distinction between melonite and tennifer finish?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : distinction between melonite and tennifer finish??

collegedude
06-04-2010, 23:16
tenifer finish for glock and smith & wesson melonite finish which is more sturdy? They say tenifer and melonite finish undergone thesame chemical treatment process but just using different brand name anyone knowlegeable on this matter?

Kaiser Soze
06-04-2010, 23:37
Bro there are multiple threads on this site, and a lot of them don't really end well. It usually devolves into a loud, *****y, pissing contest.

My personal experience with Tennifer finished firearms, i.e. a Glock 26, 19, 17, and 21 are good, no real problems even with our humidity and my sweat. (for some reason the G21 does seem more prone to wear marks from holsters for some reason. Evan Payawal's pistol and the G21 I bought from Poodle both exhibit similar wear marks on the front of the slide, but these are cosmetic blemishes only, and remember that the protective finish and properties of tenifer remains even if the black colorant does not :) ) As for melonite my experience with a finished firearm, my M&P9 also did well despite the sweat and humidity here in the Philippines.

Either of them will do well here in the Philippines, and I can honestly say that because I have sweat that is quite aggressive on metals. My Kel-Tec P3AT, an older 1911, and a Taurus PT111 i used to carry exhibited heavy rust from exposure to sweat, rust that was not present in the firearms I posted above.

I hope that this post helps man.

Here's a link that might explain it on a more technical level:

http://www.finishing.com/324/69.shtml

Also, My HS45 also performed well with EDC in an IWB before the dumb handgun rule came into effect. I'm trying to do research if this was also finished in Melonite :)

collegedude
06-05-2010, 21:52
my hs2000 .40 seems to have weak finish its starting to wear off. I'm just wondering if it has thesame melonite finish as springfield xd do. I don't really have an issue with my glock 26.

Kaiser Soze
06-06-2010, 00:02
What model is your HS2000? If you can give me the model, I can ask the dealer (Stronghand) for specifics, maybe we can get the exact model number.

collegedude
06-06-2010, 01:12
I bought my HS2000 compact .40 OD green 6yrs. ago at stronghand heres the unit below.

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv165/businessdeal/132846688l1-1.jpg

collegedude
06-06-2010, 01:33
According to some source they began treating XD with Melonite in late 2005 before the XD(M) was ever released. Prior to the time the coating on XDs was less than adequate and will be replaced for free by Springfield. I think my hs2000 does not have melonite finish. Im not really sure about it.

toxic
06-10-2010, 03:19
Read it sometime ago, if hs2000 is marked on the unit , its brunial finish. if the mark on the unit is hs9, hs40 or hs45 most likely melonite finish na.

Also, some people believe that melonite is tougher than tennifer but i doubt that.

Some people say that melonite and tennifer are the same thing i doubt that as well , my friends hs9 has evidence of rust on it , my g26 is still in pristine condition. my unit is older than his but he carries more time than i do ..in any case.. any oxide treatment/ salt bath nitride treatment, polycoating will eventually rust , just need to be sure to clean and oil your unit everyday..a quick sillicon cloth rub on the surface of the unit does the trick aswell.

On the xd issue, it was april 2006 that SA started melonite finishing on the XD..taken from another forum