Is the surefire frontend light the only option? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is the surefire frontend light the only option?

BoxerDog25
06-03-2010, 16:29
Its got to be a fore end mounted light, not attachement to the barrel or another other part of the shotgun. My department does not allow other mounting systems and I would actually prefer that option.

Thoughts? Anyone really like their surefire set up?

Victoriagotagun
06-03-2010, 16:52
What about a railed forearm? Surefire and Ergo make a good one.

MrMurphy
06-03-2010, 17:36
The Surefire and Ergo rail systems do work, but the Surefire integrated fore-end is the primary choice in shotguns for a reason.

aippi
06-03-2010, 18:22
Then no rail system will work as the light is attached to it. Looks like the Surefire is your only option. I am a Surefire professional dealer and sell to LE Agencies and LEO's so my opinion may seem bias, however, I don't brag on the Surefire forends because I sell them, I sell them because I brag on them and use them. These are the only lights I feature on my custom builds and that is because they are that good. Surefire also has the best warranty and customer service in the business and it is the last light you will ever need to buy for that weapon.

Victoriagotagun
06-03-2010, 22:30
TI don't brag on the Surefire forends because I sell them, I sell them because I brag on them and use them. These are the only lights I feature on my custom builds and that is because they are that good.

http://www.aiptactical.com/Police_Elite.php

That doesn't look like a Surefire forend.... :tongueout:

a1b2c3
06-05-2010, 10:17
Surefire forends are great. I've used them on 870s and M16s. Bright and very durable.

DaGroaner
06-05-2010, 10:25
http://www.aiptactical.com/Police_Elite.php

That doesn't look like a Surefire forend.... :tongueout:

OMG! [/facepalm] :rofl:

aippi
06-05-2010, 12:44
Guys, the light on the Police Elite is a Surefire 951Xmo7 and makes the weapon front heavy. I would not use that, however, it is a high quality light and I offer it because some guys don't want a dedicated forend and want one they can take off for things like 3 gun. I do not recommend it, but for those that will not take my advice, I offer the 915 as it is a Surefire.

The OP can not use that system due to Department Policy. Since he can not use a system that attaches to the weapon it seems the dedicated forend light is his only option. So I recommend the Surefire forend. I only offer surefire lights on my weapon and that is a fact. Nice little cartoon guys you posted. I hope they help the OP with his question.

DaGroaner
06-05-2010, 14:18
Guys, the light on the Police Elite is a Surefire 951Xmo7 and makes the weapon front heavy. I would not use that, however, it is a high quality light and I offer it because some guys don't want a dedicated forend and want one they can take off for things like 3 gun. I do not recommend it, but for those that will not take my advice, I offer the 915 as it is a Surefire.

The OP can not use that system due to Department Policy. Since he can not use a system that attaches to the weapon it seems the dedicated forend light is his only option. So I recommend the Surefire forend. I only offer surefire lights on my weapon and that is a fact. Nice little cartoon guys you posted. I hope they help the OP with his question.

Just ribbin' you a little bro. :wavey:

MrMurphy
06-06-2010, 01:14
For once, i agree with Aippi.

A Mini Scout would be the way to go with that setup, it's smaller, brighter, and runs just as long. I've used both on ARs, the Millenium series was a groundbreaking design, but there's better, brighter and smaller now.

RonboF117
06-09-2010, 22:04
I've seen I forestock that has a small picatinny rail on the right side that Brownells or Midway sells. I'm thinking about that on my 870 using my X300 might work well. I just wonder about the light being so close to the gun that it could diffuse some of the light.

I'll try to mock it up to see how it works but if anyone knows anything about this setup it would benefit the original poster and myself.

RonboF117
06-09-2010, 22:58
Ok, I tried it out tonight with attaching the X300 to the right side of the forend with duct tape and the placement was great. It didn't interfere with the beam at all. The nice thing about having it on the right side is that once you turn it on when racking the slide, you don't have to worry about jamming your thumb at all.

The unanswered question is how much the forend moving while racking the slide versus have the light attached to the barrel independent of the forend affects keeping the light on the target in btwn shots.

