Viridian C5L Green Laser/Light Where to buy? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Viridian C5L Green Laser/Light Where to buy?

12smile
06-08-2010, 04:32
This is a very nice light / laser combo.

It has Strobing Light and Stobing Laser.

It's COMPACT much smaller than the Previous version the X5L.

About $280....It's just been released and I've seen a review from someone who purchased it on Opticsplanet.com ....they are out of stock and so is everyone else...

Does anyone have this light and where did they get it..It seems to be the perfect size for a Glock 30.

Thanks

RayB
06-08-2010, 04:48
MidwayUSA apparently has it...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=232855

Don't expect a whole lot from the light, as a minimum reflector size is necessary to put light where it's needed, regardless of how bright the point source is.

--Ray

Raydon3000
06-08-2010, 17:20
I went there, http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=232855 (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=232855) , and it says "Coming Soon".

12smile
06-08-2010, 19:30
OK, plan b :)

I know a few were shipped from opticsplanet.com

Anywhere else...Google is giving me nothing.

I almost bought the X5L or the Glock Light Laser....This is the PERFECT
LIGHT LASER for my use with the Glock 30. It's only a few weeks away but I'd like to start carrying the Glock 30 at night and I'm accustomed to a laser.

On this unit the Light half is intentionally secondary, I assume. The Glock gtl 22 would be a better choice if the light were primary.

Also this is a GREEN LASER and I have high expectations for it's power, regardless of battery life.

Strobing light, strobing laser...I'm preparing for a Dark Alley.

Anyone have this...I'd be interested in experiences with the larger unit the X5L also.

Thanks

Raydon3000
06-08-2010, 22:35
I almost bought the X5L or the Glock Light Laser....This is the PERFECT
LIGHT LASER for my use with the Glock 30.

Anyone have this...I'd be interested in experiences with the larger unit the X5L also.

This is the same situation that I have with my G30. Please somebody post some reviews.

RayB
06-08-2010, 22:36
Reports on the X5L have been generally very good!

Magazine reviews on the X5L have been consistently good!

One GT owner of the X5L did report that the light was 'okay', and not up to par with a TLR-1 C4's or better weapon light's performance... Again, I noted the small reflector size of the X5L's light...

My wife bought a cheap LED flashlight/laser that has the laser emitter right within the flashlight's reflector, sort of like this: -( : )- The upper dot being the LED bulb, and the lower dot being the laser emitter. A slick design that works well! :thumbsup:

--Ray

bentbiker
06-08-2010, 23:48
I'd be interested in experiences with the larger unit the X5L also.
See http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15330674&highlight=x5L#post15330674 .

RayB
06-09-2010, 14:16
That is the only negative review of the X5L in the GT archive...

Most accounts of the Viridian X5L I've read on GT have been very positive!

I've got the LaserMax LMS-UNI-G green laser coupled with an XTI Procyon (see attached) weapon light, and love it!

The laser is tiny--about the size of a matchbox--with its own accessory rail molded in!

The light is excellent--easily rivaling my SureFire!

And the two units, laser and light, can separate for individual use or use on multiple weapons!

--Ray

12smile
06-09-2010, 19:51
Almost bought the X5L...glad I waited for the compact version...the Light part of it is secondary...I like the stobing effect to let bad guy know that there's some hardware coming his way.

Slivertusk
06-14-2010, 16:58
most likely your gun dealer/distributer could order one through a whole seller or from the viridian company. That's how i got my x5l.
Though i have a x5l i'm having laser problems (laser won't turn on after shooting session) perhaps the c5l maybe the better choice.

bentbiker
06-14-2010, 18:12
Though i have a x5l i'm having laser problems (laser won't turn on after shooting session) perhaps the c5l maybe the better choice.
This is the same problem I had with my GLK and X5L units. Assuming you are still within the warranty period, you might want to ask Michelle whether they might send you a C5L as a replacement instead of another X5L. If the C5L solves the problem, I'd be a customer again. Once you've had a green laser combo unit, I think you get spoiled.

