Is shooting Reloads in my Glock OK? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is shooting Reloads in my Glock OK?

Flipz
06-03-2010, 12:45
So Im thinking of getting into reloading to start saving some money on ammo. Ive heard from some that reloads and Glocks dont mix, while others say its fine. I tend to believe that they are fine in Glocks and I think it all depends on the load. I dont plan on loading hot loads at all, they would be conservative loads right in the middle of the spectrum. I would only be using FMJ or TMJ bullets to reload, no lead whatsoever.

So my question to all of you is:

Is it ok to shoot FMJ reloads with a conservative load out of a Glock?

DRAGON1970
06-03-2010, 13:00
I have a couple Glocks that have never seen a factory round. I continue to load the brass also. Go ahead and reaload....the cost savings will allow you to shoot more.

ron59
06-03-2010, 13:10
So Im thinking of getting into reloading to start saving some money on ammo. Ive heard from some that reloads and Glocks dont mix, while others say its fine. I tend to believe that they are fine in Glocks and I think it all depends on the load. I dont plan on loading hot loads at all, they would be conservative loads right in the middle of the spectrum. I would only be using FMJ or TMJ bullets to reload, no lead whatsoever.

So my question to all of you is:

Without a doubt. There *can* be issues with shooting lead, but that is fixed by purchasing a LW barrel for $100 that has traditional rifling (or any other choice of aftermarket barrel).

We have a LOT of competitive shooters on here, that shoot Glocks. No way could they afford to be able to shoot the large number of rounds that require without reloading. I've personally loaded 16,000+ rounds just since last July 1st. This allows me to shoot almost DOUBLE the rounds that I would be able to with shooting factory ammo (assuming I could even find it).

I load 9mm Montana Gold 147gr CMJ bullets, and heartily recommend any of their bullets.

AZBru88
06-03-2010, 13:10
Flipz heres where I order my bullets from:
Montana Gold Bullets (https://secure3.mooseweb.com/montanagoldbullet.com/pricelist.tpl)

I usually just buy the JHP. Price is about the same.

LoadedTech
06-03-2010, 13:47
I just reload with plated bullets and not worry about leading up my barrel or buying a $100 replacement. Plated is cheaper then FMJ, and a tad more then lead bullets.

youngvr4
06-03-2010, 13:49
the question is not "is it ok to shoot reloads through my glock" its "are my reloads ok"

MonsterB
06-03-2010, 14:09
:faint:the question is not "is it ok to shoot reloads through my glock" its "are my reloads ok" True that!

Flipz
06-03-2010, 14:40
Totally agree and understand.

Thats why I would be loading with very conservative, middle of the spectrum, loads. I wouldnt be loading any hot loads at all.

If the powder I was using called for a minimum load of 4gr's and a maximum loading of 5 gr's I would be loading at 4.5gr's. I would just keep the loads average, nothing hot and nothing light, just right in the middle.

Ive heard great things about the Montana Gold's. What do you think of the Rainier 124gr TCJ "leadfree" bullets?

By the way, I think Id be going with a basic Dillon 550B setup. And Id probably use either Bullseye or Unique powder. The cases I would get from the range. Theres always a steady supply of free brass there.

Im still doing a lot of research/learning but Im definitely thinking/wanting to begin reloading.

AZBru88
06-03-2010, 14:59
Flipz I have two 550 one for small and one for large primers. One 450 Dillon for my 300 Win Mag (old solid frame model), and one sq. deal b model for doing 38 spec. Wasn't worth selling. I use a ton of range brass.
Never used Rainiers bullets.
Powders I use a lot of Unique and Bluedot, for pistols. Its just what I use. Unique can be a dirty powder.
Sounds like your off to a great start. Best of luck...Bru

LoadedTech
06-03-2010, 15:08

YES you can!

Flipz
06-03-2010, 15:09
Flipz I have two 550 one for small and one for large primers. One 450 Dillon for my 300 Win Mag (old solid frame model), and one sq. deal b model for doing 38 spec. Wasn't worth selling. I use a ton of range brass.
Never used Rainiers bullets.
Powders I use a lot of Unique and Bluedot, for pistols. Its just what I use. Unique can be a dirty powder.
Sounds like your off to a great start. Best of luck...Bru
Thanks!