I don't have the links to websites featuring the forend but you should be able to find them easy enough. The prices were a little spendy though as I remember ($70-90 I think).

I like using picatinny rails whenever possible because the gear is easily transferred from one weapon to another w/o tying up a light for just one weapon.

I hope this helps to answer the original question posted.

Aceman
06-10-2010, 18:16
Well, I haven't ever used the Surefire. And I'm not LEO/Military. However - I am a shooter and a taxpayer, and I'll say this:

There HAS to be solutions that are equally effective, and WAY cheaper! I just have problems with that set of rules. Sounds like someone who wanted Surefires made them up.

PlasticGuy
06-12-2010, 13:44
Well, I haven't ever used the Surefire. And I'm not LEO/Military. However - I am a shooter and a taxpayer, and I'll say this:

There HAS to be solutions that are equally effective, and WAY cheaper! I just have problems with that set of rules. Sounds like someone who wanted Surefires made them up.
No there is not something cheaper and equally effective. Surefire is the best, and has earned the reputation and the price tag.

You're probably right about the second part though. Somebody who knew that Surefire is the best option probably wrote up the requirements so they would be forced to buy good kit.

Aceman
06-13-2010, 19:20
No there is not something cheaper and equally effective. Surefire is the best, and has earned the reputation and the price tag.

You're probably right about the second part though. Somebody who knew that Surefire is the best option probably wrote up the requirements so they would be forced to buy good kit.

Again - best how? That's a subjective term. "Give me the best directions to...." Best meaning fastest? Shortest? Easiest to not get lost?

As has been pointed out - racking the surefire moves the light. Minor point, and any racking may move the light. So what do you define as "best?" Give me some criteria...

Coolest looking on the planet = best. Surefire.

Holds a light sturdy = all kinds of things.

Price / performance ratio, most things beat surefire.

PlasticGuy
06-13-2010, 20:55
Again - best how? That's a subjective term. "Give me the best directions to...." Best meaning fastest? Shortest? Easiest to not get lost?

As has been pointed out - racking the surefire moves the light. Minor point, and any racking may move the light. So what do you define as "best?" Give me some criteria...

Coolest looking on the planet = best. Surefire.

Holds a light sturdy = all kinds of things.

Price / performance ratio, most things beat surefire.
I'll give it a try, in reference to their latest designs:

1) It's an LED, so bulb life is extremely long and it's nearly recoil/impact proof.
2) 110 lumens for 3 hours.
3) No exposed wires.
4) Requires no additional mounting hardware (railed forends, etc.).
5) Sealed well enough to be virtually waterproof.
6) Spare parts and batteries are commonly available.
7) Has both a momentary and a constant on switch.
8) Does not affect grip or technique in any way.

In short, it tops out all categories of attributes. While there are other options that may be equal in a few areas, nothing can match it across the board. That's not to say that buying anything else is automatically a bad choice. They may be good enough for some uses and some people, and cheaper. I do stand firm on my opinion that if you want the absolute best light on your shotgun, you want a Surefire integrated forend.

22highcaps
06-14-2010, 20:34
I'll give it a try, in reference to their latest designs:

1) It's an LED, so bulb life is extremely long and it's nearly recoil/impact proof.
2) 110 lumens for 3 hours.
3) No exposed wires.
4) Requires no additional mounting hardware (railed forends, etc.).
5) Sealed well enough to be virtually waterproof.
6) Spare parts and batteries are commonly available.
7) Has both a momentary and a constant on switch.
8) Does not affect grip or technique in any way.

In short, it tops out all categories of attributes. While there are other options that may be equal in a few areas, nothing can match it across the board. That's not to say that buying anything else is automatically a bad choice. They may be good enough for some uses and some people, and cheaper. I do stand firm on my opinion that if you want the absolute best light on your shotgun, you want a Surefire integrated forend.

All of this plus who cares if the light moves when you rack the gun? It is not a laser. The beam will still illuminate the bad guy regardless of the position of the slide.

Also I like the fact that the controls are handy regardless of if the slide is forward or back. I had a light clamped to mag tube with a tape switch on the forend. It was snag prone and made take down a pain in the butt.