question about the weight or ###gr of ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : question about the weight or ###gr of ammo

240sxs13sleeper
06-03-2010, 17:24
i read through pretty much most of the threads. and cant seem to find out what is better for personal defense. i carry right now magtech .45 acp +P 185gr hollowpoints. i also bought a new box of ammo for the extra mags i bought. it is speer gold dot .45 auto 230gr.

so what is the difference between the weights.. is more weight better? and like stated ealier, better for personal defense. thx in advance.

-thao

Jeepnik
06-03-2010, 19:00
i read through pretty much most of the threads. and cant seem to find out what is better for personal defense. i carry right now magtech .45 acp +P 185gr hollowpoints. i also bought a new box of ammo for the extra mags i bought. it is speer gold dot .45 auto 230gr.

so what is the difference between the weights.. is more weight better? and like stated ealier, better for personal defense. thx in advance.

-thao

It's an eternal question. Which is better light and fast, or heavy and slow. Either round you have selected will be equally effective if two criteria are met. It absolutely must function in "your" handgun every time, and you must hit your intended target in a vital area. Short of say a round from an M-79, peripheral hits can't be counted on to incapacitate. And, if your firearm doesn't go bang, it doesn't matter what is loaded into the magazine or cylinder.

vafish
06-03-2010, 19:02

-thao

A grain is a measurement of weight. There are 7000 grains in a pound.

The weight of the bullet is one component of bullet design. Generally speaking a heavier bullet will penetrate deeper. But the design of the bullet, size of the hollow point cavity, cuts in the jacket, and other factors have an even greater effect on how a bullet expands and penetrates.

Folks have been arguing over light and fast vs slow and heavy since the first caveman started throwing rocks at each other and they'll still be arguing it until we go to some sort of energy weapon like phasers.

And Jeepnik is correct it needs to function 100% in your gun and you need to hit the target for the bullets to work. After that it's all just fluff.

gh0st614
06-03-2010, 20:20
I dont really know much about Magtech JHPs so I would prefer the gold dots but. Both weights have trade offs and advantages and the margin of difference is minimal Im sure.

240sxs13sleeper
06-03-2010, 23:32
gotcha.. thx yall.. you guys are right about it just working 100% off the back.. i just had to get it answered..
...so what is the '+P' all about . more pressure. would that make the magtec 185gr equal to gold dot 230gr?

vafish
06-04-2010, 07:35
gotcha.. thx yall.. you guys are right about it just working 100% off the back.. i just had to get it answered..
...so what is the '+P' all about . more pressure. would that make the magtec 185gr equal to gold dot 230gr?

This should answer most of your questions on +P

http://www.frfrogspad.com/miscellk.htm#+P

240sxs13sleeper
06-04-2010, 14:17
This should answer most of your questions on +P

http://www.frfrogspad.com/miscellk.htm#+P

thx alot. now all my ammo questions have been answered.

-thao

Jeepnik
06-04-2010, 17:18
thx alot. now all my ammo questions have been answered.

-thao

If that be true, grasshopper, you have not yet started on your journey. Over half a century, and I still have questions. But I think I am slowing having more answers than questions. Then again...

240sxs13sleeper
06-07-2010, 16:23
If that be true, grasshopper, you have not yet started on your journey. Over half a century, and I still have questions. But I think I am slowing having more answers than questions. Then again...

true.. lol. well i guess thats all the questions i have for now.

-thao

JW1178
06-07-2010, 21:20
The only correct answer is that there is no correct answer. There are pro's and con's to different weights. You already answered the correct answer with a .45ACP. I am a big fan of the +P, more firepower never killed anyone... well it has, but it's good when you are doing the killing.

You really don't know who or what you might have to shoot. Is the one threatening you life 90lbs or 390lbs.... the great thing about a .45 is that most rounds will do the job quite well for either and everything in between.

gh0st614
06-09-2010, 00:58
Yea you really can argue for all weights in each of the calibers. They all have trade offs and perform differently. One guideline I see alot of people follow is only using bonded bullets since they perform better thru barriers. I like HST which is not a bonded bullet. It just expands wicked big reliably.