I was looking at the link for the Montana Gold Bullets and I may use them instead. It looks like it would be cheaper ordering them in bulk than the Rainier's.

For right now I would just be reloading 9mm but would end up also reloading .40 S&W and .45acp at some point. Thats my main reason for going with the 550B instead of Dillon's Square B Deal. It would just be easier to change Tool Heads that were already set up for each caliber with its own powder measure. I know I would also need the caliber conversion kits for each new caliber also.

Just doing the math it looks like I would save about $2.50 for every 50 9mm bullets reloaded vs. buying them at Wally World. Its not much but it would add up overtime and would pay off the initial startup costs. After that its all savings that can be used to buy more Tool Heads and Dies for other calibers.

I go to the range every weekend so hopefully the savings would add up fast. But Im happy to start with just one caliber. It would allow me time to really learn and become more comfortable with reloading.

ron59
06-03-2010, 15:17
You can save more than that, but you have to buy your components in bulk.

I order 10,000 primers at a time, from Powder Valley. They will be listed as backordered, but order anyway. Buy what you need locally or wherever until they come in.

Once you find a powder you *like* (don't do this until you've experimented), buy powder in 8 lb jugs from Powder Valley.

I buy a case of bullets (3000 147grainers) at a time.

By doing this, I can reload 1000 bullets for $138. It'll cost closer to $250 to buy 1000 from Wally World. And that's with me buying the more expensive 147gr bullet. Buy some 115 or 124 grainers, and it'll be cheaper still.

I just got into reloading last year because of cost/availability. If you buy in bulk, you can save a LOT! Plus have ammo anytime you want it, and it's better as well.

Check out our reloading forum for info or questions you might have.... lots of knowledgeable guys there.

Flipz
06-03-2010, 15:27
You can save more than that, but you have to buy your components in bulk.

I order 10,000 primers at a time, from Powder Valley. They will be listed as backordered, but order anyway. Buy what you need locally or wherever until they come in.

Once you find a powder you *like* (don't do this until you've experimented), buy powder in 8 lb jugs from Powder Valley.

I buy a case of bullets (3000 147grainers) at a time.

By doing this, I can reload 1000 bullets for $138. It'll cost closer to $250 to buy 1000 from Wally World. And that's with me buying the more expensive 147gr bullet. Buy some 115 or 124 grainers, and it'll be cheaper still.

I just got into reloading last year because of cost/availability. If you buy in bulk, you can save a LOT! Plus have ammo anytime you want it, and it's better as well.

Check out our reloading forum for info or questions you might have.... lots of knowledgeable guys there.

I sure will. I only posted this thread here because I specifically wanted the opinion of Glock owners that reload. But I plan to take my question on over to the Reloading Forum.

By the way, do you have a link to Powder Valley that you could share? Id appreciate it.
Thanks!

*EDIT*
Nevermind I found the website.
Thanks again!

AZBru88
06-03-2010, 15:33
I go to the range every weekend so hopefully the savings would add up fast.
Reloading and guns will never save you money! It will allow you to shoot more and enjoy your handheld investments!:rofl:There's always some thing to add to the collection, reloading bench, ect..... Its a addiction! But a fun one! Enjoy!....Bru

Flipz
06-03-2010, 15:44
Reloading and guns will never save you money! It will allow you to shoot more and enjoy your handheld investments!:rofl:There's always some thing to add to the collection, reloading bench, ect..... Its a addiction! But a fun one! Enjoy!....Bru
So true! I was trying to live blissfully in denial. :supergrin:

AZBru88
06-03-2010, 15:51
So true! I was trying to live blissfully in denial. :supergrin:
Been there, done that!:laughabove::rofl:

tpaw
06-03-2010, 17:24
Just be sure your reloads are according to specks. Most Ka Booms I heard of were with reloads.

Butch
06-03-2010, 17:45
the question is not "is it ok to shoot reloads through my glock" its "are my reloads ok"
Exactly.

