Changing ammo in Glock mags.. Bad idea? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Changing ammo in Glock mags.. Bad idea?

catalyst686
06-03-2010, 22:03
This is obviously a noob question, I am wondering if it is unwise, or harmful to the ammunition if I unload my carry rounds when I go to the range so I can use my cheap range ammo. I noticed that when I have been doing this I noticed some marks on the casings from them being inserted into the mag. I guess what I am wondering is... by doing this, can this cause the casing to become weaker? I know most of you have an abundance of extra mags, I don't have many, this is the reason I have been doing this. Well... any input is greatly appreciated my fellow Glockers!

TheMailman
06-03-2010, 22:31
I do this also and have wondered the same. Awaiting replies from those more knowledgable than we.

Zombie Steve
06-03-2010, 22:38
Cosmetic scratches / scuffs aren't going to hurt a thing. If you're worried about it, get a different mag. I have some .45 brass that I've reloaded enough times that I can't read the headstamp anymore. The brass will hold up just fine.

I'm more worried about bullet setback from repeated chambering.

ChuteTheMall
06-03-2010, 23:00
Keep a good mag or two full of carry ammo, so you'll have something to carry on your way home from the range.

You need more mags. Some for carry, some for training.

RedHaze
06-03-2010, 23:20
I just keep my defensive ammo in it's own mag at the range. You never known when you'll need to swap 'em and blast something ugly.

team9x19
06-03-2010, 23:21
mags are one of the most worn items when it comes to guns. stock up and keep stocking up imo.. they're gonna eventually wear down and you can opt to get rebuild kits, but i assume just buy another one for the price considering its importance.

cadetcode3
06-03-2010, 23:34
i agree with all the posts above. That is why I own at least minimum five mags per gun. Two self defense mags are always loaded and i use the other three for range mags only.

catalyst686
06-03-2010, 23:45
Thanks for the input. Just ordered 4 more mags! I'll just be keeping my carry rounds in 2 designated mags from now on. The additional ones will be just for practice.

itsveryniiice
06-03-2010, 23:54
Wow, thats a record....a thread question was answered, corrective action was taken, and no pissing match ensued.....all within 10 posts!!!

:O

AgentAdam
06-04-2010, 01:06
better lock it before its too late!

elsolo
06-04-2010, 01:50
I have a different opinion on carry mags and range time.
The magazine that matters most is the one that should have it's function verified during practice.

NJShooter
06-04-2010, 02:55
I agree with everyone about getting more mags, but in the meantime, just mark which carry rounds were chambered. Always start with a fresh, never been chambered round.

DWARREN123
06-04-2010, 07:17
I have done it in the past with no problems but now keep mags just for carry ammo.

Rusty Shackleford
06-04-2010, 07:37
The magazine that matters most is the one that should have it's function verified during practice.

That's pretty much the logic I use. If they all get used at the range, any issues will be obvious and you can take corrective action. In a decade of carry and range use, I've never needed to replace a mag or any of its parts due to wear and half my mags were used when I bought them.

Butch
06-04-2010, 08:04
Ideally you should shoot up your carry ammo once a year or so......that will insure that you have fresh, new, un-compromised carry ammo, and it will re-insure that your carry mags are functional.

AZBru88
06-04-2010, 08:06
Thats the first thing I do is number any new (old ones are already numbered) mag's I buy. It really helps you pick out a bad one....that said no bad ones yet! The other plus is your buddies can't walk away with your mags by mistake!
CDNN (http://www.cdnninvestments.com/glock.html) has most of the factory Glock mags for under $20 right now! Cheapest I've found lately.

Chris-B
06-04-2010, 08:35
That's pretty much the logic I use. If they all get used at the range, any issues will be obvious and you can take corrective action. In a decade of carry and range use, I've never needed to replace a mag or any of its parts due to wear and half my mags were used when I bought them.

I do the same thing. I always shoot my carry mags each range trip. I am not to worried about a mag going bad, but it gives me piece of mind.

team9x19
06-04-2010, 11:46

this goes without saying.. no matter how many mags you have, make sure they work before you carry, etc..

Flipz
06-04-2010, 13:21
i agree with all the posts above. That is why I own at least minimum five mags per gun. Two self defense mags are always loaded and i use the other three for range mags only.
+1. Thats exactly what I do.

unit1069
06-04-2010, 18:43
I like to put all my magazines through their paces when I go to the range. Better to discover if something's amiss there than when I really need it to function properly.