USB Booting Problems - UNR 10.4 on Netbook [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : USB Booting Problems - UNR 10.4 on Netbook

duncan
06-09-2010, 01:39
I have made a USB bootable USB drive for my ASUS netbook.

See it has Ubuntu Netbook Remix and Wubi.

changed booting order for removable devices but no action.

do I need to install wubi or some other exe off of that USB first to make it bootable?

Lost here:shocked:

IndyGunFreak
06-09-2010, 06:43
How did you make it?

If you're doing a wubi install, you shouldn't need to burn a CD/make a thumb drive at all. Not how I would do it, but to each their own.

How did you put the ISO on the thumb drive?

IGF

GIockGuy24
06-09-2010, 07:20
I think Wubi is to use a Windows file system. You shouldn't need that for a Linux USB drive. There are several ways to make a Linux USB drive and some depend on how large a drive it is.

The most common is to make a bootable CD image on the USB drive. The CD image is compressed. If the USB drive is used as a standard hard drive, the OS would take up about three times the space of the CD on the USB drive. The other thing that helps either method is to add a Linux swap partition on the USB drive, which will allow either the CD image or hard drive install method to run faster.

There is some info here on using the CD image method.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

GIockGuy24
06-09-2010, 07:25
Most netbooks (and some notebooks) can boot from the flash card reader. You can use a flash card such as an SD card instead of a USB drive. You can also use a USB hard drive.

Oh here are some newer instructions for 10.04.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/put-ubuntu-netbook-remix-10-04-on-flash-drive-in-windows/

GIockGuy24
06-09-2010, 07:35
Ubuntu's Live USB Disk Creator utility

http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/11/12/create-a-bootable-usb-drive-the-easy-way-in-ubuntu-810/

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Some good info here

http://www.pathikshah.com/blog/how-to-install-ubuntu-10-04-on-your-netbook/

Linux3
06-09-2010, 08:16
I have made a USB bootable USB drive for my ASUS netbook.
See it has Ubuntu Netbook Remix and Wubi.
changed booting order for removable devices but no action.
do I need to install wubi or some other exe off of that USB first to make it bootable?
Lost here:shocked:
I bought an Asus 1005HAB a couple of weeks ago, cheap because it had XP. No biggie, I planned to wipe and install UNE anyway.
Your problem was driving me nuts too. I didn't see any help anywhere.

OK, the USB is a hard drive as far as your system is concerned. Boot the computer with the USB stick installed. Most important!
Go into the bios. Press F2 on POST.
Go to Boot.
OK, you did this to change the boot order but remember, the USB is a Hard Drive as far as the Asus is concerned.
Just under "Boot Device Priority", if you have the USB drive plugged in is a new heading.
Wait, I'm booting my Asus to get the wording correct.
"Hard Disk Drives"
Select that and move the USB drive to the first Drive.
Save changes and boot.
Now the system will boot from the USB drive.
Don't worry, when you install the system the real hard drive will still be seen as /dev/sda/
Finish you install.
Power down.
Remove the USB drive.
Power back up.
If you look at the bios again, no reason to. The "Hard Drisk Drives" setting will be gone. Provided you have removed the USB device.

Tada!!

duncan
06-09-2010, 22:14
Most netbooks (and some notebooks) can boot from the flash card reader. You can use a flash card such as an SD card instead of a USB drive. You can also use a USB hard drive.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/put-ubuntu-netbook-remix-10-04-on-flash-drive-in-windows/

I used that website to show me how to make the installer and UNR on the same USB stick.

Have Wubi on my USB.
and the installer stated the usb was completed?

duncan
06-09-2010, 22:17
I bought an Asus 1005HAB a couple of weeks ago, cheap because it had XP. No biggie, I planned to wipe and install UNE anyway.

OK, the USB is a hard drive as far as your system is concerned. Boot the computer with the USB stick installed. Most important!
Go to Boot.
OK, you did this to change the boot order but remember, the USB is a Hard Drive as far as the Asus is concerned.
Just under "Boot Device Priority", if you have the USB drive plugged in is a new heading.
"Hard Disk Drives"
Save changes and boot.
Don't worry, when you install the system the real hard drive will still be seen as /dev/sda/
Finish you install.
Power down.
Remove the USB drive.
Power back up.
If you look at the bios again, no reason to. The "Hard Drisk Drives" setting will be gone. Provided you have removed the USB device.