12smile
06-15-2010, 06:38
This is the same problem I had with my GLK and X5L units. Assuming you are still within the warranty period, you might want to ask Michelle whether they might send you a C5L as a replacement instead of another X5L. If the C5L solves the problem, I'd be a customer again. Once you've had a green laser combo unit, I think you get spoiled.

So....are you guys saying Viridian has "quality" problems?

My Crimson Trace Laser guard sight for the Kel-Tec .380 works great ...I did however have another brand die on me ($$$)

I'd like to know that $300 spent on the Viridian C5L would last at least 5 years if not 10.

Slivertusk
06-16-2010, 19:45
It might be just a fluke. I haven't heard of any other problems like mine. Personally if i can trade it in maybe i'll stick with viridian.

12smile
06-25-2010, 01:44
mine is on order at Opticsplanet.com....just waiting.

Next.....the holster.

I'm thinking of black nylon w/ a spring steel belt clip and some velcro holding the snaps in place...you see those at gun shows for under $20.

I would be wearing this outside clipped to my belt.

I use one of those for my kel-tec .380 and it works fine.

Any suggestions?

Viridian Green Laser
06-25-2010, 10:28
Guys,
Thanks for all the nice words on the product. The C5L is very new and very exciting. We are working extremely hard to get as many as we can. Thanks for everyone's patience.

As far as holsters go, we will be producing several different holsters ourselves for C5/C5L-equipped firearms. Also, a C5/C5L-equipped firearm should fit in most standard light bearing holsters on the market because of its slim design.

Please let us know if anyone has any other questions. Thanks again for all the support.

Andy Scott
Viridian Green Laser Sights
http://www.viridiangreenlaser.com/

Raydon3000
06-25-2010, 17:23
Ordered a C5L today from Opticsplanet, let me know when your's comes in and I'll do the same.

MrGlock45
06-26-2010, 13:21
I had the GLK for use on my G30SF, but could not find a good usable holster for it. The unit was just too big and the quick release button would always catch on the interior holster material. (Yes that included heavy duty balistic nylon.)
When the new model came out, I called Veridian and dealt with Michelle, what a pleasure it was to be able to talk to someone who understood the problem. I inquired about the cost of upgrading from my GLK to the new C5, and she called me back with an answer in a timely fashion.
It cost me $25.00 to upgrade and that including free shipping of the new unit to me. I did pay for Priority Mail to ship my original GLK back to Veridian.
I could not believe how much better the C5 fits the compacts (G30SF, and my G38.)
I am one very happy camper, and love the new Veridian unit, and would highly recommend it to anyone.
As always good luck and stay safe. :cool:

12smile
08-17-2010, 01:11
Actually not one but 2.....it was backordered at optics planet and all the sudden Midway usa emails me that they have them in stock...so I pay for one w/ Midway Usa and cancel the Optics Planet one...but they didn't get the cancelation request in time and have shipped me a SECOND C5L

??????

it wont be a problem.

I've got it attached to the Glock 30 and it's perfect.

I'll review it at a more reasonable hour....

Bright, Bright geen laser and Strobing (or not) white LED.

Nice.

Raydon3000
08-18-2010, 14:44
Actually not one but 2.....it was backordered at optics planet and all the sudden Midway usa emails me that they have them in stock...so I pay for one w/ Midway Usa and cancel the Optics Planet one...but they didn't get the cancelation request in time and have shipped me a SECOND C5L

??????

it wont be a problem.

I've got it attached to the Glock 30 and it's perfect.

I'll review it at a more reasonable hour....

Bright, Bright geen laser and Strobing (or not) white LED.

Nice.

Haven't heard a word from Opticsplanet and we ordered it about the same time. Hopefully anyday.

12smile
08-19-2010, 00:53
This is a very nice piece of hardware.
Precision made.
Glad I waited for the new model C5L
It is extremely customizable.
several different modes
laser only
strobing laser
laser & light (w/ adjustable brightness)
laser & strobing light
light only.

in those categories there are several levels of adjustment.

brightness / frequency of strobe etc.

a very well designed unit worth $300

I like constant laser & strobing led

the frequency of the strobe is adjustable and I like relatively fast.

