Stand & Deliver… What are my options in competition? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Stand & Deliver… What are my options in competition?

DaveTN
06-06-2010, 09:57
I’m old and my knees are shot. I would not enjoy jumping up and down or kneeling.

What matches would be standing and shooting offhand? Would I be limited to just Bullseye matches?

I shot many years ago on a PD Pistol Team. We didn’t do any jumping up and down. Timed fire, different distances, I think it was PPC.

Jim Watson
06-06-2010, 10:39
Well, you might could get back into PPC as a retired cop.
There is GSSF which has little if any agility test.
Bullseye
Metallic Silhouette.
NRA Action Pistol (Bianchi Cup)

I am stubborn enough to stay with IDPA which has some movement even while recovering from my strange incident.

Jon_R
06-06-2010, 10:41
There is PPC I have never shot it but is still active.

GSSF Matches are an option if they come near by.

IDPA requires kneeling at times but at least at our matches we make accommodations for shooters that can't do it. Generally if someone can not physically get in the position then they shoot standing and take a procedural penalty.

USPSA matches seldom require kneeling. Sometimes you start seated and just have to stand up. There is no requirement to run or move fast you can just walk through the stages.

I don't shoot cowboy but I have seen some matches and it does not seem to physically demanding but you have to use old style weapons so it might not get what you want out of it.

WellArmedSheep
06-07-2010, 12:28
Steel Challenge would be an option. There's movement on only one of the official stages, and it's just a few feet from one box to another.

ron59
06-07-2010, 19:14
GSSF matches are fairly fun, and are held across the country. If you don't mind a "little" travel, you can shoot quite a bit, depending on where you live. I live near Charlotte and am shooting 7 matches this year. Three of them are less than 2 hours drive one-way, the others are more like 4 hours one-way with one being 5.

There is no working from the holster, no reloads, and no movement. You start from the "low ready" position, and proceed from the buzzer. Every GSSF match has 3 different stages.. while "the plates" are pretty much constant (6 8" plates at 11 yards), the "Glock M" and "5 to Glock" have different options that the hosting clubs can choose from. The 5 to Glock offers distance as its primary challenge (out to 25 yards), the Glock M has paper and poppers that have to be engaged in an alternating fashion.

It's a LOT of fun, $25 per entry (I usually shoot two entries), but they give cash and prizes not only to the winners but RANDOMLY as well. They give guns to the first place of each division, but usually 6-8 guns randomly as well. I won a gun of my choice at my April contest.

Check out GSSF (gssfonline.com), and the GSSF forum we have here at GT.

Clyde
06-08-2010, 19:43
Another Vote for Steel Challenge :supergrin:

robin303
06-08-2010, 20:48
Join this http://www.uspsa.org/ Hell I'm 56 and can't hit inside of a barn and there is an old fart that shoots a 1911 and 82. It is nothing but going out there and having fun. Nice thing about it is everybody has the same hobby and there is always something to talk about.