Any experience fishing the James River (Lynchburg VA) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any experience fishing the James River (Lynchburg VA)

fourthandgoal66
06-05-2010, 19:04
Alright i'm looking for some advice on fishing the James River. I have alot of fishing experience, specifically pond fishing and quite a bit of fishing in the Gulf off of LA. My Girlfriend just recently moved to Lynchburg and Ill be visiting on the weekends and I'd like to maybe fish the James River some. I have no experience fishing rivers and I'm just looking for some advice on how to get started. I guess I'm looking at having to rent a canoe or buy one down the line to fish there. Also smallmouth? catfish? What species can I expect. I've done some research but I would like some personal experiences.
Thanks

Oh and ill take any advice on long distance relationships also. this will be tough. :cool:

snuggles
06-06-2010, 19:09
Yea, you're on your own on the long distance thing - good luck! :supergrin:

Now, river fishing I can help with. First off, stick with kayaks unless you plan on having company. I love a good float but sometimes it just doesn't pan out that way. Recently, I've been hiking and wading a lot. Just go out to the river and walk along it. This helps me remember certain spots and gives me a chance to study the area a little more. And it's refreshing on a hot day.

It depends on what parts of the James you fish - smallies in the rapids, sunfish and largemouth in the slower areas with grasses, and some big cats in the deep pools. I could have sworn I saw a paddlefish in there once while snorkeling too, but I just like to think I did :whistling:.

Anyways, cast upstream or perpendicular to the current. Look for something "different". If water is flowing, take a hard look at the still waters. If it's still water, look for the moving stuff etc. Little islands, sandbars, shallow areas can be some of the best spots. Areas right behind "stuff" in the river such as a large rock, a fallen tree, etc. where the current is broken up are good too. And don't overlook the banks! Just like lake fishing, look for the tall grass/structure right off the bank.

Find your hotspots and you should be good.

ETA: One last tip - the predators like to sit right below rapids/riffles facing upstream waiting for a meal to flow into their mouths. Don't disturb these areas, and that's why you cast upstream or perpendicular - just let the current do the work and don't get snagged.

bigdogmurph
06-06-2010, 19:21
snuggles you nailed it! only thing I can add is use minnows or hellgamites.