Ammo choices [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ammo choices

preventec47
06-07-2010, 07:06
I think hunting load choices ( all load choices really) have
been made too complicated. I think it all boils down
to wound channel extremes or anywhere in between.

For instance, do you want the largest diameter wound
channel? if so , then you must accept the shallowest.
If you want the deepest penetration, you must accept
the smallest diameter wound channel.
Or something in between.
So instead of picking loads, just define the shape
of the hole you want to drill.

I dont think many guys relate to the wound channels
or there wouldnt be so many that use 200gr in
10mm for personal defense. Of course if you want
to plan on penetrating barriers before your target
that is a whole different story.

_The_Shadow
06-07-2010, 13:25
Let me shed some light on this story...I hunt with Hornady 200 XTP's and deer are about like a man in some aspects. The last deer I shot(200lbs) right to left broke a rib going in severed both lungs, poked thru the rib on the far side coming to rest just under the hide of the left shoulder pit. The 200 grain opened to.73" retained 165 grains of its mass it doesn't get much better than that.

If shooting a human front to back you wouldn't typically hit both lungs in one shot. given the time year the human will have clothing to reflect the weather some what, meaning heavy and more layered clothing in the colder months lighter and less clothing in the warmer months. This is why you train to shoot defensively, center mass and or ocular cavity. In the words of Callahan, “This is a 44 Magnum and it can take your head clean off”.

You talk about wound channel that's all well and good if you have the right balance of bullet weight, velocity, expansion with enough depth of penetration to impart the energy dump into the target and disrupt organs and/or the nervous system.

If a bullet passes thru the intended target, this is only bad to the things beyond that target as if the bullet strikes someone else. Two holes bleed better than one and the bullet has reached more tissue and/or organs to impart damage. If your bullet passes thru how much energy is left to due damage to what it hits?

If you are ever placed in a situation to shoot a perp, your best weapon is your brain.
This allows you to react like you train with whatever tool you have at hand to use.

We can all choose what we think will work best based on what we learn from real world shootings, but situations are different in each senerio.