My SA failed the saftey test... need reccomendations. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My SA failed the saftey test... need reccomendations.

maverick9614
06-07-2010, 11:31
So I was doing a safety test on my SA lightweight loaded model and unfortunately the hammer fell to half-cock when I released the slide without a round in the chamber.

I understand this could be a couple of things: a worn connection between the hammer and sear or a worn sear spring. Anything else the brain trust can think of that might do this? How would I figure which might be causing the problem?

Never had a problem at the range with this and it isn't a carry gun, so I'm not too worried at this point.

Quack
06-07-2010, 13:10
Sounds like you're on the right track. Have you had any trigger work done? This happens every now and then on one of my range guns on an empty chamber but not during live fire.

Don Glock
06-07-2010, 14:00
the sear engagement lug on the thumb safety isn't blocking the sear properly.

any trigger work done on it? if not, SA will undoubtedly fix it for free under warranty. :)

pistolwrench
06-07-2010, 15:09
"the sear engagement lug on the thumb safety isn't blocking the sear properly."

^ Not true.

Black Cloud
06-07-2010, 17:03
If you are asking, you probably canít fix it yourself. Have a smith look at it. :supergrin:

Jason D
06-07-2010, 17:15
It's not hard to replace the sear spring.

Don Glock
06-07-2010, 17:41
"the sear engagement lug on the thumb safety isn't blocking the sear properly."

^ Not true.

yep, you're right. i was thinking it happened with the safety engaged. (not sure where i got that lol).

pistolwrench
06-07-2010, 18:42
This may fall under the 'more info than I needed' section.
I'm disliked at 1911forum and ar15 forum partially because I speak up
when erroneous technical info is presented.
I have not seen much of that here.
Everyone wants to help and be friendly and all, but guessing does no one any good.

Don Glock
06-07-2010, 18:44
Everyone wants to help and be friendly and all, but guessing does no one any good.

well i just misread it the first time. noticed my mistake though when you mentioned it. nothing wrong with that, my friend, i would've done the same :)

Quack
06-07-2010, 18:51
we love you here Chuck :hearts:

Black Cloud
06-07-2010, 19:04

Well keep speaking up. Your work speaks for itself.
I rather get info from you that an unknown or my favorite, a kitchen table smith.
Thanks for your contributions,
Smitty

maverick9614
06-08-2010, 00:32
the sear engagement lug on the thumb safety isn't blocking the sear properly.

any trigger work done on it? if not, SA will undoubtedly fix it for free under warranty. :)

I bought the pistol used about 5 years ago.The fellow told me it had some custom work done, but nothing he could provide receipts for.

I am inclined to replace the sear spring and possibly the sear and hammer just for giggles.

maverick9614
06-08-2010, 00:34
If you are asking, you probably canít fix it yourself. Have a smith look at it. :supergrin:

I didn't know how to diagnose/ pull a transmission until I tried either. Feel like I am a more learned individual for it.

Nothing like working on your own guns to make you feel more confident about their use :cool:.

Don Glock
06-08-2010, 00:45
I didn't know how to diagnose/ pull a transmission until I tried either. Feel like I am a more learned individual for it.

Nothing like working on your own guns to make you feel more confident about their use :cool:.

replacing the sear spring is simple. just google some online tutorials, my friend.

remat
06-08-2010, 18:22
I am inclined to replace the sear spring and possibly the sear

This would be my first inclinations as to the problem. Both may need some fitting (err...bending for the spring). STI makes a match grade sear (not their less expensive one) that is pretty close to drop in.

pistolwrench
06-08-2010, 18:58
I'm really hesitant to diagnose long distance without REALLY good pictures of the hammer hooks and sear nose.
But, try this. EMPTY PISTOL! Pull the trigger all the way to the rear and hold it there. Now try dropping the slide. Also try an aggresive slingshot with the slide. If the hammer does not follow you might be experiencing trigger bounce.
If the above is true, bend the center leg of the leaf spring forward slightly. First note the relationship between the center leaf and the far left leaf. Using the far left leaf as a reference, bend the center until it is further forward by 1/8". This will increase the pre-travel weight about 1/2lb.
Try the two tests again.
BE SURE if the hammer follows that it does stop on the half-cock.

Brucev
06-08-2010, 20:27
Send it to SA. Have them fix it under warranty.

Glockdude1
02-17-2012, 10:34
Your Glock is "un-safe", and now your Springfield???

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1402313

:dunno:

MStarmer
02-18-2012, 14:44
we love you here Chuck :hearts:

I've been drooling over Chucks work for years, I just don't have the patience to wait for it. :bowdown: