95gr. or 115gr. CORBON DPX 9mm? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 95gr. or 115gr. CORBON DPX 9mm?

AggiePhil
06-07-2010, 19:41
Looking at AmmunitionToGo's website, there are two flavors of Cor-Bon DPX in 9mm: a 95gr. version and a 115gr. version. Which would be best? These will be carried in a GLOCK 19.

BadAndy
06-07-2010, 22:37
115gr.

IndyGunFreak
06-07-2010, 22:53
The version that isn't branded Corbon.. :)

I'd probably go w/ the 115gr, just cuz I prefer weight.

IGF

Ak.Hiker
06-07-2010, 22:59
I would go with the 115 grain. The Barnes bullet in the DPX is very well thought of. I like the extra penetration of the heavier bullet. You never know when you will need it. If you had to save someone or yourself from a tough animal like a pit bull I think you would be very happy that you went with the 115 grain over the 95. Those X bullets will keep 100% of their weight even when hitting heavy bone.

TheGrimReaper
06-08-2010, 06:51
I too would go with 115gr.

TeamCorbon
06-08-2010, 18:28
From the horses mouth instead of the internet commandos!

The 95 gr standard pressure DPX load in 9mm was designed for use in the smallest compact 9mm pistol. It actually mimics the performance of the 115 gr +P load fired from a full sized gun when the 95 gr load is fired from a compact 9mm. If you shoot the 115 gr +P 9mm DPX load from a gun with a 4-4.5" barrel into ballistic gelatin, it would give you 15-16" penetration with a recovered diameter of @ .60" The same results would be obtained using the 95 gr load in a 9mm pistol with a 3" barrel.

If you use the 95 gr DPX load in a full sized gun, it would give deeper penetration ( probably 19-20" in ballistic gelatin).

AggiePhil
06-08-2010, 18:48

The 95 gr standard pressure DPX load in 9mm was designed for use in the smallest compact 9mm pistol. It actually mimics the performance of the 115 gr +P load fired from a full sized gun when the 95 gr load is fired from a compact 9mm. If you shoot the 115 gr +P 9mm DPX load from a gun with a 4-4.5" barrel into ballistic gelatin, it would give you 15-16" penetration with a recovered diameter of @ .60" The same results would be obtained using the 95 gr load in a 9mm pistol with a 3" barrel.

If you use the 95 gr DPX load in a full sized gun, it would give deeper penetration ( probably 19-20" in ballistic gelatin).
So by that logic, I should go with the 95gr.

BOGE
06-08-2010, 21:30
Many Internet Commandos donīt realize that DPX is solid copper and does not break up & they ALWAYS open up. There is no better self defense Ļgo toĻ ammo available IMO. Weight is of no great concern here due to the penetration factor.

Ak.Hiker
06-10-2010, 23:31
So by that logic, I should go with the 95gr.
From the information that Mike at CB gave I would think that the standard 95 grain CB DPX would be the best choice for a sub compact 9mm. If it was me I would still go with the heavier 115 grain +P for your Glock 19. CB has a real winner with their DPX line. I would trust them 100% in the field.

Alaskapopo
06-10-2010, 23:33
Looking at AmmunitionToGo's website, there are two flavors of Cor-Bon DPX in 9mm: a 95gr. version and a 115gr. version. Which would be best? These will be carried in a GLOCK 19.

Heavier the better. No way I would trust the 95 grain version. Frankly I am no Corbon fan.
Pat

AggiePhil
06-11-2010, 18:47
From the information that Mike at CB gave I would think that the standard 95 grain CB DPX would be the best choice for a sub compact 9mm. If it was me I would still go with the heavier 115 grain +P for your Glock 19. CB has a real winner with their DPX line. I would trust them 100% in the field.

OK, so deeper penetration isn't better?

Sorry, I'm really not trying to be obstinate. But he said that the 95gr. in a longer barrel will give you even more penetration. So, if that is the case, and if more penetration is better, then the 95gr. would be the first choice, no?

Alaskapopo
06-11-2010, 19:03
OK, so deeper penetration isn't better?

