How Many Browsers Do You Need? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How Many Browsers Do You Need?

duncan
06-08-2010, 23:35
I just picked up an ASUS netbook with W7 starter installed.

Has IE.

I use Opera mainly and like Firefox and could consider Chrome.

Any one just shoot IE in the head and uninstall that darn thing completely?

Or just leave it and set up Opera as the default?

kc8ykd
06-08-2010, 23:41
I leave IE installed so I can download FireFox, and only run IE when i do certain tasks that require separate browser sessions. (wooting with 2 accounts)

I haven't played with Opera in many years, I think i just never got into it since you had to pay for it back in the day (dunno if that's still the case or not)

I was just playing around with Chrome on my laptop a little bit and discovered it uses about 320mb to open 11 tabs, where FFX on the same machine only uses about 250mb for the same 11 tabs :( (that's only running the adblock plus extension in Chrome and adblock+silverlight+search helper in FFX)

IndyGunFreak
06-08-2010, 23:49
I just picked up an ASUS netbook with W7 starter installed.

Has IE.

I use Opera mainly and like Firefox and could consider Chrome.

Any one just shoot IE in the head and uninstall that darn thing completely?

Or just leave it and set up Opera as the default?

Don't know about w/ 7, but w/ previous versions of Windows.. uninstalling IE was a massive headache, if it even worked...

I'd just leave it there.. it won't kill you.

duncan
06-09-2010, 00:19
Thanks I leave it.

Dean22
06-09-2010, 07:44
Yep, I do the same thing as kc8ykd, I use firefox for all my normal browsing and IE when I need to use another account on the same site...mostly for gmail.

CitizenOfDreams
06-09-2010, 08:16
I never used anything other than IE. Mind you, I use non-Microsoft programs for everything else (CD burner, media player, file manager, web/FTP server...), but IE is working perfectly fine as a browser.

shotgunred
06-11-2010, 16:31
Try to uninstall IE. It will keep reinstalling itself. I spent several days trying to get rid of it. Microsoft keeps copies of it hidden at several different spots. Also you can't get WINDOWS updates without IE. You are stuck with it on your computer! Just don't use it for anything but updating.

Sgt. Schultz
06-11-2010, 18:37
Try to uninstall IE. It will keep reinstalling itself. I spent several days trying to get rid of it. Microsoft keeps copies of it hidden at several different spots. Also you can't get WINDOWS updates without IE. You are stuck with it on your computer! Just don't use it for anything but updating.

M$ does provide ways to remove IE explorer from XP and Vista and the removal option is built into Windows 7, also you can get a European (English language) version of Windows because it doesn't come with IE installed.

As for updating windows, you have several options other then IE:

... there are several add-ons available for Firefox that will allow you to download Windows updates.

... you can manually download all of the updates from several non - M$ sites.

duncan
06-11-2010, 23:55
Thanks all.

Went with Firefox for the zoom and speed dial features.

den888
06-12-2010, 00:39
I like Firefox and Chrome.

AZBADBOY
06-12-2010, 11:05
Been using Chrome since the real version came out. Tried the beta back when it first hit the market and it was horrible. Now it ROCKS! Have a 64 bit machine which is almost useless since I never use IE64. Chrome is at the minimum twice as fast as IE and very trimmed down.

faber
06-13-2010, 16:51
i tried to uninstall ie once; it screwed up something.
i only use firefox.

Dean22
06-13-2010, 17:46
i tried to uninstall ie once; it screwed up something.
i only use firefox.

Could be wrong but I think that's because it's used when navigating through your computer files.

faber
06-13-2010, 17:47
^may be the reason why....good theory in the least.
i wont uninstall it again for sure.

thorn137
06-14-2010, 10:04
I'm not much of a browser enthusiast... once I find one that works, I stop shopping around and dont even pay attention when there's some new thing out there.

I use Firefox nearly all the time. I keep Explorer loaded for those rare occasions it's required by some other application. Tried Chrome for 5 mins, and found no reason to use it instead of the others. Never tried Opera or Safari, don't intend to - nothing wrong with my Firefox experience, so why bother?

thorn

burthouse
06-16-2010, 18:55
I've been using opera for awhile I like it the mouse gestures are the best. The only thing I don't like is the fact it doesn't keep me logged into GT and a local forum even though it's suppose to.