Tada!!

I'm just trying to create a bootable USB or an SD card?

Any software that will do that?

Used the wrong one obviously.

Linux3
06-10-2010, 06:17
If you are running Linux and the Gnome Desktop:
1) apt-get install usb-creator-gtk
Note: This is a boot device creator. usb-creator-kde if you use the KDE window manager.
2) D/L UNE .iso file or whatever version you want to install.
3) Run usb-creator-gtk.
In the Source box select the .iso file
4) In the output Select the device be it usb or sd card.

GIockGuy24
06-10-2010, 14:40
..v..

GIockGuy24
06-10-2010, 14:56
The instructions here look fairly easy. The "download torrent" is just the iso image of the CD. You don't have to download it using a torrent. Just download the CD iso image.

IndyGunFreak
06-10-2010, 15:15

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

duncan
06-11-2010, 10:22

Go to Boot.
"Hard Disk Drives"
Save changes and boot.
Finish you install.
Power down.
Remove the USB drive.
Power back up.

Tada!!

I used unetbootin to create a bootable 4G SD flash card. That way I keep my USB ports open.

Went through the setup in BOIS listing removable drives as first in priority.

But I still need to removed the SD card if I want Win 7 to boot correct?

Otherwise, it seems I have to go in and out of the BIOS to boot via USB ?

duncan
06-11-2010, 10:23

See my question below. Did it!

IndyGunFreak
06-11-2010, 10:30
I used unetbootin to create a bootable 4G SD flash card. That way I keep my USB ports open.

Went through the setup in BOIS listing removable drives as first in priority.

But I still need to removed the SD card if I want Win 7 to boot correct?

Otherwise, it seems I have to go in and out of the BIOS to boot via USB ?

*Most* laptops/netbooks that are a bit newer, you don't really have to change the BIOS to boot a different device... When you boot your netbook, watch the boot screen and look for a message something like "Press ... to select boot device" I know on my AA1, it's F8. After I hit F8, a menu comes up, and I simply choose the device I want to boot. I leave the hard drive "First" in the BIOS, so if I boot the netbook, and don't hit F8, it just boots the hard drive and continues on to my OS.

As for your boot sequence... If the SSD card is in the slot, and it's first in the boot sequence, and has a bootable Image/OS on it.. then yes it will boot. I'm assuming since you used Unetbootin, it's only a "Live CD" that is on the SD card... so what you could also do... When the SD card boots, you should get a menu asking you what you want to do, I believe one of the options is "Boot from hard drive".. select that, and it will boot the hard drive.

IGF

GIockGuy24
06-11-2010, 10:49
I have a few systems on SD card. Some on MicroSD cards. I have one on a notebook USB hard drive. It runs plenty fast enough. The USB hard drive system is a full Linux install, not a live CD type. Depending how big an SD card, you can format the SD card and add a Linux swap partition when partitioning the card. The booted live system will recognize it and use it. It will run faster than not having a Linux Swap partition. This would require reinstalling the live system on the card though. It also requires running a separate Live CD to format and partition the card with Linux partitions.

Linux3
06-11-2010, 14:18
*Most* laptops/netbooks that are a bit newer, you don't really have to change the BIOS to boot a different device... When you boot your netbook, watch the boot screen and look for a message something like "Press ... to select boot device" I know on my AA1, it's F8. After I hit F8, a menu comes up, and I simply choose the device I want to boot. I leave the hard drive "First" in the BIOS, so if I boot the netbook, and don't hit F8, it just boots the hard drive and continues on to my OS.
IGF
My Thinkpad is F12 to select boot device.
The Asus has no such option. The BIOS is the only way.

GIockGuy24
06-11-2010, 17:13
My Thinkpad is F12 to select boot device.
The Asus has no such option. The BIOS is the only way.

On most netbooks press F11 on start up to enter the quick boot menu and select the card reader. USB or what ever boot device you want. I don't remember exactly how enter the quick boot menu on an Asus though.

Oh I see Asus has a "boot booster" that needs to be switched off.

http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic/3954/asus-eee-pc-1005ha-crunchbang-installation-guide/

The fast way around the "boot booster" is to f2 into bios and then hit f10 without bios change, On reboot the esc boot hotkey will now work.