What I learned here. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What I learned here.

JW1178
06-07-2010, 21:49
These forums, although full of BS a lot of times, has given me a lot of insight. I remember when I got my first Glock, the G27 many years ago. For years I would only carried Winchester Super X 155gr Silvertips. I thought they were the best of the best. I read the side of the box, it said 1200fps and 500ft/lbs energy. I guess info wasn't as available like now, the the test I found showed the silvertip as expanding to .80" which was better than all other offerings. So, they were just the best, Gold Dot's were what people who don't know what to carry. (so I thought) I noticed they really had some "bang" when I fired them, smoke, flash, heavy recoil... these were the hottest and therefore the most powerfu, the most effectivel. Went to a friend's house where we shot some bottled waters, MAN, those silvertips really made those bottles explode.

I started reading up on these forums, which if anything else made me do some research, I started learning about how things worked. then started doing my own research. I'll tell you, I have learned a whole lot and I do not carry Silvertips anymore. I can't write everything I learned here, I don't have that time to write it all down, but it's a lot. I thank everyone here for their insight , even if wrong, at least questions were raised and made us think. This is just caliber I'm talking about here, not to mention the other subforums where I have really learned.

Thank you everyone! :wavey: My life might be longed due to what I have learned here.

Laramie In MT
06-07-2010, 22:46
These forums, although full of BS a lot of times, has given me a lot of insight. I remember when I got my first Glock, the G27 many years ago. For years I would only carried Winchester Super X 155gr Silvertips. I thought they were the best of the best. I read the side of the box, it said 1200fps and 500ft/lbs energy. I guess info wasn't as available like now, the the test I found showed the silvertip as expanding to .80" which was better than all other offerings. So, they were just the best, Gold Dot's were what people who don't know what to carry. (so I thought) I noticed they really had some "bang" when I fired them, smoke, flash, heavy recoil... these were the hottest and therefore the most powerfu, the most effectivel. Went to a friend's house where we shot some bottled waters, MAN, those silvertips really made those bottles explode.

I started reading up on these forums, which if anything else made me do some research, I started learning about how things worked. then started doing my own research. I'll tell you, I have learned a whole lot and I do not carry Silvertips anymore. I can't write everything I learned here, I don't have that time to write it all down, but it's a lot. I thank everyone here for their insight , even if wrong, at least questions were raised and made us think. This is just caliber I'm talking about here, not to mention the other subforums where I have really learned.

Thank you everyone! :wavey: My life might be longed due to what I have learned here.

Say no more...you summed it up ;) :wavey:

Ak.Hiker
06-07-2010, 22:49
We are all learning every day. Just when you figure out what load you want to carry something new comes along and the testing starts all over again. Otherwise we would all be carrying Silvertips and Hydra-Shoks. Lots of good bullets to choose from. The older designs still have their following. I would still feel well protected with the Winchester Silvertip in my 10mm or 40 S&W. I could say the same thing about the Hydra-Shok in the 45 ACP. I am a little old school myself. The Hornady XTP is still one of my favorite designs.