Sorry, I'm really not trying to be obstinate. But he said that the 95gr. in a longer barrel will give you even more penetration. So, if that is the case, and if more penetration is better, then the 95gr. would be the first choice, no?

Generally when you speed a hollow point up it penetrates less and expands more. So the lighter bullet would not get deeper penetration in a longer faster barrel. But this being a copper hollow point things may be different.
Pat

JW1178
06-11-2010, 19:13
I don't think I would want to go lower than 115gr in a 9mm. That is a .380's bullet.

Alaskapopo
06-11-2010, 19:22
I don't think I would want to go lower than 115gr in a 9mm. That is a .380's bullet.
Since the bullet is all copper the 95 grain version is similar in size to a 115 grian conventional lead and copper bullet. Personally I am not a fan of light for their size copper bullets.
Pat

06-11-2010, 20:13
The 115gr DPX is the more thoroughly tested and proven of the two, I would go with that.

JW1178
06-11-2010, 20:42
Since the bullet is all copper the 95 grain version is similar in size to a 115 grian conventional lead and copper bullet. Personally I am not a fan of light for their size copper bullets.
Pat

I wish there was more real world shooting reports of how this bullet actually performs in real life. Do any LE agencies use them? What looks great on paper and in the lab doesn't always pan out in the real world. Not saying it will or won't, but I am just wondering.

BOGE
06-12-2010, 01:15
I wish there was more real world shooting reports of how this bullet actually performs in real life. Do any LE agencies use them? What looks great on paper and in the lab doesn't always pan out in the real world. Not saying it will or won't, but I am just wondering.

Only a handful of reports as the high cost will deter LEO.

NMGlocker
06-13-2010, 07:22
The Barnes X design has a long successful track record as an excellent round on all sizes of game animals and in all calibers.
I have zero doubts as to its effectiveness as a self defense bullet.
The design has been proven in the field.
After all, humans are just another animal and we're not that tough to kill.

glocksterr
06-13-2010, 07:32
Personally I am not a fan of light for their size copper bullets.
Pat

no disrespect but as a SD round, why?

corbon seems to have their act together in the DPX line. i have seen nothin but good things from it and suspect they have done much testing and seem to have it dialed in.

the biggest issue is price. the round has many plus+++'s.

Alaskapopo
06-13-2010, 12:56
no disrespect but as a SD round, why?

corbon seems to have their act together in the DPX line. i have seen nothin but good things from it and suspect they have done much testing and seem to have it dialed in.

the biggest issue is price. the round has many plus+++'s.

They seem to open well. My problem is they will always be slower and lighter than a copper/lead core bullet. They will always have less energy and momentum to work with. You will always have light for caliber bullets going slower than they should. I am not a fan of Corbon's quality control. I had a 357 sig from them KB a Glock I had many years ago. I am grateful that my shooting hand is intact. Corbon did the right thing and fixed the gun. But I could have been hurt. I have also had issues with miss fires with their ammo. That should not happen with a maker of defensive ammo.

Pat

jwagess
06-14-2010, 19:38
Go with 115 gr

Snapper2
06-16-2010, 21:41
I shot a few of these 115gr bullets into a 24hr soaked wet pack and got at least 14" out of a G19. Expansion was .700(without denim). Fired a few 124 and 147gr xtp and gold dots also. The Barnes bullet appears to do a lot more damage in a wet pack. I haven't tried the 95gr bullets but I'd like to test them sided by side out of a g19.

BOGE
06-17-2010, 09:34
They seem to open well. My problem is they will always be slower and lighter than a copper/lead core bullet. They will always have less energy and momentum to work with. You will always have light for caliber bullets going slower than they should...

They make the DPX 9mm in 115 gr. and itīs a real shooter in all my 9mm`s. I also use a 200 gr. DPX in .44 Spcl. Not all the DPX offerings are lighter than standard factory jacketed lead bullets.

To each his own, but DPX has shown in repeated torture testing that NOTHING even comes close to its performance for penetration AND never failing to open up. Itīs what I carry in my chambers.

triggerjerk
06-17-2010, 10:24
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8yWGq3c1OI&NR=1

glocksterr
06-17-2010, 15:15
"i got one in the chamber, and 10 in the clip, ahhh!"

06-17-2010, 19:52
To each his own, but DPX has shown in repeated torture testing that NOTHING even comes close to its performance for penetration AND never failing to open up. Itīs what I carry in my chambers.

Fed HST easily matches DPX performance and reliability in regards to penetration and expansion. DPX also does some funky stuff when going through auto glass. Perfect bullets do not exist, and failures will happen. We should not be putting faith in our chosen bullets performance, but rather in the ability God has given us to fight and win even when things go wrong, because things will go wrong.

Corbon being a smaller company does not have the QC that larger companies tend to have and regardless of how wonderful the bullet itself might be, if the round doesn't go bang and leave the barrel it doesn't do us any good. So if someone has reliability issues with Corbon that is a great reason not to use them as Alaskapopo stated for his reasoning and was not completely quoted on. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Ak.Hiker
06-17-2010, 20:46
I have found CorBon to be a top quality product for me. Any problems I have had with their products were gun related. My Colt Python did not like their 200 grain Penetrator but the 200 grain HC load is one of my favorites in the same gun. They load a 320 grain Penetrator for the 454 but my Super Redhawk prefers their 360 grain load. In bear country if you carry a 44 Magnum it would be very hard to beat their 305 grain Penetrator load. The only bullet for the 44 that is as tough as the Penetrator that I know of is the Punch bullet. They load several very good heavy 45 Colt loads as well. The 300 grain JSP [Sierra bullet] is a favorite of mine. I appreciate the fact that CorBon put some of these loads on the market years ago when it was very difficult to find factory field protection loads. The same for their 200 grain Penetrator in 10mm as well as their Bonded core game bullet line for handguns. Their DPX line is another example of providing a top quality product for the general public. They were early on the market with the 115 grain 9mm +P load that was the equal to the police only loads of the time as well. They also are very good at responding to e-mail questions.

BOGE
06-18-2010, 11:47
Fed HST easily matches DPX performance and reliability in regards to penetration and expansion...

Not exactly true. HST does not always open up 100% through certain hard barriers. DPX does. John Farnham proved this with DPX. I have no qualms with HST as it is a great design, but for 99% of the CCW crowd it offers liitle if any gain over a Gold Dot.

Alaskapopo
06-18-2010, 13:12
Not exactly true. HST does not always open up 100% through certain hard barriers. DPX does. John Farnham proved this with DPX. I have no qualms with HST as it is a great design, but for 99% of the CCW crowd it offers liitle if any gain over a Gold Dot.

The HST always expands to larger diameters than the Gold dot. I have not seen one test where the DPX out performed it.
Pat

BOGE
06-18-2010, 16:46
The HST always expands to larger diameters than the Gold dot. I have not seen one test where the DPX out performed it.
Pat

No perp is going to know the difference between a bullet that is say 0.567 and one that is 0.600 for cryin`out loud. The only advantage that TACTICAL HST has over GD`s is better hard barrier penetration and really nothing more. DPX beats both through more unyielding barriers. If you don`t believe me then shoot them both through some steel.

06-18-2010, 17:40
"No perp is going to know the difference between a bullet that is say 0.567 and one that is 0.600 for cryin`out loud. The only advantage that TACTICAL HST has over GD`s is better hard barrier penetration and really nothing more. DPX beats both through more unyielding barriers. If you don`t believe me then shoot them both through some steel." <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

How can an unbonded bullet (HST) outperform a bonded bullet (GD) through hard barriers? That seems counter-intuitive. I have yet to see a test where the DPX significantly outperformed the HST or GD for that matter and likewise in reverse. No doubt the DPX is a good bullet, but so is the HST and GD and several other premium JHP designs. There is however reports of the DPX having issues with auto glass, where as the HST and GD do not.

Corbon is also a much smaller company than say ATK and as a result cannot offer the same level of QC as a larger company. Not to mention the cost of DPX is prohibitive when taking into account the necessary rounds that need to be put down range for function testing. Even the Black Hills round loaded with the Barnes bullet is comparatively pricey.