Why spend $300 ? so I don't have to actually shoot some sorry-ass
loser who wants to rob / assault me.

Hopefully once he sees the light show he may think he's in over his head and retreat.

Pointed it up into the sky at night and could see the laser on the low hanging clouds (how many feet up ???) Haven't played with it in bright sun but it is VERY bright.

Raydon3000
08-22-2010, 11:16
Mine arrived here Friday, 8-20-10, and it is everything "12smile" says it is. I love it and was well worth the wait.

bentbiker
08-22-2010, 11:51
Mine arrived here Friday, 8-20-10, and it is everything "12smile" says it is. I love it and was well worth the wait.
I've never known anyone who didn't think their Viridian was fantastic out of the box. The real question is whether this new design solves problems with prior models (plural) after about 10 hours of usage -- turning on and off on their own (circuitry or switches?). Hope all you new owners keep us advised; I would love to hear they've solved the problem.

Raydon3000
08-22-2010, 12:04
I've never known anyone who didn't think their Viridian was fantastic out of the box. The real question is whether this new design solves problems with prior models (plural) after about 10 hours of usage -- turning on and off on their own (circuitry or switches?). Hope all you new owners keep us advised; I would love to hear they've solved the problem.

I'm not going to get to the range till later this week. I'll keep this thread updated as I put some use on this Viridian.

12smile
08-23-2010, 13:43
spoke to a local holster maker SGH side guard holsters and he's meeting w/ Viridian, also a local minneapolis company tomorrow to arrange for him to make holsters for them.

He's a member here, maybe an advertiser? he may be the best source for a custom holster.

the new C5L has a new switch. it's ambidexterous and that may be a big improvement over the X5L.

http://www.sideguardholsters.com/customer/highrider2.JPG

12smile
08-29-2010, 03:25
I got to carry the Glock 30 with the Viridian C5L at night a bit.

First I had to replace the battery...the one that came with the unit...they may somehow have less capacity than regular batteries??? even though it was a Duracell and was no where near it's exp date.

Got a $7 battery at Radio Shack and it's working fine.

At night the laser is large and bright at about 40 feet the laser is larger than a quarter. at 20 ft about the size of a dime at at 6 feet the diamater of a 22 bullet.

I REALLY like the flexibility of programming the several modes of laser / light combinations.

I am liking the laser continious and the flashing LED.

Having the LED shine in your eyes from 20 ft is very annoying and when set to strobe (the strobe rate is adjustable) is feels disorienting.

One effect is diminished night vision (for the viewer) and the strobing light can play with the operation of the eye's iris.

For $300 I'm satisfied that I've added a tool that will help avoid a fight and help de-escalate.

It's the Rattlesnake theory...the light show of strobing / blinding light and very strong and bright laser could wake up the perp to the fact that there's unpleaseant consquences ahead in the form of hot copper bullets.

Hank1215
09-16-2010, 21:58
12smile,

Are you having any problems with you C5L mounting firmly to your Glock 30?
No matter how much I tighten the front screw, the unit wiggles from side to side when I place any pressure on it. You can't tighten the front screw too tight because the C5L's rails just start to torque and bend inwards. I think just having the secure point that far up on the rails is causing the problem. Because of this, the unit can't hold a zero. This is frustrating since the X5L mounts very tight to my G21 and G22. I have seen a couple of other people complaining about this on the internet. I sent an email to Viridian, but no response.

Thanks

TACC GLOCK
09-16-2010, 22:06
spoke to a local holster maker SGH side guard holsters and he's meeting w/ Viridian, also a local minneapolis company tomorrow to arrange for him to make holsters for them.

He's a member here, maybe an advertiser? he may be the best source for a custom holster.

the new C5L has a new switch. it's ambidexterous and that may be a big improvement over the X5L.

http://www.sideguardholsters.com/customer/highrider2.JPG

12SMILE,

I had two concerns; one you just addressed with the holster. It is a nice nightstand gun with the C5L but I really want to carry it.

