Need advice again on G36 guys [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need advice again on G36 guys

CanyonMan
06-08-2010, 16:09
Ok, after shooting 200 rounds today, and excellent accuracy, and 100% performance from all kinds of ammo, I get home and clean the G36 and notice this stuff in the nose of the slide on each side of the front sight nut. Pictures are with cell phone and in a hard place to reach, but you should see them well.

Little gouges on both sides of the nut 4-5 lines on each side. I can ot tell you if they were there before I shot or not. There is NO damage to the barrel or any part of the gun. This (for me is completely not good) although the gun does function and shot almost better than any gun I got.

Can you boys WHO OWN THEM, Please pull your slide/barrels out and look really good in this same area and see if you have these gouge marks, like little knife blade cuts, on each side of the nut.

Reffer to the pics here as you are checking.

I would appreciate it very much guys. Nothing else to say, all was perfecto to the max, and the barrel looks 100% just these gouge lines in the area in the pics.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/6339/0608001628.jpg

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/4774/0608001629.jpg

Thanks for helpin me out if ya can...

CanyonMan

Free Radical
06-08-2010, 16:37
Howdy Canyon Man. Those are pretty good pictures for a cell phone camera. As per your request I had a look at my G36.
At first I did not see anything similar, but I took it out in the sunlight with a good magnifying glass (tired old eyes).... and yes, though not as distinct as yours, there are some small, similar lines. Not as deep or obvious. When you work the action on the slide you will note that no moving part contacts this area. I'm thinking those are marks from the machining process that were not polished out.
Keep an eye on it.

CanyonMan
06-08-2010, 19:11
Howdy Canyon Man. Those are pretty good pictures for a cell phone camera. As per your request I had a look at my G36.
At first I did not see anything similar, but I took it out in the sunlight with a good magnifying glass (tired old eyes).... and yes, though not as distinct as yours, there are some small, similar lines. Not as deep or obvious. When you work the action on the slide you will note that no moving part contacts this area. I'm thinking those are marks from the machining process that were not polished out.
Keep an eye on it.

Hey thanks a lot amigo. I investigated further on this slide, and yeh it is without a doubt a machine tool problem. If they do not change out their routers they way they should they (like any cutting tool) will get dull. Obviously when they came out of my slide the router "chatterd," and left thes horrible looking deep cuts. You correct in the fact that nothing is in contact with this concave area, and there really is no pressure per se' on this area of the slide. I sent the pics to Glock and also called and left a phone message with fred to look at the pics and call me in the morning. If they tell me "wont ever hurt a thing, I'll still be ticked off, cause that should not be in my gun, it should not have passed QC IMO. I would not sell a horse to someone with a bad leg, or even a split hoof for that matter !

Well, we'll see what they say tomorrow. Man the things eats every type of ammo I had here at the house (a bunch) without a hitch, and is actually one of the most accurate guns I own. So I would hate to start all over with another one. I'll post their answer probably tomorrow.

Thanks my friend for takin the time to do all that and help me out. Greatly appreciated hoss ! ;)

Stay safe out there !

CM

G27Chief
06-08-2010, 20:46
Hey Canyon, I don't have those. Mine is a M series.

CanyonMan
06-09-2010, 08:11
Thanks Chief. I appreciate you lookin for me. I will hear from Glock today and let y'all know what is what..

Thanks again

CM

CanyonMan
06-09-2010, 08:38
Offical word in from Glock on the phone with me this morning concerning the gouges in the slide....

"they are tool marks sir, and should never cause you any problem what soever!"

That was it !

SO, I reckon I keep it, shoot it, and forget it. At least I have it on record for what that is worth.

Thanks again guys!

CM

Free Radical
06-09-2010, 08:47
As much as I admire the reliability and accuracy of my Glock pistols I have never raved about the overall quality.
Bottom line, they are a mass produced, relatively inexpensive hand gun. Good at what they do, but certainly no standard of excellence.

CanyonMan
06-09-2010, 09:27
As much as I admire the reliability and accuracy of my Glock pistols I have never raved about the overall quality.
Bottom line, they are a mass produced, relatively inexpensive hand gun. Good at what they do, but certainly no standard of excellence.

Amen !

This should have never got out the door. Now I just have to not think about it or worry about it i guess.... Pretty strong thick hunk of steel in that area, I doubt it would ever be a problem, just bugs me.

Stay Safe.

CM

tuica
06-10-2010, 12:24
It would probably bother me also - for a time. But that's part of life, eh? It will not effect function, and it is on the inside. I will check my G36 later for same. Good Luck

G27Chief
06-10-2010, 19:18

I concur, however I personally have only ever had one issue with a Glock. The 21SF with the ambidextrous magazine release. I was very disappointed in the quality control, design, and implementation of such an important aspect of this excellent .45ACP workhorse.

Glocks are not show-horses, never have beenthey are a tool. We expect the well engineered handgun Gaston built that changed the pistol market forever. Their main selling points were then and are durability, polymer frame, simplistic design, and with a celebrated imperviousness to the elements. Mass production and changes to compete in the market have cause them many issues that have been well documented here on GT. They have however done an excellent job on recognizing the issues and implementing corrective actions.

A technician at Glock, listened to my problem and admitted there had been some issues. He offered to send out some new parts that I will install, and if that does not work, return it for a frame swap.

I personally believe in the 8 Glocks I own more than any other pistol in my collection. As an armorer I have seen more problems with self customization and add-on's than a factory issues. Some people just have to stick on, any or all accessories out there because it is cool. I saw a 19 not long ago that looked like something out oif a sci-fi movie. He complained it did not fit any holster he had bought for it. I am sure my face showed my true feelings which due to the family enviroment of GT, I will not reveal.

ScEd
06-11-2010, 05:10
Ive had my G36 for nine years and fired thousands of rounds thru it. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to look or not.

saltydog452
06-11-2010, 07:31
G36 rookie does not have any chatter marks either. I don't know what a 'M' Series is. My serial number prefix is DBZ.

CanyonMan
06-11-2010, 18:00
Ive had my G36 for nine years and fired thousands of rounds thru it. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to look or not.

:rofl:

Go ahead man, your past the point of having a problem or you would have had it by now ! ;)

CM

Singlestack Wonder
06-12-2010, 10:31

Great at what they do...built for battle conditions and ultimate reliability.

OMEGA5
06-13-2010, 10:42
Mine has it but not as bad. Just looks like mill marks is all.
Danno :harley:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/omega5m14/DailyCarryxxx004.jpg

CanyonMan
06-13-2010, 16:01
Thanks again guys. i went to a gun show over the weekend, and looked at a couple tere, and one was as bad as mine. They are "chatter marks' from were the router was pulled out during the drill process, and the router is dull. Looks like QC in Glocks are really slipping. I found several other problems as well with the QC.

NOT PERFECTION ! If your going to claim perfection (big statement) then it ought to be perfect... Nothing is, so they really need to drop the logo. ;)

Any way mine shoots little bitty groups in rapid fire 7 yds, and even out to 35/40 yards it is shooting very well, and I know it will out to 50 and 100 as well. All my other Glocks and calibers do.

Thanks again fellas, all is resloved !

CM