PM9 info [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : PM9 info

Red1965
06-08-2010, 11:23
Hello to all! First time posting on Glock Talk and I have a few questions about a Kahr PM9. (And yes I own 3 Glocks..lol) I bought a used PM9 in the Black Diamond finish a few weeks ago and on the first trip to the range the weapon jammed horribly and after a few rounds stopped firing at all. The slide was hard to retract to clear the weapon and things were just a general mess. I was terribly disapointed and knowing I would not really have any option but to send it back to the factory, I made the call to customer service. They said they would look at it, but I would have to pay for any repairs. I shipped it off and the firearm returned about a week later. The service dept. found a peening problem and replaced the slide, barrel, and recoil spring all free of charge (Thank You to Kahr). I viewed the stickys here about the peening and my question is...will this happen again? I have not fired the weapon since its return, but hope to try it out this week. The only other things that I hve done to the PM is replace the mag springs with some Wolf extra power springs and I did add a Pearce extenision to the 6 rounder. I am spoiled by the bullet proof performance of my Glocks and this little Kahr has me worried. I really want to use this gun as a backup and sometime primary carry gun, but I just dont have the confidence in it as yet. Any opinions, info, advice, or just general war stories about this firearm will be helpful. I am also looking at what loads work well. I usually use Blazer hardball for practice and Corbon 115 hollowpoints for carry in the Glock 9mm's, but I have purchased some of the Winchester Bonded to try.
Thanks for any help!

G26ster
06-08-2010, 11:47
This is one of the most active and helpful Kahr PM forums on the web. Lots of great info here. They can answer any questions. My PM9 was reliable from day one. I sold it for a lighter weight pocket gun, but it was a great shooter.

http://kahrtalk.com/pm-series-pistols/

Denied
06-08-2010, 12:09
PM 9s for the most part have been very dependable, I would run 200 rounds through it before making any judgment or decisions. They are very tight and need the break in to smooth out

Linux3
06-08-2010, 18:49
Basically you have a new Kahr and kahr says to run 200 rounds through it to break it in.
I would do that.
Also, Kahr's like to be a little juicy with the gun lube.
Link to a diagram.
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398500

My PM9 is my most common carry.

alnitak
06-09-2010, 12:05
Once Kahr replaced the barrel, peening problems should not recur. That was a problem with the early models, serial VAxxxx and some VBxxxx. They redisigned the barrel (a bit) and I believe changed the manufacturer. The new barrels seem to have fixed the issue.

I agree with the above poster...treat it like a new gun, put a couple hundred round through it, don't limp wrist it and you should be good to go.

Linux3
06-09-2010, 13:00
As I sit here with my VD series PM9 on my hip, I almost forget about it till I read this thread. It's a cold rainy day and I could even carry my M&P 9 Pro under all the outer layers I had on to run around getting things done.
The PM9 use to be my warm day light clothing carry but for some strange reason it's now my EDC.
I've put maybe 3000 rounds through it. I practice with it at least 2x a month and it never fails and I find it easy to carry and comforting.

alnitak
06-09-2010, 14:22
Mine is a VD series as well, and has been flawless since the day I purchased. I have more than 1500 rounds down-range through it, and not one failure.

user
06-10-2010, 05:04
Let me confirm the suggestions by others to go through the break-in period before worring too much about problems - that gun is made to exacting tolerances, unlike the Glocks you're familiar with, and which are designed to be dropped in the mud, sand, and salt-marsh, and then fired. The parts in the Kahr have to work together to wear each other down for proper function, but without that break-in period, things may still be too tight in places.

Jdog
06-10-2010, 10:04
All PM9's were not created equal. Buying a used PM9 without researching it is scary.... you need to look at the Kahr serial # range posted in this kahr forum. There were certain serial # ranges that had huge problems... or rather there's certain serial# ranges (usually the newer ones made recently) that were not lemons.

jmack37
06-10-2010, 13:57
I would NEVER buy a used PM series pistol without trying it out first. My PM9 has been flawless since purchased new. I suspect you bought someone else's problem gun.

FWIW, Kahr seemed to have solved some of the earlier teething problems.

Jake

Red1965
06-10-2010, 14:06
Jdog and Jmack,
Kahr did replace the whole top half of the gun. In your opinions, will this solve the problems? As I bought the gun from a gun dealership, I was not able to testfire it before purchase. One of the employees said he had shot it quite a bit and was considering purchasing it for himself. Now I was born at night but not last night, so I know that could have been just his version of the "sales pitch". I have been dealing with firearms for almost 30 years and this is the first time I have ever been "burned" on a firearm. I have not yet fired the weapon since its return from the factory and will know more about its performance when I do so. I was just wondering if the corrections that Kahr makes on these pistols solves the problem or are they lemons for life.

Jdog
06-10-2010, 23:07
all you can do for now is go off of what kahr did at the factory for you. Is there peening on top of the bbl just before it meets the slide? or did kahr replace that? Have you also considered polishing the feedramp?

give it a go and let us know. If it still sucks... I'd cut my losses & trade it in towards a new one. New ones rock.

Red1965
06-11-2010, 09:45
To answeryour question Jdog, the whole top half of the weapon was replaced. I made it out yesterday to the range and the PM fired 100 rounds of Blazer hardball without a glitch. The only problem I had (and it was my error) was the magazine dropped out a few times. During recoil, I was sometimes hitting the mag release letting the magazine slip out. I changed my grip slightly and the gun ran flawlessly. I shot it at 15 yards at a 6 inch paper plate and had only 2 shots fall outside of it (my error also). I stopped at 100 rounds due to the fact my hand was getting a little tired, and I had a few other guns I needed to shoot. I was very pleased with the performance of the Kahr. I really hope that all the problems are fixed because this little gun really appeals to me. It is much easier to shoot quickly and accurately than my Airweight J frame. was very impressed with the trigger. As for polishing the feed ramp, I really don't think there is much more I could do to slick it up. It has a mirror finish on it now and thats they way it was returned from the factory. I plan on running another 100 rounds thru it from break in, and then a couple of boxes of my carry load before putting it into service as a carry gun.

07hemi4me
06-18-2010, 19:07
To answeryour question Jdog, the whole top half of the weapon was replaced. I made it out yesterday to the range and the PM fired 100 rounds of Blazer hardball without a glitch. The only problem I had (and it was my error) was the magazine dropped out a few times. During recoil, I was sometimes hitting the mag release letting the magazine slip out. I changed my grip slightly and the gun ran flawlessly. I shot it at 15 yards at a 6 inch paper plate and had only 2 shots fall outside of it (my error also). I stopped at 100 rounds due to the fact my hand was getting a little tired, and I had a few other guns I needed to shoot. I was very pleased with the performance of the Kahr. I really hope that all the problems are fixed because this little gun really appeals to me. It is much easier to shoot quickly and accurately than my Airweight J frame. was very impressed with the trigger. As for polishing the feed ramp, I really don't think there is much more I could do to slick it up. It has a mirror finish on it now and thats they way it was returned from the factory. I plan on running another 100 rounds thru it from break in, and then a couple of boxes of my carry load before putting it into service as a carry gun.

I had to send my P45 back to Kahr, since its returned I have put over 700 rds thru it with NO problems.

It is now my EDC.