering, because its likely to be closer to the design operating window for expansion in a given caliber than a light for caliber bullet. That points you towards the 180's.

All that gives you is a starting point though. I'd start with the 180's, but before I made a purchase in quantity, especially at the prices that defensive ammo commands these days, I'd get one box of the stuff and send it downrange. See if the stuff shoots OK in your gun, and isn't hitting 6" below your point of aim or something wierd like that, because that does happen from time to time. If that first box works out OK, then buy a couple hundred, shoot half of them for a more extensive reliability examination, and some defensive drills and practice at the same time. Hold the last 100 as your carry ammo, and shoot them out and rotate in a new magazine worth every 6 months to a year.
As far as the reason why I chose to go with the Ranger T's is that I have read great things about them, but also because I use them in my G30. I use 230grainers, and have tested that gun with them (shot about 400 rounds through it with no problems) and have a box left for carry ammo.

Yes, I have seen reports by people that I talk to that use the 165gr version through their G27 and have shot it through ballistic gelatin. This same person also tested the 180gr version, and he showed the pics and it expanded less, and the penetration was just about the same. People have said that it seems the 165gr Ranger T fits their G27 amzingly.

You are right though, that 180gr bullets lose less velocity coming from a shorter barrel like the G27. So, I keep going back and forth when deciding which one to go with. Like you said, I should probably get a box of each and see which ones me and my G27 like better.

dyvegas
06-05-2010, 20:35
From what info I have read, I would go with the 165gr

JW1178
06-05-2010, 20:43
15gr isn't going to make a big difference, but the 180 will only be going about 900fps or so out of a 3.5" barrel, while a 165 will be cracking into that 1000fps range which will offer better or at least earlier expansion. 180 have low flash and recoil, almost upper 9mm type recoil which can really help in a snappy 27.

orangevol
06-05-2010, 21:46
Call me strange, but I keep 155 gr Hornady TAP in my 27, 165 gr Federal HST's in my 23 and 180 gr Remington Golden Saber in my 22.

TSAX
06-06-2010, 14:26
The 165 has better velocity and thats what I use but good training and shot placement helps more than the + 15 grains

outdoorsman44
06-06-2010, 15:08
I wonder what kind of velocity the 165gr Ranger T has coming out of the short barrel of the G27? I'd assume it's somewhere over 1,000?

DRT
06-06-2010, 16:43
Generally, various full-powered 165gr ammo run 1060-1090fps out of my G27, about 9-10% slower than my G35.