Tanners [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tanners

noway
06-06-2010, 05:57
Any body got any ideals of who still in the business of tanning pelts? I'm doing a hunt in late june or early july and need a tanner for a project.

Jonesee
06-06-2010, 09:59
If you afre hunting those months I assume you are going to Alaska and it will be true big game. If that is the case, look for a reputable taxidermist. If it is deer-size or down, just do it yourself.

Any thin skinned game is very easy. The thicker the skin the more difficult it gets. I tanned a beaver hide and it was tough because of the oil and the thickness of the hide adn fur. I ended up shampooing and blow drying it to clean the fur then had to work hard to get it soft and pliable.

noway
06-06-2010, 19:16
Thanks not hunting Alaska nor have the time to process a skin.

Vafish you around? I think you sent me a source back on the West coast iirc that did hides.

Jonesee
06-06-2010, 22:21
Why so cryptic? What are you hunting and where in the middle of summer?

vafish
06-07-2010, 07:07
I'm around, but I don't recall sending a link for tanning hides. I used to use a place in MN (IIRC) that if I sent them a whole hide they sent me a pair of buck skin gloves. But shipping got too expensive, haven't used them in years.

noway
06-07-2010, 09:42
I'm around, but I don't recall sending a link for tanning hides. I used to use a place in MN (IIRC) that if I sent them a whole hide they sent me a pair of buck skin gloves. But shipping got too expensive, haven't used them in years.

Thanks, I have to keep on searching. I remember it was a post many years ago in this forum of a tanning outfit located on the west coast IIRC ( portland area ). I wanted to check them out since foxvally has went **** up awhile back.

Have you heard of anybody using Wildlife Furs and getting a good pelt back ?

noway
06-07-2010, 09:43
Why so cryptic? What are you hunting and where in the middle of summer?

If you must know, I'm hunting exotic game animals right here in FL and then in TX.