Went Mac today! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Went Mac today!

thejellster05
06-03-2010, 20:30
After debating for quite a while, I finally went to the white side today! Brought home a 13" MacBook Pro! :cool:

I'm about 15 minutes in, but I love it so far, I really can't believe the quality!

IndyGunFreak
06-03-2010, 20:51
After debating for quite a while, I finally went to the white side today! Brought home a 13" MacBook Pro! :cool:

I'm about 15 minutes in, but I love it so far, I really can't believe the quality!

Nice... I think part of the appeal of the Mac, is Apple tightly controls hardware, so you *typically* don't end up w/ junk. Their OS is obviously superior to 7 (even if they can get spyware now..lol.. see the thread a few below this one).

Congrats on the new Mac..

IGF

W4CNG
06-03-2010, 21:47
I have a I-Mac and MacBook Pro. Love both. As soon as my Microsoft machines die (1 XT Laptop and 1 Vista Box machine), I will buy more MAC's. You can get MS Office for Mac at $79 to load onto 3 machines and run every Microsoft Office app on the Mac and send it back and forth to the Windows machines. What is not to love with this and the next generation machines from MAC. I take the MacBook Pro out of town every time in it's protective sleeve with MagicJack Phone system. I have also cut all phone lines to wired Ma-Bell with the MagicJack system and Clear Wireless in Atlanta, Ga.

rahrah12
06-03-2010, 21:54
after many repairs of my old PC laptop and then it finally dying I made the switch and haven't looked back...

I love it and don't see myself getting anything other than a MAC unless I buy some really cheap laptop.

thejellster05
06-03-2010, 22:25
Nice... I think part of the appeal of the Mac, is Apple tightly controls hardware, so you *typically* don't end up w/ junk. Their OS is obviously superior to 7 (even if they can get spyware now..lol.. see the thread a few below this one).

Congrats on the new Mac..

IGF

Thanks man! Your threads have taught me a lot about Ubuntu (which works fine). I just work at best buy and I finally got sucked in!

Toyman
06-04-2010, 05:47

Now try closing an app with one click, oops, can't do that. Try resizing a window from any side or corner, oops, can't do that. Try changing the color of the UI, oops, can't do that.

LOL - Actually, if it works for you, great! The OS that is best for you is the OS that works best for you.

I use a Mac for virtual machines, but XP for my primary machine. Combine Moc OS with Parallels and it's confluence feature and you have a nice machine.

dyvegas
06-04-2010, 07:32
I bought my first mac 2 and a half years ago. Never had a problem, and it runs about as fast as when it was brand new. Find any PC that runs at half the speed it did out of the box even 6 months later.

ranger1444
06-04-2010, 18:56
I bought my first mac 2 and a half years ago. Never had a problem, and it runs about as fast as when it was brand new. Find any PC that runs at half the speed it did out of the box even 6 months later.

I bought mine about 2 years ago as well, and it still keeps up like a champ, even the battery is still it like 97% capacity. I love my mac, and would only switch back to a PC if absolutely necessary.

ancienthacker
06-04-2010, 20:09
Now try closing an app with one click, oops, can't do that. Try resizing a window from any side or corner, oops, can't do that. Try changing the color of the UI, oops, can't do that.

Closing apps on the Mac is easy with a single click - just have to use the keyboard. Command Q.

The window resizing drives me a little crazy whenever I use my mac at work. Too used to working with Windows.

The one thing that truly drives me nuts about the Mac is how dependent on the mouse the OS is. I rarely have to use the mouse on my Win 7 machine during the course of a work day. It seems like everything on the Mac requires using the mouse.

Radian
06-05-2010, 10:07
you can run windows (and linux) machines of all types on you mac. I use it and have found it useful. Its free to try.

handyman
06-05-2010, 10:51
Can you hookup a HDMI cable?

JRoCc
06-05-2010, 11:29
Yes...you can hook up to an HDMI cable...you need the adapter to make it work on the macbook...fyi..

RTmarc
06-07-2010, 22:07
Their OS is obviously superior to 7

lolwut??

OS X is "obviously" superior??

:rofl:

(posted from a Macbook Pro).

glock360
06-11-2010, 21:20
Iíve got not problem with Mac, (I hate MS, actually), but all the programs I use and am used to arenít for Mac.
And the selection of freeware Mac programs is basically nonexistent compared to PC.

checkyoursix
06-14-2010, 09:41
I’ve got not problem with Mac, (I hate MS, actually), but all the programs I use and am used to aren’t for Mac.
And the selection of freeware Mac programs is basically nonexistent compared to PC.

I am intrigued by this, as I have a lot of good freeware programs on my Macs. Could you elaborate?

donmontalvo
06-16-2010, 20:06
Can you hookup a HDMI cable?

You can now.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20007717-37.html

Don

beforeobamabans
06-17-2010, 06:59
I've been a PC guy ever since computers became available for individuals. Over the years, I have come to detest Windows. One year ago, I got an iPhone and have been astonished at it's capabilities and apps. Now, my daughter is heading off to college and we just ordered a MacBook for her. My next home computer will definitely be a Mac.

We visited the local Apple store at 1:30 on a Friday afternoon hoping to avoid crowds. They took my name on a waiting list to be helped even though they had at least twenty blue-shirted kids running around helping people. It was the damnedest scene I've ever seen in a retail store. Moral of the story: Buy AAPL.

Toyman
06-17-2010, 07:27
... We visited the local Apple store at 1:30 on a Friday afternoon hoping to avoid crowds. They took my name on a waiting list to be helped even though they had at least twenty blue-shirted kids running around helping people. It was the damnedest scene I've ever seen in a retail store. Moral of the story: Buy AAPL.

Maybe that's why they cost so much? :rofl:

Kith
06-17-2010, 14:19
Late comer, but congrats.

I had a macbook up unjtil recently - had it for about 5 months, and it was an amazing machine while I had it.

Push came to shove, and one of the two new laptops had to go.

I really wanted to get rid of my windows laptop, but I do too many tech support issues around my neighborhood, and need a windows box...

I'll be saving up for a better one come the end of the summer. A mac is definitely a worthwhile piece of hardware, and darn fun to use.