The other one is trying to find a place in South Florida to "play" with one to make sure it is what I want prior to purchasing one.

12smile
09-17-2010, 00:03
I'll check....nothing jumped out at me.

Ogie
09-17-2010, 13:17
12smile,

Are you having any problems with you C5L mounting firmly to your Glock 30?
No matter how much I tighten the front screw, the unit wiggles from side to side when I place any pressure on it. You can't tighten the front screw too tight because the C5L's rails just start to torque and bend inwards. I think just having the secure point that far up on the rails is causing the problem. Because of this, the unit can't hold a zero. This is frustrating since the X5L mounts very tight to my G21 and G22. I have seen a couple of other people complaining about this on the internet. I sent an email to Viridian, but no response.

Thanks

I'm curious about this myself. My friend has a Glock 19 and a Viridian X5L and it won't hold zero either. After that problem I decided to order a Surefire X400. I figure if that won't hold zero, at least I will have an excellent light. I currently have a Surefire X200 and that has been a great weapon light.

bentbiker
09-17-2010, 15:59
I'm curious about this myself. My friend has a Glock 19 and a Viridian X5L and it won't hold zero either.
Take a look at this thread: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1157569 . The problem that I believe your friend is seeing is the loose fit of Glock slides on their frames -- alignment of frame and slide are inconsistent. And you can't co-witness the iron sights and laser with an unloaded gun, and expect it to be close after you load it.

Ogie
09-17-2010, 18:09
Take a look at this thread: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1157569 . The problem that I believe your friend is seeing is the loose fit of Glock slides on their frames -- alignment of frame and slide are inconsistent. And you can't co-witness the iron sights and laser with an unloaded gun, and expect it to be close after you load it.

In other words don't ever take the laser/light off or it will not be zeroed when you put it back on? That seems rather crappy to me.

12smile
09-17-2010, 18:57
I have the light mounted but I have not fired the gun yet. I still need to to the first cleaning before taking it to the range for break in shooting.

I did however grab onto the light and I tried to wiggle it in a way that would throw off it's aim and it's on there pretty tight.

those interchangeable mounting arms are a little tricky...is it possible that you are not using the right set of arms? or maybe they're not seated or attached as tight as the should be...

mine appears to be satisfactory...call them they're in Minnesota....they have a lot of enthusiasm for this product.

also I see my use for the light laser within 15 feet.

bentbiker
09-17-2010, 20:28
In other words don't ever take the laser/light off or it will not be zeroed when you put it back on? That seems rather crappy to me.
Not sure how you concluded that from the thread. The point is that rail mounted lasers can be locked tight to the frame, but the frame is very loosely attached to the slide and barrel; try moving the slide from side to side as you hold the frame. My XL5 and GLK models went on and off with great consistency. The frames position relative to the slide, however, changed every time a cartridge cycled. The MGBL helped immensely. But both models failed, so alignment wasn't that important anymore.

Hank1215
09-17-2010, 20:56
I have the light mounted but I have not fired the gun yet. I still need to to the first cleaning before taking it to the range for break in shooting.

I did however grab onto the light and I tried to wiggle it in a way that would throw off it's aim and it's on there pretty tight.

those interchangeable mounting arms are a little tricky...is it possible that you are not using the right set of arms? or maybe they're not seated or attached as tight as the should be...

mine appears to be satisfactory...call them they're in Minnesota....they have a lot of enthusiasm for this product.

also I see my use for the light laser within 15 feet.

I am using the right rails to attach the C5L to my G30, it just will not stay solid like my X5L that has the set screw. I think because the rails are plastic and startes to torque inwards when you tighten the screw, it causes the C5L to come away a bit from the gun. Maybe if they made a rail that has the screw up front, and a set screw farther back it would keep it from wiggling.

Ogie
09-17-2010, 23:01
Not sure how you concluded that from the thread. The point is that rail mounted lasers can be locked tight to the frame, but the frame is very loosely attached to the slide and barrel; try moving the slide from side to side as you hold the frame. My XL5 and GLK models went on and off with great consistency. The frames position relative to the slide, however, changed every time a cartridge cycled. The MGBL helped immensely. But both models failed, so alignment wasn't that important anymore.

I would be happy to be wrong. I just wanted to know if you could repeatedly take the light/laser on and off and still maintain alignment.

TrueGunNut
09-18-2010, 08:32
the problem is with attaching it to glocks, not other plastic guns, right? hk, sig etc

Raydon3000
09-24-2010, 10:04
I finally got to the range to try out my C5L on my Glock. It became loose on the rails almost immediately. I didn't have a proper screwdriver with me so I just used the iron sights to get in the practice. As I was leaving I ran into the gunsmith that works at the range. I asked him to take a look at the C5L and, after he looked at it, he told me about the bowing problem on the rails that the above posts refer to. He suggested putting a sleeve on the mounting screw that would keep the mount from bowing out. He suggested going to Hobby Lobby to look for something I could use for a sleeve. I haven't got a chance to make the modification yet but when I do I will post the results.

TACC GLOCK
09-24-2010, 15:23
I finally got to the range to try out my C5L on my Glock. It became loose on the rails almost immediately. I didn't have a proper screwdriver with me so I just used the iron sights to get in the practice. As I was leaving I ran into the gunsmith that works at the range. I asked him to take a look at the C5L and, after he looked at it, he told me about the bowing problem on the rails that the above posts refer to. He suggested putting a sleeve on the mounting screw that would keep the mount from bowing out. He suggested going to Hobby Lobby to look for something I could use for a sleeve. I haven't got a chance to make the modification yet but when I do I will post the results.

Raydon,

I know I went to public school, and I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed but if this is brand new why does it not work correctly?

If you have to go and start "jurry - rigging" this to make it work I think they should change things when they manufacture it in the first place.

I mean you spend your hard earned money on something that does not work, especially if you will be using it some day in the future to save your life, that just does not seem right.

Raydon3000
09-24-2010, 20:54
Raydon,

I know I went to public school, and I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed but if this is brand new why does it not work correctly?

If you have to go and start "jurry - rigging" this to make it work I think they should change things when they manufacture it in the first place.

I mean you spend your hard earned money on something that does not work, especially if you will be using it some day in the future to save your life, that just does not seem right.

Are you suggesting that I call the company and if they are willing to listen, explain the problem and see if they have any solutions?

TACC GLOCK
09-25-2010, 17:07
Are you suggesting that I call the company and if they are willing to listen, explain the problem and see if they have any solutions?

Raydon,

At a minimum yes, I would hope that if Viridian had any kind of customer service, they would understand that through the internet their companies reputation can go one of two ways. I would also send an E-mail to back it up and additionally post what there response is to the problem, additionally mentioning in both the phone call and the internet that you are on a couple internet forums and that there are other people experiencing the same problem should let them see the light.

Companies like Dillon Precision make millions because of their "over the top" customer service, ask any competition shooter.

If they actually care about there product they will make it right.

I personally am in the process of looking at a laser / light solution for my firearms, just as 5 other people are that shot with me this morning at a match. At this point I will not be purchasing this product until it is corrected. Viridian needs to know this. The economy is very tight right now, for a person to dump a couple of hundred dollars on a product is not a light hearted decision.

bentbiker
09-25-2010, 19:37
As I was leaving I ran into the gunsmith that works at the range . . . he told me about the bowing problem on the rails . . . He suggested putting a sleeve on the mounting screw that would keep the mount from bowing out. He suggested going to Hobby Lobby to look for something I could use for a sleeve.What kind of a 'smith sends you to a hobby shop to fix it yourself. Or does he only work on the guns owned by the range?

Raydon3000
09-26-2010, 10:56
What kind of a 'smith sends you to a hobby shop to fix it yourself. Or does he only work on the guns owned by the range?

He said I would have to leave the gun and the laser for him to work on them and I didn't want to leave them. It sounded like an easy fix and I was going to look in to it.

