Joining [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Joining

Justman1020
06-05-2010, 10:40
Well, I am most likely joining the air force. I am going to be trying for Security Forces. I am going in Monday to discuss it with a recruiter. Any advice?

JimBianchi
06-05-2010, 11:05
I was in the service for 22+, 19 in the AF, 16 in SF.

Pay attention, do more than most, when you make a mistake, own up to it and try harder next time.

Don't lie, don't cheat, don't get married to a girl you just met at or right after, tech school.

Get every certification they offer.

Alarm monitors, Desk Sgt's and Tower Operators all work indoor out of the snow and heat.

If I hadn't got hurt, I'd have done my whole AF career as SF. I really enjoyed most of it.

Thank you for stepping up to doing what most of your generation won't do, serve your country.

bluelineman
06-05-2010, 11:23
Make sure everything they promise you is in writing. Sometimes (not all) recruiters can be like used car salesmen. Promising the world... Be careful if they promise something not in writing, "oh yeah, after you're in you can apply for that, cross train, etc."

I did not get screwed by my recruiter, but saw guys that did. If you go in without a guaranteed job, it is just that, not guaranteed. If it's in writing, you're good to go.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

meeko
06-05-2010, 14:05
Stay away from Northern tier missle bases!

mesteve2
06-05-2010, 17:15
They fed me clothed me.

Sill give shoes and health care!

Better than my parents!

:embarassed:

Taken care of me for 50 years:faint:

Justman1020
06-06-2010, 00:43
Yea, there is no way i would sign up without that career in writing. Air Force is in my family, my mother's side atleast, Uncle is air force, grandfather was air force, cousins are air force, my best friend went air force.

freedom790
06-06-2010, 02:33
congrats, any personal reason why you specifically want sf? I'm not bashing it or anything, I've been SF for 5 years now and its been the best time of my life. The best friends I've ever had have been made out of the sf career field.

One bit of advice I will give, the job is what you make of it. I've been at FE Warren (northern tier missile base) so far all 5 years, but I've been to m4 shooting schools, combat leadership school, qatar, iraq, and TDYs all over the country. You will only get out of it what you put into it. You'll hear from a LOT of people that say once you get into a missile base you never get out, but I am living proof that you can go where ever. If you do wind up at FE Warren, shoot me a PM.

Justman1020
06-06-2010, 02:48
Security forces because i like the work,police type work with a fair amount of combat as well, it sounds like the perfect job for me. No matter who i joined, i would be going for an MP position.

Smokey387
06-06-2010, 20:56
As a former SF Member I can say that I enjoyed my time (8 years) a lot of good experience. I too was assigned a northern tier base, good ol FE Warren, worked missle field, WSA and LE. Was also stationed overseas, definitely enjoyed my the time I served.

My advice is take all they can offer you, every training, every school, because no matter whether you do 4 years or 24 years all of what you learn helps you in life and where you go in your future. Good luck to you.

Smokey387
06-06-2010, 21:00
>Freedom790<
I assume you are possibly assigned to the 790th. Is there still a guy running that joint by the name of Seaburg by chance?

freedom790
06-06-2010, 22:16
>Freedom790<
I assume you are possibly assigned to the 790th. Is there still a guy running that joint by the name of Seaburg by chance?

I used to be 790th, wonderful wonderful fireteams, back when I made this account, but there used to be a Major Seaburg, not sure where he went. He left here a few years back.

Justman1020
06-07-2010, 02:44
Ok, I am going in to meet with a recruiter first thing in the morning, as soon as i get back, i will post an update.

Ralff
06-08-2010, 07:08
don't get married to a girl you just met at or right after, tech school.

This bears repeating. :rofl:

Too many guys with miserable experiences just for a piece of the tang.

Justman1020
06-08-2010, 13:08
Took an EST test, did really well on the writing, and ok on the math. I go back on the 21'st to take the ASVAB test. Thats most of the information i have for now.

MrMurphy
06-10-2010, 03:27
Remember, if his lips are moving, he's lying.

If they're not, he's thinking about what to lie about next.

3.5 years, got out early with bad knees.

Rocknropes
06-14-2010, 21:08
The only issue I can speak for is, if he doesn't return your phone calls in a timely manner or at all, get on him! Call him and be proactive about enlisting. Ask him if there's anything else he needs or that you can do while you're waiting for him/paperwork. Be honest and enthusiastic! Good luck with everything!

Justman1020
06-23-2010, 14:07
Okay, so, the US Air Force wanted me to wait 8 months to a year and a half to get INTO basic, so, I decided against it, because on top of that, they are not going to be able to gauruntee me a job... :faint:
so, I am doing US Army instead, :whistling: I will be leaving in a month and a half...

with a Ranger contract. :) I am excited for it, yes, i know the dangers. but I am looking forward to it.

bluelineman
06-23-2010, 21:24
Okay, so, the US Air Force wanted me to wait 8 months to a year and a half to get INTO basic, so, I decided against it, because on top of that, they are not going to be able to gauruntee me a job... :faint:
so, I am doing US Army instead, :whistling: I will be leaving in a month and a half...

with a Ranger contract. :) I am excited for it, yes, i know the dangers. but I am looking forward to it.

That's a long time to wait. Probably because the USAF is over manned right now.

Good luck soldier!

meeko
06-24-2010, 11:38
That's a long time to wait. Probably because the USAF is over manned right now.

Good luck soldier!

The problem I have seen with the USAF is they can't manage their manning. They might be busting at the seams this month but then in a blink of an eye they are again screaming for bodies! Just an observation over the last 21 plus years!

Good luck and stay safe!:patriot:

bluelineman
06-24-2010, 20:36
The problem I have seen with the USAF is they can't manage their manning. They might be busting at the seams this month but then in a blink of an eye they are again screaming for bodies! Just an observation over the last 21 plus years!

Good luck and stay safe!:patriot:

That's gov't efficiency for ya. :faint:

mgartland
06-26-2010, 09:20
Ask your recruiter how many deployments he or she has completed. Security Forces Airmen deploy a lot, so if your recruiter hasn't deployed much you might want to talk to some people who have to hear about their impressions and experiences. Good luck! You have chosen an honorable profession!

Glockrunner
07-03-2010, 05:10

Could that wait be to finish High School?

Smokey387
07-25-2010, 17:34
I wonder how it going in the Army for this guy....

Smokey387
07-25-2010, 17:36
Gee Army recruiters lie too.... right?

GeorgiaGlocker
09-06-2010, 13:43
I joined the AF in 1975 and started counting the lies my recruiter had told me as soon as I arrived at Lackland. Our TI started telling us about the lies that our recruiter had told us. :rofl: