Should an automatic be stored opened or closed? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Should an automatic be stored opened or closed?

BRabbit
06-05-2010, 19:48
Mr. Emerson,

I am curious about something and am asking the opinion of you as the authoratative source.

Should a quality automatic knife by a reputable manufacturer be stored in the open or closed position?

The reason for this question is - If the knife is under spring pressure when closed to enable it to open at the push of a button, would storing it in the open position (if stored for a while) make the springs retain their tension longer?...or does it matter?

If it doesn't matter - Why?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Ernest Emerson
06-11-2010, 09:53
Dear BRabbit,

Interesting question. I would say that yes, storing the knife in the closed position (under tension, compression) would over time weaker the spring, just as the case of loaded magazines. I do believe that short term, (in the pocket) is O.K. However, if I owned some of the very expensive handmade auto's that were safe queens or collectibles I would store them open. With your EOC knives that you use regularly I don't think a month or two without opening will have too much negative effect. Most production automatics have parts that are replaceable or serviceable by the manufacturer if the need ever arises.

My Best Regards,

Ernest R. Emerson

BRabbit
06-14-2010, 22:29
Thank you very much Sir, I appreciate your insight and knowledge.