Dawson Tactical Advantage Single Stack [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dawson Tactical Advantage Single Stack

BlayGlock
06-03-2010, 14:26
So here is the deal. I currently have in my possession a rare Dave Dawson made single stack. When I called them I was told only about 150 were made by Dave. It is a gun a buddy of mine picked up in a trade and it is a very nice piece. The model is a Tactical Advantage "Spec Ops".

The other day I was at my buddies shop showing off my shiny new Les Baer and he whips this out. He had picked it up in a trade from a Crimson Trace rep for the knife Arnold used in the Predator movie. He asked if I wanted to trade for my Les Baer for this one.

So here is my conundrum: I really like my Les Baer, but this is a chance to get a rare custom gun built by the great Dave Dawson (who runs Dawson Prescion). I know that they will make more TRS's and I can probably get one next year sometime after I pay off a student loan.

However, there are two down sides: The TRS was serving as a backup gun for IDPA. The Dawson has a bull barrel making it illegal for CDP and Single Stack in USPSA.

Second, the rail is unobtrusive, but I wont use it much. It already has the Crimson Trace grips so I dont need a light on there for a bed stand gun. Plus it requires an adapter.

So I have two main questions:
1. Does the Dawson Rail weaken the frame, I plan on shooting this gun as much as I would shoot my Les Baer. Probably around 1000 rounds a month as long as I have time to reload them all.

2. Would you do this trade?

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv239/BlayGlock/DawsonTactical001.jpg

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv239/BlayGlock/DawsonTactical002.jpg

Tactical black
06-03-2010, 14:38
I wouldn't it's just not my type of gun I would way rather have the Les Baer JMHO.

BlayGlock
06-03-2010, 14:57
Its not "really" my type either. The rail is useful for hunting, and I had one of the pistol I used to use to hunt hogs with at night, but Ill probably just take it off. I could get it and send it back to Dave to have him fit a regulare barrel and bushing on it in addition to the bull barrel.

bac1023
06-03-2010, 14:57
I don't like rails on 1911s and despise lasers on anything.

I do, however, like rare handguns. :supergrin:

Not sure, to be honest. If Dave got rid of the rail, I'd do it. I'd also get another set of grips.

cdunn
06-03-2010, 15:12
keep the Baer.

BlayGlock
06-03-2010, 15:15
The rail is held in by a set of screws. I can take it off myself. I called Dawson again and left a message with one of the employees to talk to dave about fitting a regular barrel/Bushing setup and to ask if he still honored a warranty.

CMG
06-03-2010, 15:25
I'm not a Baer fan, but I like the TRS better than that particular Dawson build.

However, I'm not gonna have to look a it everyday! :supergrin:

Good luck with the decision. You can console yourself with the fact you'll have a really nice pistol whichever way you go. :cool:

bac1023
06-03-2010, 16:07
The rail is held in by a set of screws. I can take it off myself.

Very cool.

I wasn't sure just looking at the pic. :)

BlayGlock
06-03-2010, 16:20
Ill try and get a pic of the underside in a bit.

HAIL CAESAR
06-03-2010, 21:23
That looks like it would be an excellent Duty gun or night stand gun. Get some night sights instead of the fiber for that though.

Cobra64
06-04-2010, 01:59
I don't like rails on 1911s and despise lasers on anything.

I do, however, like rare handguns. :supergrin:

Not sure, to be honest. If Dave got rid of the rail, I'd do it. I'd also get another set of grips.

I'd keep the trigger. :rofl:

bac1023
06-04-2010, 04:04
I'd keep the trigger. :rofl:

:laughabove:

BlayGlock
06-04-2010, 05:56
I think I am going to keep the Baer. I just like it more, it is more my style, and I like the looks better. The TRS has been at the top of my list for a while so it is here to stay. Thanks for the input fellas.

Tactical black
06-04-2010, 07:47
I think I am going to keep the Baer. I just like it more, it is more my style, and I like the looks better. The TRS has been at the top of my list for a while so it is here to stay. Thanks for the input fellas.

Unless your are a really hardcore collector I don't think you will ever regret your decision the TRS is a really nice gun.

BlayGlock
06-04-2010, 08:18
Unless your are a really hardcore collector

Im not. All of my guns are for shooting a bunch.

Substance-P
06-04-2010, 09:00
Sounds like the right choice.

farscott
06-04-2010, 10:23
I would be really tempted by that Dawson single-stack. Baer TRS guns are made every day, but Dave Dawson is more-or-less out of the custom business. I might be swayed by my fondness for the Dawson rail.

Whose frame did he build on? It looks like the frame is marked with with a TX USA, so I am guessing STI or SVI. If the latter, even better.

BlayGlock
06-04-2010, 14:21
I belive he used STI frames. Ill talked with them today and Dave said he would not fit a standard barrel on it for me and it would not be under warranty. Anyway, I gave the Dawson back to my buddy.

I did manage to get a rare S&W Model 547 9mm revolver from him though!

bac1023
06-04-2010, 17:06

The TRS is definitely a better looking 1911.

I think its one of the nicest looking 1911s on the market. :)

CMG
06-04-2010, 17:32
I belive he used STI frames. Ill talked with them today and Dave said he would not fit a standard barrel on it for me and it would not be under warranty. Anyway, I gave the Dawson back to my buddy.

I did manage to get a rare S&W Model 547 9mm revolver from him though!

Cool!

The last of those I had was the 3" round-butt model. They were rather unique in the S&W line. IIRC, they were made for overseas sales that didn't pan out, then "dumped" here where they quickly became sought-after collectibles! :supergrin:

Rinspeed
06-04-2010, 21:17
The TRS is definitely a better looking 1911.

I think its one of the nicest looking 1911s on the market. :)

I'll trade you mine for the Valtro. :whistling:

BlayGlock
06-04-2010, 23:50
The last of those I had was the 3" round-butt model. They were rather unique in the S&W line. IIRC, they were made for overseas sales that didn't pan out, then "dumped" here where they quickly became sought-after collectibles! :supergrin:

Yea I heard they were for the Israeli police force or something. This one is a 4" square butt. Im going to be trading it off since I dont like square butt Smiths. I just snagged it because I could probably make double what I gave for it.

bac1023
06-05-2010, 04:49
I'll trade you mine for the Valtro. :whistling:

;) :wavey:

farscott
06-05-2010, 15:43
Heck, I am inclined to trade one of my John Harrison customs or my Baer Prowler III for the Dawson Single-Stack gun.

ETA: Or just buy the lovely thing.

Rinspeed
06-05-2010, 20:34
;) :wavey:

Does that mean you're thinking about it or my head is up my ***. :supergrin:

willowofwisp
06-06-2010, 07:28
I personally would keep the TRS...the dawson gun doesn't fit any of my needs...now if it had the standard bushing/barrel setup my opinion may be different