XS Sight systems .. anybody? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : XS Sight systems .. anybody?

team9x19
06-08-2010, 13:41
hey there, i have a rem. 870 for HD (the all black with factory mag tube ext.), all i have on it now is a hogue tamer pistol grip. i am going to add a mesa tactical shot shell carrier; however, i was curious to know if anyone uses the xs sight systems big dot tritium front site (can be seen at brownells here (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=24532/Product/SHOTGUN_BIG_DOT_TRITIUM_FRONT_SIGHT)).

if you have them, how do you like it? how does it glow, how long does it last? does the sight itself stay mounted (as it is applied with epoxy over the existing bead on the remington 870).

thanks!

Troy106
06-08-2010, 19:12
I like them better than the stock one

aippi
06-08-2010, 19:43
They are designed to epoxy over the existing pedestal ramp and bead of your barrel, or on to the vent rib. You have to get one designed for your barrel. They are brighter then I like so use the Meprolight bead. How ever, I have I have installed many of them.

I use Loc-tite black max adhesive. I put the sight over the bead and trace it with a pencil. I then remove and scrape away the finish on the pedestal with in the pencil lines. I then sand the finish off the base of the sight. This way I am bonding metal to metal and not finish to finish. I set the sight on, line it up and clamp it. Black Max sets fast but I still leave the clamp on over night.

I have yet to have one come off and many of these go on LEO duty weapons and those weapons take a lot of abuse, in and out car racks and other heavy use.

They are warrantied to glow for 15 years. Have not had one on a weapon long enough to know if that is correct.

team9x19
06-08-2010, 23:42
does mepro have a set up where you mount their site over the existing remington bead?
that's why i like the xs set up. if i get one i don't think i'll the finish and such, just incase i decide to remove it -- don't want to have to worry more about rust and a sanded finish ya know?

thanks.

aippi
06-09-2010, 00:32
No, you would have to cut the pressed bead off then drill and tap for the Meprolight. No matter how you install the XS it will not come off with out damage to the factory ramp and bead.

My weapons have the Remington 18.5" factory barrel. It comes factory parkerized with the meprolight tritium bead and is a fixed modified choke.

team9x19
06-09-2010, 00:47
i getcha, thanks for the help!

GPalmer
06-09-2010, 22:28
I have one. I'm not real impressed. The back ghost ring I have is black and so is the ring on the XS sight so in low light situations you wind up with a bright dot with no way to accurately line up the back ring. Highly unrecommended.

team9x19
06-10-2010, 11:34
^good to know. all i'm really looking for is just a tritium bead to replace the front bead of my 870 without spending too much money and such.

Troy106
06-10-2010, 17:48
No, you would have to cut the pressed bead off then drill and tap for the Meprolight. No matter how you install the XS it will not come off with out damage to the factory ramp and bead.

My weapons have the Remington 18.5" factory barrel. It comes factory parkerized with the meprolight tritium bead and is a fixed modified choke.

Thanks for the info

David Armstrong
06-10-2010, 23:21
I've got the original XS sights on my Beretta 1201, and by "original" I mean the 2nd set made By Ashgley Emerson and put on by him. So that was before the "Big Dot" and the tritium stuff. Having said that, of all the sighting systems available for a shotgun if I was going to put one on it would be an XS. I find it better than ghost rings, rifle sights, and so on.

edlacy
06-11-2010, 00:39
I purchased an 870 HD from aippi with an XS Big Dot.
It's better than any other sight I've used on a shotgun.
You'd have to be blind to not see this sight.
Highly recommend it.

B Coyote
06-11-2010, 01:38
XS Sights (Big Dots or Express) and shotguns go together like clubs and baby seals.

If I ever hit the lottery, I'm donating enough XS Express sights to outfit my entire department's 870's. They're really that good.

bc

team9x19
06-11-2010, 11:50
hmm i might have to get one, considering i don't want to pull the exising bead out, although i don't want the epoxy or loc-tite to strip the finish on the barrel.

Mofeen
06-13-2010, 11:32
I just got one on my 870 TAC-2. The epoxy is real easy. I called XS and they recommended the standard JB Weld that can be had at most hard ware stores. It was really easy to epoxy and there was no mess.

As far as the sight itself, it is not the brightest I have seen, but it is much better than the stock bead. The white ring around the Tritium makes the sight very easy to acquire. The good thing is, I dont really plan on removing the sight when the Tritium is done, because it really isnt all that useful anyway, like it is on a handgun.

I recommend. $68 dollars shipped from XS. Good deal.

aippi
06-13-2010, 11:50
I should have mentioned that the finish on the ramp is not the issue as the design of the Big Dot allows for it to slip over your bead. The adhesive then fills in around the bead. This thing is not coming off easy and if you take it off you could damage the pressed in bead. Someone here may know a way to get one off. The only idea I have is to place the barrel in a vice, take a punch and break the seal at the base of the Big Dot. Then place vise grips on the sight, twist it and break the seal around the bead and pull the sight off.

I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has taken one off without damage and how they did it. I know the time is comming when a weapon comes in for refinishing with one on it and I don't want it going in a 200 degree park tank, or the guy wants it off, say to intall the Trijicons or something.

Another reason I use the factory installed Meprolight. They are drilled and tapped and screw out. I can get rid of it or change it.