Buying Remanufactured: Grace Ammo & Red River Ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Buying Remanufactured: Grace Ammo & Red River Ammo

kmelch
06-07-2010, 12:57
Hi All,

I just moved to another state and have to hand in my old CWP and apply for a new one... which means taking the mandatory course again. Humph. Oh well. I haven't bought bulk range ammo since... around 2002-2003, and find that you can no longer get the 9mm 100rd White Box at Walmart for $11. Actually, you can't seem to find anything at Walmart anymore... unless you're buying it off the truck at 5am. But I digress...

Have any of you ever tried out Grace Ammo or Red River Ammo? I have no qualms about shooting remanufactured, as long as the quality and reputation are up to snuff. I'm not a reloader, but looks like it's time to start collecting brass anyway. This seems like a good alternative to aluminum CCI Blazer? I shoot a G19.

Thanks for your opinions.

Grace http://www.site.graceammo.com/
Red River http://www.redriverammo.com/

I also like the TMJ idea... less lead in the air.

beforeobamabans
06-07-2010, 14:28
I'm not familiar with those two but, last year in the height of the ammo crunch, I bought cases of 9mm and 45acp from Precision Cartridge. They use Rainier TMJ bullets and it was very good ammo. The factory stuff is plentiful again and just as cheap so I am buying via Internet and even finding some good retail sales on name brand ammo.

kmelch
06-07-2010, 18:30
Well, Precision seems about on par with the other reloaders for FMJ, but $0.26-0.28 per round for JHP is pretty darn cheap. I suppose it'd be great to practice lots with your carry round, but I don't know enough about these guys to have 'em in my waistband when out with the family. Hm. Thanks for the tip though. Is there an average price per round for FMJ/TMJ and JHP that I should aim for these days? I haven't purchased in so many years, I just don't have any reliable calibration, especially with many websites sold out of half their inventory...

beforeobamabans
06-08-2010, 05:29
My personal threshold is $200/1000 for 9mm and $360/1000 for 45acp. My last buys at these prices were at retail. Just last weekend, I walked out of WM with a case of Federal Champion for $202 including tax. I have been stocking up on 45acp at Dick's. Their normal price is $20/box for UMC but they have a sale every month or so for 10% off which puts them at $18/box. If you have Meijers superstores, they occasionally have a 15% off general merchandise sale. I bought WWB 100 round value packs for $17.50. The "go to" Internet dealer seems to be sgammo. But, getting back to your OP, I'd try your local commercial reloader just to confirm quality and compatibility with your pistols so that you know you can go to them in quantity if/when the next shortage comes around.

jtischauser
07-07-2012, 12:34
Have bought over 40,000 rounds ammo from red river on my forum BoomerShooter.com and it's all been great. They have expanded their offering and bought more fully automated presses in the past 12 months too. Great stuff for the money.

Foxtrotx1
07-07-2012, 12:42
Aim surp has brass ammo for cheaper ATM, new factory stuff.