SD Ammo for G19 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SD Ammo for G19

AggieGlock
06-05-2010, 15:11
Howdy all. I just bought my first Glock today, a new Gen-3 G19. What does everyone prefer for self defense carry ammo?

I have really enjoyed reading on this forum. You all are great.

Oh, I guess I should mention that I've always been a little nervous about overpenetration. Should I not be?

bcj128
06-05-2010, 15:20
Howdy all. I just bought my first Glock today, a new Gen-3 G19. What does everyone prefer for self defense carry ammo?

Oh, I guess I should mention that I've always been a little nervous about overpenetration. Should I not be?

What I prefer is the Federal HST 147 gr standard load. (I have also heard some very impressive stats on the 124 gr +P loads from Gold Dot and others...)

However, what I am issued for work is WWB 147 gr personal defense ammo. (We are, however, changing that as we speak...thank goodness.)

IndyGunFreak
06-05-2010, 15:31

This get's beaten to death in Caliber corner. Bottom line, the differences between the various self defense rounds, are very very minor. There is no best. You're trying to determine the "best" when the difference between the "best" and the "worst" might be 2in of penetration and .xx something expansion.

Bottom line... Get a couple different rounds that you can find easily in your area, and test them. If I say "this is best" and you can't hit the broad side of a barn w/ it.. then it's not the best for you.. Placement trumps whatever ammo you choose any day of the week. If a round is reliable in my G19, but it jams yours up constantly, then it doesn't matter what I think of it.

I decide on ammo like this....
1. Availability -- If I can't get it, it doesn't matter how cool the box is.
2. Reliability -- Duh
3. Accuracy -- Gotta hit your target.

Anything after that is gravy. I do tend to graduate towards "heavy for caliber" rounds, because I value penetration over some mysterious ft. lbs number or some wild FPS number.

Edit: Since everyone is adding their choices.. :) Right now, my round of choice is the 147gr Winchester PDX1, 147gr Gold Dot. I'd rather be flogged than use anything from Corbon, but that's just my experience.

IGF

jonboy20
06-05-2010, 15:33
I use Remmy Golden Sabers and Federal HST.

fgutie35
06-05-2010, 15:39
Like Indy mentioned, there is no significant difference from hollow point to hollow point, therefore, I use what is more reliable as far as feeding. So far, of all the hollow points I have tried, the one that feeds the best, is the CORBON 124gr +p+, so That is what I use. That does not necesarily means, that is the round for ALL G19's. User's shooting habits and even slight differences from G19 to G19 can dictate what is best to use.

glock2740
06-05-2010, 15:50
I carry 124+P Gold Dots in mine.

NateHodge
06-05-2010, 16:14

+1, this is what I carry too. Between the Gold Dot 124+p, Federal HST 124+p, and Winchester Ranger T in 127+p, you can't go wrong. The Gold Dots and HSTs have ~400ft/lbs at the muzzle and the Ranger T's have about 440. All three are good rounds. If I had a choice, I'd go with the Ranger T's or HST's simply because they are cheaper, by about half. The Gold Dots are around $20 for a box of 20 and the others come in boxes or 50(which is another plus, it can load 3 mags for your G19 with just one box.) for $25 to $35.

The reason I carry the Gold Dots is they were easier to get a little while back. I may run a few hundred rounds of the others through my G19 and change loads if they feed good though. In the end, get whatever you prefer and is reliable out of your pistol.

OH!! almost forgot, read the RED sticky at the top of the General Glocking forum. THis is in the wrong place.:wavey:

Edit: One more thing. Like IGF said, penetration is important. The reason I didn't mention it at first is because all three of these rounds are in the 13-14" range, so its moot with these three.

CDW4ME
06-05-2010, 17:08
What I would carry in a Glock 19:
Cor-Bon 115 gr. +P
Remington 115 gr. +P
Federal 115 +P+
Winchester Ranger T 127 +P+

JBP55
06-05-2010, 18:43
Any quality HP that is totally reliable in your gun.

Some good choices are Gold Dot, HST, Ranger T, PDX1, Golden Saber in 124/127/147.

JIM 1
06-05-2010, 18:55
Good choices, all. Take another look at Corbon's DPX round. Plenty of info out there; less conjecture, more science. One helluva round. WWB 115 gr fmj range practice, DPX 115 gr 9mm. Nothing else.

den888
06-05-2010, 19:08
Federal HST 124 gr, Federal 115 gr JHP, Speer Gold Dot

samuse
06-05-2010, 19:17

This is also my first choice. If I can't get this I just carry WWB 147 JHP.

glockfan5
06-05-2010, 19:18
Hornady Critical Defense 115 grain

team9x19
06-05-2010, 19:24

i also carry the same ammo in my g19.. that said i also use gold dot in all my carry guns for sd ammo.

jimb0
06-05-2010, 19:27

This is what i carry. Have some Fed hydra shocks also in 2 other mags.

hyJOEstatic SHOCK
06-05-2010, 19:32
Always been a fan of the Gold Dots in 147gr.

Double Tap takes these same boolits, & rolls them in a +P pressure.....

So I just took delivery on some....:cool:

COM165
06-05-2010, 20:11
I use Speer GD 124gr +p rounds in my 19. This is the round that the NYPD uses. Winchester SXT 127 gr +p+ also performs well.

CTfam
06-05-2010, 20:15
Always been a fan of the Gold Dots in 147gr.

Me too... Heavy is good.

chad1972
06-05-2010, 20:25
124 gr nato, or winchester ranger,

ColCol
06-05-2010, 20:29
I like the Ranger T 127 gr +P+. I seem to do better with it and its very accurate.

AZ_Quailhunter
06-05-2010, 20:39
I have been using these 3 lately:

Federal HST 147gr.
Gold dot =P 124gr.
Hornady CD 115gr.

all cycle thru fine, have the necessary expansion and appear to be accurate.

IndyGunFreak
06-05-2010, 20:49
Double Tap takes these same boolits, & rolls them in a +P pressure.....

So I just took delivery on some....:cool:

Did you actually get Gold Dots? There's been a lot of complaints about DT because the switched to using Montana Gold Bullets, w/o telling their long time customers that were used to getting Gold Dots. Search Caliber Corner, quite a few have complained about it.

The MG's are good for target practice/competition.. but they do not expand very reliably to be used for self defense...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsGnDtgVHc0

IGF

j-glock22
06-05-2010, 20:54
Wow, all these replies to a first time ever member and poster!
Welcome to GT and congrats on one of the finest Glocks offered.
Many good SD rounds, try some out..... Many will steer you towards a 124gr something or other. Many will steer you to Speer Gold Dots (standard or +P will suffice) Winchester makes great bonded rounds as well....
Availability helps to..... Like ATG (AmmoToGo.com)
Again welcome and congrats on the 19!
Stay safe out there and enjoy your first of many Glocks to come into your posession!

Glockernaut
06-05-2010, 21:44
Federal HST 147 right now. Would use any HP from Winchester or Speer as well.

TTAC
06-06-2010, 03:49
You have picked my choice for best carry gun ever made.
I used to carry Corbon 115gr+P hollowpoint. then switched to Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. +P hollowpoint.
Federal owns Speer and most of the Hydra shok and Gold dot rounds are tough to find. I think Federal is busy with Military orders.
So my current carry round is Corbon 115 gr. DPX +P
If you are concerned with over penetration my pick would be the standard Corbon 115 gr. +P hollowpoint.

AggieGlock
06-06-2010, 06:23
Wow, thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to get something in the 124grain flavor and give it a try. Maybe Golden Sabers or Gold Dots.

stroker
06-06-2010, 06:29
ain't ever had to worry about that over penatration thing:crying:

dereklord
06-06-2010, 07:14
ain't ever had to worry about that over penatration thing:crying:

Ditto...:embarassed:

hasselbach
06-06-2010, 09:48

Depends on the woman you are dating I guess.

I think this is posted in the wrong forum.:tongueout:

glockfan9
06-06-2010, 10:07
gold dot 124gr for me

dakota359
06-06-2010, 10:21
Winchester Rangers for me.

doktarZues
06-06-2010, 10:39
Any of the premium brand JHPs are pretty universally considered "as good as the next". I can say that from my G19 I have shot >100 rounds of the following with no issues, with around 300 of the HST 147grs:

Federal HST 124gr and 147gr
Gold Dot 124gr+p and 147gr

I have quite a few boxes of both and feel very comfortable carrying with 16 rounds of any of those. From the (admittedly unscientific) testing I've done and what I've read on the net, the 147gr is a better SD round. The only cause for concern is the larger profile the bullet has and it's ability to (reliably) feed up the ramp and into the chamber. G19s do not have a problem with 147gr nor do most 9MM pistols.

The initial deployment of the 147gr rounds provided sub-par performance in most handguns and I think that stigma is still carrying some weight among the interwebs, but quite a few things have changed since then and at the end of the day it's the biggest bullet you can get into a 9mm.

IndyGunFreak
06-06-2010, 11:35
Wow, thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to get something in the 124grain flavor and give it a try. Maybe Golden Sabers or Gold Dots.

Both fine choices... I prefer Bonded bullets, thus why I tend to gravitate towards the Gold Dots/PDX1. I can't remember if GS's are bonded or not.. I think they are, or they have a bonded version.

Regardless, Like has been said several times, get a few different rounds, preferably a few that are easily available in your area(another reason I like the Gold Dot and PDX1) and get plenty of practice, both with and without your carry ammo.

IGF

JIM 1
06-06-2010, 11:38
A lot of things have changed. Copper bullets. Petals, not mushyrooms. Defense round that penetrates, consistent expansion, retains weight, and blows thru hard barriers like steel, glass, etc. Bullet weight and size. Copper vs. lead. The excellent barnes copper x hunting bullet in a defensive round that performs. Imho, a huge improvement over everything else out there. Pricey, though.

TSAX
06-06-2010, 14:06
with the quality of rounds made now the hornady critical defense, winchester PDX1 or Ranger LE, Federal Hydra or HST stuff you couldn't go wrong

MDodd
06-06-2010, 15:52

+1 for these, they're just hard to find unless I go through gunbroker or something similar.

Sheepdog Scout
06-06-2010, 16:06
Depends on the woman you are dating I guess.

I think this is posted in the wrong forum.:tongueout:

He must have a subcompact model.:rofl:

kahrcarrier
06-06-2010, 16:26
I use whatever JHP I have on hand and is reliable.
I don't really analyze it..........

rem2429
06-06-2010, 22:42
Howdy and hst 147 to beat the hell outta whatever.
R. Morris '99

Raiderman
06-07-2010, 05:42
Hornandy CD 155 gr.

hyJOEstatic SHOCK
06-07-2010, 10:35
Did you actually get Gold Dots? There's been a lot of complaints about DT because the switched to using Montana Gold Bullets, w/o telling their long time customers that were used to getting Gold Dots. Search Caliber Corner, quite a few have complained about it.

The MG's are good for target practice/competition.. but they do not expand very reliably to be used for self defense...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsGnDtgVHc0

IGF

Yeah, I had heard some grumblings about this, so I did some very surface/light research. I called DT, & they stated to me (with great conviction) that the 147gr. +Ps were Gold Dots.

I was in need of a bunch of stuff, & had been planning on placing my first order with Midway for some time. I had read so many positive things about Midway, & the lengths they would go in order to ensure the customer is happy.

I think this or last months American Rifleman magazine had a nugget about them receiving some prestigious award for exemplary business practices....or something. When placing my order, saw that they had the ammo, so I got two boxes. Figured if I got something different that what I was expecting, they would be willing to work with me on making it right.

I planned to compare the Double Tap offering to my 147gr. Gold Dots in standard pressure & see if they looked different at all.

They looked identical.

Was this method all that scientific, not really, but after viewing the youtube video via the link you so graciously provided (thanks for that), I'm even more convinced that I got the real deal. That Montana Gold bullet looks very different in it's design than the Gold Dot.

Looking @ bullet again, looking @ youtube video, back @ bullet, back @ video...

Yeah, I think they're real.

pitt1011
06-07-2010, 18:17
I like either the Speer Gold Dots or Federal HST in 124grn. Both feed perfectly in my G19 and both are readily availible in my area.

Pick a good round that works for you and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! Spend some money on a good training course too. There is a lot that goes into using a pistol for self defense beyond what ammo you use.

06-07-2010, 20:09

Nope. Overpenetration is an overblown concern.

Worry more about what the rounds that miss their intended target are going to strike or, more appropriately, worry about putting your rounds 'on target' where they'll do the most good. Training and practice will take care of that.

As for my preference in carry ammo, which may differ from yours, I prefer 'heavy-for-caliber' JHPs (147s in 9mm, 180s in .40S&W and 230s in .45ACP, etc.) with a muzzle velocity between 800 and 1,000 fps with penetration in the 14-18 inch range.

Carry ammo (for me) is either the 9mm 147 gr. Hornady XTP JHP in the Glock 17/19 or the .45ACP 230 gr. Hornady XTP +P JHP in the HK USP45.

YMMV.