Shooting reloads won't void your warranty, but damage caused by shooting reloads will not be repaired under warranty.

If the loading manual calls for 4 to 5 grains, start with 4 grains....that's why they call it a 'starting' load, then work up to 4.5 grains.....and get more than one manual.

If you only plan to load pistol ammo, I'd suggest the Dillon Square Deal press.

I've been reloading for nearly four decades...... :wow:

NoComp
06-03-2010, 17:48

Absolutely, as long as they are FMJ - copper jacketed.

DWARREN123
06-03-2010, 18:29
I reload 40 S&W only and the only guns in 40 I have are Glocks. I reload for them and some loads are pretty warm. I reload plated, lead and jacketed bullets
I have not had a problem with my reloads but have had a couple with cheaper factory loads.
Try it and see how it works out, it may surprise you.
Good luck and be safe.

YogiBearFan
06-03-2010, 18:41
I just reload with plated bullets and not worry about leading up my barrel or buying a $100 replacement. Plated is cheaper then FMJ, and a tad more then lead bullets.

+1000

I only shoot Berry's plated 180gr in my G22.

Subsonic, not beyond the capability of the bullet, cheap, and matches most SD and JHP loads for 15yds or less, which is what I practice at.

En9999
06-03-2010, 18:45
I shot plenty of reloads from Georgia Arms through my G19 when I had it (and have done the same with my G22). I've never had any problems.

j-glock22
06-03-2010, 18:55
there seems to be a premise about reloads and Glock .40's.... I think you'll be fine with 'virgin' brass with those, but many will say they reload all calibers (if done properly and safely) with no problems.

njl
06-03-2010, 22:05

Which ones, and where are you able to get them cheaper than jacketed? Other than a few people who bulk order plated bullets 10k or more at a time and get special pricing, I think this is a myth.

Last 9mm bullets I bought was a case of 124gr JHP from Montana Gold for $300 delivered. That's $0.08 per bullet.

Flipz
06-04-2010, 09:22
Exactly.

Shooting reloads won't void your warranty, but damage caused by shooting reloads will not be repaired under warranty.

If the loading manual calls for 4 to 5 grains, start with 4 grains....that's why they call it a 'starting' load, then work up to 4.5 grains.....and get more than one manual.

I looked at the Square Deal B from Dillon. If youre only going to load 1 caliber than its a great buy. However I plan to eventually load 3 calibers. And the Caliber Conversion Kits are twice as much money for the Square Deal B ($81.95) then they are for the 550B ($43.95). In the end it basically becomes a wash if youre going to be loading 3 different calibers. So I might as well just go with the 550B from the begining. The 550B gives me a much larger choice in dies since the SDB uses a proprietary die. The 550B also allows for many different parts to be added as money permits, when the SDB is "as is".

I just did the math, and a Dillon 550B with 3 different caliber setups (9mm,.40,.45) would be $507.85. And the Dillon Square Deal B with 3 different caliber setups (9mm,.40,.45) would be $518.95. So the 550B would actually be even cheaper then the SDB. Not by much, but it would be cheaper.

I also like the fact that if I plan to reload rifle rounds at some point that I have that option with the 550B.

Thanks for the advice, and I do trust your experience, but Im going with the 550B. For me, it offers exactly what I want in a press.

Bamamedic
06-04-2010, 09:32
Exactly.

In my warranty papers it clearly stated that the use of reloads will void the warranty.

Not only is there an issue with the lead bullets, the glock barrel is not fully supported which causes the base of the case to buldge after shooting. I recommend an aftermarket barrel. Many people have shot thousands of rounds with no problems but there are a few that have had catastrophic failures. You take chances or not. Your choice. I don't take chances.

njl
06-04-2010, 09:35
I looked at the Square Deal B from Dillon. If youre only going to load 1 caliber than its a great buy. However I plan to eventually load 3 calibers. And the Caliber Conversion Kits are twice as much money for the Square Deal B ($81.95) then they are for the 550B ($43.95). In the end it basically becomes a wash if youre going to be loading 3 different calibers. So I might as well just go with the 550B from the begining. The 550B gives me a much larger choice in dies since the SDB uses a proprietary die. The 550B also allows for many different parts to be added as money permits, when the SDB is "as is".

I just did the math, and a Dillon 550B with 3 different caliber setups (9mm,.40,.45) would be $507.85. And the Dillon Square Deal B with 3 different caliber setups (9mm,.40,.45) would be $518.95. So the 550B would actually be even cheaper then the SDB. Not by much, but it would be cheaper.

I also like the fact that if I plan to reload rifle rounds at some point that I have that option with the 550B.

Thanks for the advice, and I do trust your experience, but Im going with the 550B. For me, it offers exactly what I want in a press.

In your comparison math for caliber conversions, did you factor in that the SDB conversions include Dillon's SDB-proprietary dies, while the 550B conversions do not include dies?

Other reasons to go with the 550B:

You might ever want to reload rifle calibers, bottle neck pistol calibers, or any caliber not supported by the SDB.

I've heard the geometry of the SDB is kind of cramped, so if you have big hands, it might be more difficult to operate.

Flipz
06-04-2010, 09:53
In your comparison math for caliber conversions, did you factor in that the SDB conversions include Dillon's SDB-proprietary dies, while the 550B conversions do not include dies?

Other reasons to go with the 550B:

You might ever want to reload rifle calibers, bottle neck pistol calibers, or any caliber not supported by the SDB.

I've heard the geometry of the SDB is kind of cramped, so if you have big hands, it might be more difficult to operate.
Awwww, you got me there. Thanks for pointing that out. I already knew it but it slipped my mind when doing the math.

Factoring in the dies the 550 setup for 3 calibers would be somewhere around $120-$150 more then my math showed. But Im ok with that. Ive just heard great things about the 550B. I want a press that can grow with me as I progress into different calibers. Having the option to use multiple Tool Heads, use non-proprietary dies, load rifle calibers, etc... just makes the 550B stand out to me.

I also do have larger hands and did notice that the SDB is a little cramped compared to the 550B.

AZBru88
06-04-2010, 09:57
My first Dillon I started with was a Sq Deals. Great if you want a dedicated caliber for pistol. If your considering other calibers go with the 550. I own 4 Dillon's and have loaded thousands of rounds on them over my many years. Great machines. Just knocked out 800 rounds of 9mm yesterday, in about 2 1/2 hours. Leaves a lot more time for shooting. Great company to deal with too!

Spike32
06-04-2010, 11:02
Reloading can be fun, and will allow you to shoot much more for the same price as factory ammo. Just make sure to spend the time and effort to make sure the ammo meets specs and you'll be fine.

Bamamedic
06-05-2010, 14:59
Directly from the Glock instruction/warranty manual:
Page 15 section 26 (in red)
The use of reloaded ammuntion will void the Glock warranty, due to the unpredictability of the standards (sami/nato) adhered to , since reloads of poor quality ammunition may not meet specs, may exceed safe limits, and therefore may be unsafe.

Butch
06-05-2010, 15:15
Directly from the Glock instruction/warranty manual:
Page 15 section 26 (in red)
The use of reloaded ammuntion will void the Glock warranty, due to the unpredictability of the standards (sami/nato) adhered to , since reloads of poor quality ammunition may not meet specs, may exceed safe limits, and therefore may be unsafe.
Yup, and if damage is done to your Glock by shooting crappy reloads in it, they will not repair it under warranty.

But, if your trigger spring breaks, it has nothing to do with your reloads and they will still fix it.

HAMMERHEAD
06-05-2010, 19:59
What do you think of the Rainier 124gr TCJ "leadfree" bullets?
I shoot a lot of Rainier bullets in my Glock and other pistols, good bullets.

PghJim
06-06-2010, 18:29
I reload a lot. The only real issue is with older (and maybe newer) 40 S&W that do not have fully supported chambers and will buldge fired cases that cannot be made right by resizing. I have aftermarket barrels with fully supported chambers on all my Glock 40's. Besides, the factory barrel twist on the 40 is too fast in my opinion for best accuracy.