The DPX has a lot going for it, and a lot going against it, as do all the other viable JHP rounds on the market. I wouldn't knock anyone for using DPX, nor would I knock anyone for using any other premium JHP that is a decent performer.

In the end it is not the bullet getting the job done, it is the guy pulling the trigger.

AggiePhil
06-18-2010, 17:55
Good discussion going on here guys. I appreciate all the info, from every side.

Alaskapopo
06-18-2010, 18:51
No perp is going to know the difference between a bullet that is say 0.567 and one that is 0.600 for cryin`out loud. The only advantage that TACTICAL HST has over GD`s is better hard barrier penetration and really nothing more. DPX beats both through more unyielding barriers. If you don`t believe me then shoot them both through some steel.

There is not such thing as Tactical HST. Federal does have a Bonded line but it does not use the HST bullet. HST out expands the Gold dot significantly in my tests. In fact a 9mm 147 grain HST has similar expansion to the 45 230 grain Gold Dot. The Gold dot out penetrates it. It depends on what you want. I prefer 12 inches of penetration and then after that I put a premium on expansion. Again I have not seen any tests showing DPX to be better than HST. If you have the links it would be appreciated. Here are the pics of my bullet tests.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/bullets/45acpGoldDot.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/bullets/9mm4045Golddots.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/bullets/9mm4045HST.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/bullets/45HSTnoflash.jpg

Alaskapopo
06-18-2010, 18:55
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

How can an unbonded bullet (HST) outperform a bonded bullet (GD) through hard barriers? That seems counter-intuitive. I have yet to see a test where the DPX significantly outperformed the HST or GD for that matter and likewise in reverse. No doubt the DPX is a good bullet, but so is the HST and GD and several other premium JHP designs. There is however reports of the DPX having issues with auto glass, where as the HST and GD do not.

Corbon is also a much smaller company than say ATK and as a result cannot offer the same level of QC as a larger company. Not to mention the cost of DPX is prohibitive when taking into account the necessary rounds that need to be put down range for function testing. Even the Black Hills round loaded with the Barnes bullet is comparatively pricey.

The DPX has a lot going for it, and a lot going against it, as do all the other viable JHP rounds on the market. I wouldn't knock anyone for using DPX, nor would I knock anyone for using any other premium JHP that is a decent performer.

In the end it is not the bullet getting the job done, it is the guy pulling the trigger.

Boge has the Federal line mixed up. An easy thing to do in this day and age with all the options available to us. I have nothing against DPX other than its light for size bullets. Copper will always take up more space than lead. So what you end up with is a 115 grain bullet that is copper taking up the same space inside the case as a 147 grain conventional lead/copper jacketed bullet.
Pat

AggiePhil
06-18-2010, 18:59
Don't quite understand your photos there, Popo. What are the different kinds of bullets? The only labels I see say Gold Dots, but there are clearly at least two different bullet types there.

Alaskapopo
06-18-2010, 19:09
Don't quite understand your photos there, Popo. What are the different kinds of bullets? The only labels I see say Gold Dots, but there are clearly at least two different bullet types there.

The two pics on the top are Gold dots. The top pic is a 45 acp 230 grain Gold dot. Next pic down is a 9mm,40 and 45 Golddot.

The bottom two pics are HST bullets.
The 3rd row is 9mm, 40 and 45 acp HST bullets.
The bottom picture is 3 differernt 45 HST bullets.
Pat

AggiePhil
06-18-2010, 20:02
Where can I find the Federal HST? ATG doesn't appear to have it.

Alaskapopo
06-18-2010, 21:51
Where can I find the Federal HST? ATG doesn't appear to have it.

I get mine at a cop shop in Anchorage. I can't get ammo shipped up to Alaska unless you get a lot of it by a lot I mean pallets. But you should be able to get some down there on line.
Pat

vinnynj
06-09-2012, 23:41

And how many .380 bullets go 1300 fps out of a 3.1" barrel, expand to .60" and penetrates 12-17" through all kinds of barriers? Do you think a 40 gr. .223 round is the same as a .22? Same weight as some of my .22lr or mag ammo but very different results. You have know that velocity as well as mass matters.

