lasermax vs. crimsontrace [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : lasermax vs. crimsontrace

glock37gap
06-07-2010, 18:31
i'm looking to add a laser to my g37 and was wondering which one to get. i like the idea of the lasermax guiderod laser much better but the ct appears to be more practical. what i mean is in a real shtf situation the ct would be the more instinctive laser to turn on due to the toggle switch being on the grip of the gun. am i missing something in my analysis? what are you alls opinion on the two? thanks for any help

MarccraM
06-07-2010, 18:45
These ct vs lm threads never go well.. But having owned both, I'll throw my 2 cents in.

CT all the way. I had an issue with a guiderod LM that was fixed kindly by LaserMax.. However the problem rendered the gun unusable. After they repaired it I never used it again. Great customer service yes, but bet my life on it.. Hell no.

IMO though.. Wanna screw with internals? Do it on a range gun...not a cc weapon..

Crimson is on the outside... Exactly where I thing a laser should be.
Again, that's just my opinion.

RayB
06-07-2010, 19:23
These ct vs lm threads never go well.. But having owned both, I'll throw my 2 cents in.

CT all the way. I had an issue with a guiderod LM that was fixed kindly by LaserMax.. However the problem rendered the gun unusable. After they repaired it I never used it again. Great customer service yes, but bet my life on it.. Hell no.

IMO though.. Wanna screw with internals? Do it on a range gun...not a cc weapon..

That's a fair assessment, based on your direct experience and how you reckon things.

My own experience with the LaserMax guide rod lasers in our G19 and G21 is positive; so, I've no cause not to trust them.

As I said in the other thread, I can definitely see a plus in having the instant-on feature in a CCW or BUG.

Conversely, on a bedside weapon, I'd just as soon select on and off at my discretion (and please don't tell me to hold the gun loosely).

For me, the CT Grips screwed up the gun's ergonomics unacceptably.

Now, I did handle and fire a S&W .357 Magnum Revolver with CT Grips and thought it was pretty sweet!

I'd consider the CT Grips for a revolver or 1911 any day. I just don't like them on the Glock platform.

--Ray

06-11-2010, 04:06
I throw my lot in with CT, even with a Glock since they now offer the LG-417. My department briefly testing the lasermax guiderod lasers and they were dropped due to reliability issues and we now have CT grips issued. I think CT is the better product, and the more practical. But to each his own I guess.

AZBru88
06-11-2010, 09:14
I carry CT's on my 3 carry guns. My night stand G17 has a TLR-2 on it. I have put around 2K round through them in low light to dark conditions. I really love my CT for EDC, but I like the TLR-2 for the light laser combo of a pure home defence gun. (See what your shooting!!!!!)
The only advantage I see to LM is it lines up with the bore! I don't like something you have to turn on. Plus your taking a stock gun and changing a part (reliabiliy????) CT's you are adding to the gun, not changing parts (other then a pin) With CT's you can cover the laser with your finger when doing home searchs ect....Then when your finger moves to the trigger, your dot is on. At self defense ranges the CT's are great.
You will be surprised at how fast your follow up shots are with a laser. No really aiming, place the dot sqeeze, place dot sqeeze, repeat! Great for shooting from cover, around a door jamb.
Check out the video's on CT's web site.

TACC GLOCK
06-11-2010, 09:30
I would like to know if anyone has any experience with the RSL that was designed to replace the rear sights of a Glock?

Havasu
06-11-2010, 09:49
I would like to know if anyone has any experience with the RSL that was designed to replace the rear sights of a Glock?
I have a LaserLyte and I love it. I was a bit concerned about reliability, but so far, so good. It is easy to turn on - either with the weak hand or with the thumb of the strong hand - and comes on either steady or flashing. Plus I can tell if it is on and in what mode from the rear. My one complaint is it is useless in the daytime outdoors, so it's not a range tool unless you shoot indoors.

bigez
06-11-2010, 09:51
Also, what about the lights that have the laser built in? Or the lasers that can hang off the rail? Another "external" laser option.

RayB
06-11-2010, 18:06
Indeed, Crimson Trace offers and excellent DVD feature, Shots In The Dark! :shocked:

By all means, see it! :thumbsup:

Again, for all the good press Crimson Trace gets here, I'd like to see them advertise on GT... :whistling:

--Ray

Anonimo
06-11-2010, 18:16
BAM Just picked up lasermax today. I've not used it yet, but it sure is kewl :)
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h100/dallastt/DSC_0098.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h100/dallastt/DSC_0099-1-1.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h100/dallastt/DSC_0100-1.jpg

HK45Mark23
06-11-2010, 23:19
I have ran LM for around 18 years or something, I have never had one gun disabling problem with them and I have owned many of them. Every Glock I have ever owned has been equipped with them.

RayB
06-12-2010, 12:53
I have ran LM for around 18 years or something, I have never had one gun disabling problem with them and I have owned many of them. Every Glock I have ever owned has been equipped with them.

Our experience with LaserMax in our G19 and G21 mirrors yours.

Look, you'll get defects and failures in every product category. Take cars...

We once had a brand new VW Jetta delivered with all four wheels out of alignment--and the dealer wanted to argue about it! :steamed:

Our 2002 Mazda Protégé has been an unfortunate anomaly too. This car, renowned for its reliability, has had nearly everything break on it--including the horn! The freaking horn?! :burn:

That does not mean that all Volkswagens are crap (my friend has one with 200,000-miles), and I appear to be the only one on GT (Lounge Forum) with a lemon Mazda Protégé! :crying:

I've seen refurbished Crimson Trace Laser Grips for sale at places like MidwayUSA... A recent GT post described two-in-a-row failures with new Viridian X5Ls... Another GT member couldn't get the laser in his new SureFire X400 aligned, and had to return it... It happens... :dunno:

Based on my great experience with LaserMax in my G21, when I bought Judy her new G19, I installed a LaserMax guide rod laser immediately. The new gun had some fail-to-feed issues, and immediately some GT members said, Lose the LaserMax! It turned out to be one of five new magazines--an OEM stock part! :whistling:

So yes, I believe some legitimate defects do surface. As an OEM sales rep for fourteen years, I can believe an entire run of defects can surface at times--e.g., Toyota--due to mass production.

At any rate, our own experience with LaserMax has been excellent and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another!

--Ray

P.S. Live-fire range test every accessory with your carry ammo!

glock37gap
06-12-2010, 17:54
how about the other issue of activation process during a shtf situation. this is the other thing i'm considering before making my decision. thanks for all the replies.

MarccraM
06-12-2010, 19:51
I think the key concept is that generally if a crimson trace laser fails the only thing that happens is the laser doesn't turn on.. If a lasermax device fails, the gun may not function properly.

In my mind that's one whopper of a difference.

hikerpaddler
06-13-2010, 08:38
The lasermax internal is tops by a mile, but for those that can't afford them, or have weapons for which the lasermax isn't available, crimson trace is reliable and has good customer service too.

OMEGA5
06-13-2010, 08:50

I agree and throw in Laserlyte too. Own all 3 and if CT made a laser
for the 33SF and if I had know then what I know now about the LaserMax,
I'd only own CT's.
Dano

Bill Lumberg
06-13-2010, 08:53
Correct.

The lasermax internal is tops by a mile, but for those that can't afford them, or have weapons for which the lasermax isn't available, crimson trace is reliable and has good customer service too.

RayB
06-13-2010, 13:50
how about the other issue of activation process during a shtf situation. this is the other thing i'm considering before making my decision. thanks for all the replies.

That point remains valid--instant-on is a great feature in a CCW or BUG!

I guess it's rather like flipping off a safety, or switching on a weapon light--you practice until you're good at it!

And if the device's impact on the weapon's ergonomics is too much for you, the instant-on advantage is somewhat mitigated, IMO.

In Wiskonsin, we can't carry... Maybe when Scott Walker replaces our Libtard Governor, Jim--Let's Make A Deal--Doyle, we'll be able to.

On a bedside platform, I prefer manual activation at my discretion. I don't want the laser automatically coming on any more than I want the weapon light to!

In any case, to use these things--laser and lights--properly, forethought and practice drills are a necessary part of it!

--Ray

RayB
06-13-2010, 14:05
I think the key concept is that generally if a crimson trace laser fails the only thing that happens is the laser doesn't turn on.. If a lasermax device fails, the gun may not function properly.

In my mind that's one whopper of a difference.

I appreciate this philosophy... You live long enough, you see a lot... :whistling:

And yet the OEM plastic guide rod is hardly an impressive piece of hardware. Many shooters replace the stock guide rod immediately with an aftermarket tungsten or stainless steel model. :headscratch:

But I have spare OEM guide rods for all three of our Glocks, and I have yet to swap one out--and my G17's got 14,000-rounds on it! :wow:

Conversely, over thousands of rounds on both LaserMax guide rod units, I've had no failures either, though I did swap out springs and battery caps as a matter of routine maintenance. :eyebrow:

Still, like I say, I can understand the leave it stock mentality. I also have a rail-mounted LaserMax LMS-UNI-G that I like a lot! The ergonomics are great, it accommodates a weapon light, and that green laser is the bee's knees for 24/7 visibility! :thumbsup:

--Ray

Anonimo
06-13-2010, 18:41
Here is a lil video I made of mine. You can see how straight/dead on it is right out of the box.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw3AzpzxEQc

HK45Mark23
06-14-2010, 16:58
Great Video!!! Loved the dog trying to eat the dot!!!