What's it costing you to reload .45ACP now? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What's it costing you to reload .45ACP now?

cowboy1964
06-10-2010, 00:31
I'm getting into handloading and am starting to order components. I've found FMJ 230gr bullets for around 12.75 cents going up to 15 cents or so. Lead runs almost half that, but I will be shooting these from Glocks so I figure it would take a long time to recoup the cost of an aftermarket barrel so I'm figuring just using FMJ bullets for now. Primers seem to run about 3 to 3.5 cents. Haven't figured powder costs yet so I'm estimating 2 cents (is that a good guestimate?)

So total should be 18-20 cents per round. Does that sound reasonable? I already have brass so I'm not including that.

Components (primers especially) seem to be more available lately. When I first started checking months ago I couldn't find hardly anything. Of course now I've also found more sites to check.

atakawow
06-10-2010, 00:44
Mine cost about 9.5 cents a round. I shoot 230gr lead. Primers at my part of town run at 38/k (tax included).

sdelam
06-10-2010, 05:27
I havent had to pay for lead or brass yet and I cast my own. $.015-.02 for powder is about right, $.03-.05 for primers depending on where you find them. So that means it cost me about $.05-.07 per round. Even if I buy the lead at say $1 lb, that still only adds about $.03-.035 per round for a 230g bullet.

If you dont cast your own than $.06-.07 for a lead bullet sounds right (last time I checked). So that would save 60-70 bucks per K. Barrels run about $120ish, so thats 2k to break even. If you dont shoot much I can see that sounding like alot.

stoneypete
06-10-2010, 05:34
Just shy of .20/round because I shoot jacketed. I used to cast, but the gent with the equipment is no longer a shooter.

BK63
06-10-2010, 06:20
I load lots of 45 and remember sitting down to figure this out about a year ago. I think it cost me about half to load my own vs store bought. It's a lot less than that now because I shoot a lot of lead and a Lone Wolf barrel. If you shoot a lot, switching to lead and the LW barrel you will recoup the cost of that barrel quickly. I used to shoot Montana Gold jacketed bullets at 170 bucks a thousand and I now buy lead round nose for 70 a thousand. That 100 bucks is the cost of the LW barrel right there.

njl
06-10-2010, 06:23
If you shop around and order all the components in bulk at reasonable prices, you should be able to do it for under $0.20 per round.

Figure about $0.03 for the primer, $0.12 for the jacketed bullet, $0.02 (maybe less) for the powder = $0.15 if you have brass. If you have to buy brass, that will push the initial cost well over $0.20, but hopefully you'll recover and reuse the brass many times.

netmage2112
06-10-2010, 08:21
If you shop around and order all the components in bulk at reasonable prices, you should be able to do it for under $0.20 per round.

Figure about $0.03 for the primer, $0.12 for the jacketed bullet, $0.02 (maybe less) for the powder = $0.15 if you have brass. If you have to buy brass, that will push the initial cost well over $0.20, but hopefully you'll recover and reuse the brass many times.

+1....

The key is buying in bulk to leverage shipping\hazmat charges for primers (pounce when in stock!)\powder, and bulking bullets in bulk for price breaks.

Precision Delta appears to be the best source for FMJ, just a little slow to deliver.

njl
06-10-2010, 08:32
doh!...I just noticed I added 12 + 3 + 2 and got 15. Obviously, I should have typed 17.

chemcmndr
06-10-2010, 08:57
My best load is with 5.1 grains of HP-38 and a 230 grain Berry's Plated RN. My cost to load them is about $0.20 a round. If/when I start buying components in bulk, the cost will be even less.

Wash-ar15
06-10-2010, 09:02
about 110-115 per thousand with lead.

freakshow10mm
06-10-2010, 09:17
$136 with plated.

DoctaGlockta
06-10-2010, 09:24
+1....

The key is buying in bulk to leverage shipping\hazmat charges for primers (pounce when in stock!)\powder, and bulking bullets in bulk for price breaks.

Precision Delta appears to be the best source for FMJ, just a little slow to deliver.

I had lightning delivery (230g FMJ 45acp) from them last week. They may be catching up.

Gunnut 45/454
06-10-2010, 10:43
Less then $.10 per round as I cast my own and I have tons of brass!:supergrin:

fredj338
06-10-2010, 11:25
At todays prices, buying in some bulk (5K primers & 4# powder), w/ 230grFMJ bullets (PD) about 15c/rd or $15/100. That includes shipping & HM cost. Diff bullets & powder can increase or decrease a bit, maybe upto 1c/rd either way.

BossMaverick
06-10-2010, 12:29
I'm less then $50 per 1,000 (including brass costs). I cast my own with mostly free wheel weights and I bought bulk powder and primers before the price jumps.

For those that are interested:
Bullets: .006 (for the average cost of $15 per bucket of weights and a little LLA)
Powder: .01 (solo 1000 in bulk)
Primer: .02 (wolf in bulk before price jump)
Brass: .0075 (I get my brass for $45 per 1,000, then I figure about 6 reloadings per piece before they are damaged or lost)
Total: $.0435 per round or $43.50 per 1,000

fredj338
06-10-2010, 12:52
I'm less then $50 per 1,000 (including brass costs). I cast my own with mostly free wheel weights and I bought bulk powder and primers before the price jumps.
I could post numbers like that as well. I still have primers form 1991, $11/1K, powder too, $13/# & I do cast my own from free ww, but that really isn't providing a newb useful info about realistic cost of ammo today.:shame:

JesseCJC
06-10-2010, 13:10
something in the vicinity of 50 per 1000.

I don't buy brass or lead though. Have plenty of each.

roadforeman
06-10-2010, 14:12
www.handloads.com (http://www.handloads.com) has a calculator on their site just for this purpose.

BossMaverick
06-11-2010, 13:51
I could post numbers like that as well. I still have primers form 1991, $11/1K, powder too, $13/# & I do cast my own from free ww, but that really isn't providing a newb useful info about realistic cost of ammo today.:shame:

Your right, as a newbie if took me awhile just to afford decent reloading equipment, my casting equipment came later.

To the O.P.: An aftermarket barrel will probably pay for itself before you realize with the price difference between FMJ and cast bullets. Kead bullets (just using them as an example) is at $71 per k on 230gr bullets, so almost half the cost of FMJ's. You will pay for the barrel within 2,000-3,000 rounds.

njl
06-11-2010, 14:03
Do you guys loading bare lead (or especially casting your own lead) get your lead level checked periodically? I've known one or two heavy shooters/reloaders who've had to do chelation treatment.

labdwakin
06-11-2010, 14:13
I don't... I just don't cast all the time either. When I load, I put a nitrile glove on my left hand to keep from absorbing lead and wear gloves when casting. Most people that cast their own only cast a few times a year.

Costs me around 50-60 per 1000 too...

Milltown
06-11-2010, 22:31
$ .045 a round, I cast my own.

shotgunred
06-12-2010, 08:31
http://uniqueprecisionbullets.com/45.htm

$66 bullets per k
$24 primers
$20 powder

$110 per K

RustyFN
06-12-2010, 12:29
I am loading 45 auto for $25 per 1,000. I am using powder and primers that I bought two years ago, that's one advantage to buying in bulk. I cast my own bullets with free lead that I got. At todays prices if you want to cast your own bullets I would think you could still get down to around $50 per 1,000.

JesseCJC
06-12-2010, 12:47
Do you guys loading bare lead (or especially casting your own lead) get your lead level checked periodically? I've known one or two heavy shooters/reloaders who've had to do chelation treatment.

You have to be either smoking, eating, drinking or very unsanitary or standing right over it and basking in the smell while smelting/casting to raise lead levels to the point of toxicity. I used to work in a lab and we had a few shooters who cast for 20+ years and never had any issues with lead levels. You are more at risk from tumbling cases with all that dust in the media IMO.

Edit, check here and see what the levels are on the castboolits forum
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=16442

FWIW I had my level checked the day after smelting 300lbs of WW to ingots and was at a 1.8mcg/dL. I don't cast much, Maybe 5k per year at my pace but will I still get it checked each year with my physicals.

RustyFN
06-12-2010, 13:47

Yes I get mine tested every year and the highest it has been is 8 which is very good. I load lead and cast bullets. As long as you don't eat, drink or smoke while doing any of those you should be fine. Also wash your hand often and good. Are you sure your friends problem isn't from shooting indoors a lot with poor ventilation?

fredj338
06-13-2010, 02:05
Do you guys loading bare lead (or especially casting your own lead) get your lead level checked periodically? I've known one or two heavy shooters/reloaders who've had to do chelation treatment.I'll bet they shot a lot indoors. I have been reloading, casting & shooting lead bullets for some 33yrs now. My blood lead levels, checkerd early this year, were normal. I very rarely shoot indoors though, & that is a huge lead problem, even if you do NOT shoot lead bullets. Smokers absorb more lead than non smokers. Don't eat, drink, smoke or touch your mouth when shooting w/ lead bullets or even shooting in general. There are lead styphonites in primers that become airborn on firing.

Glock21sf-miami
06-13-2010, 08:21
About 0.18-0.19 per round. I only shoot jacketed because I don't want to manipulate too much lead in the house since I have a toddler.... I also shoot mostly indoors and have already more exposure to lead than I would like...
I'm not including the cost of brass since I have about 2,500 cases and I am on the 4th loading on 500 of them, 2nd loading on the rest. For me, PMC and Starline work the best. Blazer is crap and S&B have primer pocjkets that are too tight.

hoffy
06-13-2010, 09:19
Buying plated bullets in bulk a good idea, they work in the polygonal barrels and I have had good results, though I look at loading data for lead and jacketed and split the difference, I have read on some bullet platers websites to use data for cast bullets, which can take a bit more powder. I just bought 1k 200 gr .452 plated and it was pretty close to 100$, not quite. I cast as well, and therefore don't get to shoot my Glocks and HKs as much as I like, but I shoot a lot of cast bullets, the savings will pay for the equipment, just a pain to come up with all the $ at once, so I have been accumulating for years. Good bullet sizers can be found cheap at gun shows, but admittedly I haven't been to a show since the last prez election.

Lead poisoning is a legitimate concern, but if you do it out side(on a sunny day, no water in the lead!!!) with good ventilation , and don't eat, keep drinks covered and well away from lead pot,(or come inside and wash up) you should be good. With a child- be careful to keep fumes from infiltrating. I have been casting for around 30 years(usually for 2-3 weeks a year to get a years worth of bullets, I use 4 cavity molds almost exclusively) and have been tested about half dozen times, all came out ok. My biggest concern was when I worked at a gun shop for 6 years. We were full service, and had a test cell to test fire guns with live ammo in. Looked like a giant electrolux canister vacuum cleaner, with a substantial muffler on top. You inserted the barrel in the front, was thick rubber with 4 slits, and a tiny hole in the middle. No ear protection with a rifle, but a pistol required a face shield and muffs. I digress. We cleaned inspected and test fired every used gun(one of my duties) and test fired all repairs. This thing was vented into the chimney pipe for the furnace/ac, and frankly scared me with lead. Rust would fall out of the furnace when something big was shot into it(biggest I shot was a 375 H&H) . There was a 6x6" plate to clean it out, and I worked there 6 years and managed to weasel out of cleaning that thing. Another shop across town, whose gunsmith would come in and shoot the breeze every now and then had a hole dug down to the dirt in the back of the shop and test fired their guns in that pit, but they only did it for repairs and questionable used guns, we,(I) cleaned and tested every single one. I don't know which was worse, but those fumes going into the air.... guy I worked for has been retired for years.

fredj338
06-13-2010, 19:04
I have read on some bullet platers websites to use data for cast bullets, which can take a bit more powder.
ACtually, you'll find most cast bullet data to call for LESS powder than jacketed to reach sim pressures & velocity. It's why plated manuf mostly recommend using lead bullet data. Their bullets are soft swaged lead w/ a very thin copper plating.

zdogk9
06-15-2010, 07:35
Primers will run +-$35 per 1000 around here
Powder is $25 a pound, figure +-$15 for powder depending on your load
I cast so even figuring the going rate for wheel weights locally add another $10-$15 per thousand.
So I come in at about $65 a thousand. Actually quite a bit less since I have a fair amount of components on hand, and when I do buy I buy in bulk. The above figures are what it would cost if I were to buy for a small lot.

freakshow10mm
06-15-2010, 08:55
ACtually, you'll find most cast bullet data to call for LESS powder than jacketed to reach sim pressures & velocity.
Furthermore lead bullets with same bearing surface area will shoot faster than any jacketed bullet and have less pressure.