Raydon3000
01-25-2011, 18:31
Raydon,

At a minimum yes, I would hope that if Viridian had any kind of customer service, they would understand that through the internet their companies reputation can go one of two ways. I would also send an E-mail to back it up and additionally post what there response is to the problem, additionally mentioning in both the phone call and the internet that you are on a couple internet forums and that there are other people experiencing the same problem should let them see the light.

Companies like Dillon Precision make millions because of their "over the top" customer service, ask any competition shooter.

If they actually care about there product they will make it right.

I personally am in the process of looking at a laser / light solution for my firearms, just as 5 other people are that shot with me this morning at a match. At this point I will not be purchasing this product until it is corrected. Viridian needs to know this. The economy is very tight right now, for a person to dump a couple of hundred dollars on a product is not a light hearted decision.

I finally got around to calling and e-mailing Viridian, told the tech on the phone about the problem and that I wasn't the only one having it. He e-mailed me a shipping label and I sent my laser off this afternoon. I'll let you know what happens.

bentbiker
01-25-2011, 23:01
I finally got around to calling and e-mailing Viridian, told the tech on the phone about the problem and that I wasn't the only one having it. He e-mailed me a shipping label and I sent my laser off this afternoon. I'll let you know what happens.
So, does that mean the "sleeve" concept of the 'smith didn't work, or were you unable to try it?

Raydon3000
01-26-2011, 06:04
So, does that mean the "sleeve" concept of the 'smith didn't work, or were you unable to try it?

I didn't try it. I didn't want to modify the gun so I followed the advice from TACC GLOCK. Viridian has my laser now, let's see what they come up with. I'll post more info when I have it.

dagwag77
01-29-2011, 23:21
Got my c5l yesterday and the light doesn't seem to be working. The laser works fine, and cycles through the 6 or so modes but none with the light work! Every once in a while the light blips on for a half a second then turns off. Tried brand new batteries, and been fiddling with the button(s) for hours. Guess I'm calling Viridian on Mon AM but its a big downer. Makes me miss the button set up of the x5l.

Raydon3000
01-31-2011, 15:45
Got my c5l yesterday and the light doesn't seem to be working. The laser works fine, and cycles through the 6 or so modes but none with the light work! Every once in a while the light blips on for a half a second then turns off. Tried brand new batteries, and been fiddling with the button(s) for hours. Guess I'm calling Viridian on Mon AM but its a big downer. Makes me miss the button set up of the x5l.

I never had that problem. Hope you have good luck with Viridian. I haven't heard anything back from Viridian on my C5L that they have. I will post more when I know it.

RayB
02-01-2011, 13:53
Viridian clearly needs more R&D time, and quality control needs to be addressed as well... :sigh:

But from all accounts, the company's a class act, and ultimately, they wiil take care of you, even if that involves a full refund. ;)

--Ray

dagwag77
02-01-2011, 21:29
I never had that problem. Hope you have good luck with Viridian. I haven't heard anything back from Viridian on my C5L that they have. I will post more when I know it.

Mines on its way back now. They were nothing but polite and apologetic for it not working properly right out of the box and paid for the return shipping. So far, customer service is top notch. They said it may be a faulty board. We'll see...

tehama
04-28-2011, 20:26
Hi guys. Has either of the people who sent their C5L into Viridian and received it back noticed any change in operation for the better? Would love to know if what you'd experienced was a fluke or was able to be worked out.

Thanks

dagwag77
04-29-2011, 09:40
Hi guys. Has either of the people who sent their C5L into Viridian and received it back noticed any change in operation for the better? Would love to know if what you'd experienced was a fluke or was able to be worked out.

Thanks

I think they fixed mine as opposed to replaced it. I don't know what exactly they did, but it works 100% now. Haven't had a single problem with it, and I'm happy with it, as well as happy with Viridian's customer service. They sent a hat and some other goodies in the box with the warranty return, and called to say it was sent out. Very pleasant to deal with.

tehama
04-29-2011, 17:19
That's good to hear. Thinking about placing an order for one for my G30 SF soon and wanted to see how things had worked out regarding posts in this thread first.