Foxtrotx1
06-09-2012, 23:55
First off, don't trust the manufacturer on velocity or penetration specs. They are trying to sell you a product.

Copper bullets have less sectional density, (size vs. weight basically) meaning they Will penetrate less than a conventional lead bullet driven at equal speeds (which they are not, they are slower, less case volume). Why? larger area means more friction and drag.

If Copper bullets were so good, everybody would use them.

Adamz04
06-10-2012, 06:14
I don't understand when some people say all dpx loads always open up. I did some backyard testing with wetpack and denim, while its not quite scientific, I had 2 115 gr dpx that did not expand and hit my backstop. Out of 3 the tested the one that did expand did a mere .60. I do carry dpx in my 380 because I had much better success with that. When it came time to choose a load for my 9 nothing came close to the expansion of hst.

Im not to concerned with all the barrier penetration tests because I think most self defense situations will not include these unless u r law enforcement.
I think dpx is a great concept and it has it's rightful place in the market but for now I'll stick with hst in most of my guns

dkf
06-10-2012, 07:40
I don't understand when some people say all dpx loads always open up.

Fanboy talk. Any bullet can fail to expand at any time, there are too many variables.

unit1069
06-10-2012, 09:01

Based upon TeamCorbon's response I'd say the heavier DPX round is the better choice.

If you shoot the 115 gr +P 9mm DPX load from a gun with a 4-4.5" barrel into ballistic gelatin, it would give you 15-16" penetration with a recovered diameter of @ .60"

The G-19 has a 4.02" barrel; if this translates to a minimum of 13-14 inches of expected penetration then I'd go with the expansion over additional penetration, like Alaskapopo has already mentioned.

happyguy
06-10-2012, 09:26
There was a test of service calibers through two sheets of 16 ga. steel separated by 1.75 inches of air. All of the DPX line penetrated both sheets of steel. NONE of the conventional bullets did. Not a single one.

Should you base your decision on what ammo to carry on this test? No!

Should you take this performance into account when you are deciding what ammo to carry? ABSOLUTELY!

Regards,
Happyguy :)

dkf
06-10-2012, 11:24
There was a test of service calibers through two sheets of 16 ga. steel separated by 1.75 inches of air. All of the DPX line penetrated both sheets of steel. NONE of the conventional bullets did. Not a single one.I'll have to try that test with my .357sig loads. I've got plenty of 16ga laying around...

Thing is i havn't seen a vehicle body skin made out of 16ga. The super old vehicles are close but the vehicles made in the last 20+ years are not even close.

Little Joe
06-10-2012, 11:58

Does this same logic hold true with the .45 ACP, 160 gr & 185gr loads? I would assume so.

The reason I ask is because the 45 GAP DPX load is only offered in 160gr. It is listed at the same velocity of the .45 ACP 160gr load. Will I have over penetration issues shooting the 45 GAP load out of a 4.5" G37? If, no. Why not?

Little Joe
06-10-2012, 12:02
There was a test of service calibers through two sheets of 16 ga. steel separated by 1.75 inches of air. All of the DPX line penetrated both sheets of steel. NONE of the conventional bullets did. Not a single one.

Should you base your decision on what ammo to carry on this test? No!

Should you take this performance into account when you are deciding what ammo to carry? ABSOLUTELY!

Regards,

Interesting. John Farnham was testing DPX against some of the well known premium self-defense loads using gel and denim. They decided to add a leather jacket on top of that to increase the degree of difficulty. The DPX was the only bullet that did not clog and fail to expand through all of that.

EDITED TO ADD: http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-203800.html

glocksterr
06-10-2012, 13:12
not looking to rehash any old wounds but the light for caliber DPX out penetrates any of its high expansion peers in any testing that i have done or seen.

it peretrates hard barriers better and offers a lot of energy transfer, second only to the GD in my testing.

is it a magic bullet? maybe not but it will get the job done as well as any.

that said, i do carry HST in the calibers its produced in. the rest by default are choosen to be DPX>

but ya, 115gr, ATW of the 9mini meter<

cowboy1964
06-10-2012, 13:20
Good round (I Guess? Because there's no real world data) but at $2 per round? No thanks, Gold Dots work just fine.

glocksterr
06-10-2012, 13:27
Good round (I Guess? Because there's no real world data) but at $2 per round? No thanks, Gold Dots work just fine.

what do you consider RW data? you dont think anybody has shot gello or live critters with? guess again. where is all this GD RW data?

dont hate it because it works. GD's have a reputation for not expanding but ya, they still poke holes in you...

DPX outperforms GD's in every aspect besides price and rate of energy transfer and thats only if the GD's expands.

happyguy
06-10-2012, 13:54
This is the data on the 9mm DPX test. Only one round was fired through the sheet steel.

10% Ballistic Gelatin Tests for:
Corbon 9mm 115gr. +p DPX

Testing Platform:
Glock 19

Barrier:
2 layers of 16 gauge* steel

TEST RESULTS:

Round # 1:
Penetration: 7.25"
Recovered Weight: 114.3 gr.
Expansion*: .440cal.

* Expansion measured at widest point.

Lately I've been carrying the G23 with the DPX load.

10% Ballistic Gelatin Tests for:
Corbon .40 S&W 140gr. DPX

Testing Platform:
Browning High Power

Barrier:
2 Layers of 16 gauge steel

TEST RESULTS:

Round # 1:
Penetration: 12.50"
Recovered Weight: 139.0 gr.
Expansion*: .507 cal.

* Expansion measured at widest point.

Regards,

Little Joe
06-13-2012, 13:15
Does this same logic hold true with the .45 ACP, 160 gr & 185gr loads? I would assume so.

The reason I ask is because the 45 GAP DPX load is only offered in 160gr. It is listed at the same velocity of the .45 ACP 160gr load. Will I have over penetration issues shooting the 45 GAP load out of a 4.5" G37? If, no. Why not?

I received an email reply to this question from Corbon. I include it here for the benefit of a future searcher.

I was told to expect probably 17" - 18" of penetration in soft tissue for the 45 GAP load out of a G37 4.5" barrel, and that it was the best choice in this particular caliber.

257 roberts
06-14-2012, 14:50
Corbon DPX is probably the very best defensive ammo available IF you can afford it

SCmasterblaster
06-14-2012, 16:42
Go with the 115gr - better penetration, especially through glass.

Mark9Fogger
06-14-2012, 22:28
I bought some 155-grain DPXs for my G20. Love the lesser recoil thru the gun, but at about 3 bucks a round I won't be buying any more of that brand and caliber any time soon.

Shark1007
06-15-2012, 19:18
Alaskapopo raises a good point regarding quality control. When I had three of the first eight dpx rounds fail to light, I had a conversation with Corbon and they advised "we don't make our own primers" sort of apologetically. They were 115 grainers in 9mm.

I carry 185's in .45 and never had one fail to light, but, in the back of my mind am a little leary. I also have a current problem with a Kahr pm45 not feeding Ranger T's or DPX rounds, but I think it's the weapon, not the ammo, in fairness.

I'm on the HST bandwagon too, the research looks impressive and I just wish I had a teeny weeny more confidence in Corbon. I'm old school and used to duty carry Lee Jurras Super Vel loads which were the Corbons of the day.

I wouldn't care if the magic round was five bucks a pop if it were that much better than the rest (and you didn't have to practice too much, bang 5, bang 10, bang15....) It's an inexact science over an issue we will all hopefully never need to test.

In the meantime, scores of insomniacs will pore over the screens of their laptops, deciphering penetration tests and wondering if A is better than B. I will continue to do the same and some day may figure it out. Col Jeff Cooper said one of my favorite quotes regarding self defense "Buying a gun doesn't any more make a person armed than buying a guitar makes you a musician." Same with ammo, I suppose.

Go with the 115 if you decide on the Corbon, I chose Ranger 127 +p+ instead.

glocksterr
06-15-2012, 20:23
I was told to expect probably 17" - 18" of penetration in soft tissue for the 45 GAP load

what is soft tissue? are we talking gello? how could you estimate flesh ?

do tell...

i would expect 13"-15" but who cares?

you would need a wee bit more firepower to get 18" IMHO!