I've been researching for over a month... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I've been researching for over a month...

MachineHead155
06-10-2010, 09:09
And I still can't decide which 1911 I want. The number of makers out there is just daunting and while I have the money for say a Wilson Combat, I think that would be quite unwise for a first 1911 even though I've already decided that I very much love the platform. Nothing shoots like a 1911. Period.

I'm looking to get a full-sized model and my two main concerns are durability and reliability. Everything else comes second. Right now I'm taking a close look at the RIA Tactical and everybody who has one seems to be very happy. Would you agree that these are quality made 1911's with a good service-life? They seem to come with every feature I'm looking for although there's no mention of a throated barrel. Does anyone know if the Tactical comes with a throated barrel?

Quack
06-10-2010, 09:20
what's your budget?

MachineHead155
06-10-2010, 09:33
what's your budget?

$1000 or less. Obviously not looking for the best 1911 on the market but rather the best VALUE.

Quack
06-10-2010, 09:35
you have plenty to choose from, what features are you looking for and what are you going to be using the 1911 for?

volsbear
06-10-2010, 09:37
A Springfield Armory Loaded - about $850-900. It'll do everything you want and more.

Cerebrus
06-10-2010, 09:38
you have plenty to choose from, what features are you looking for and what are you going to be using the 1911 for?

I am going to guess shooting...:rofl:

Quack
06-10-2010, 09:41

:animlol:

STI Spartan, Trojan, Ranger II
Springer Mil-spec, GI, Loaded
RIA Tactical or GI
S&W
Colt
Remington

MachineHead155
06-10-2010, 09:49

First of all, thanks for the responses so far. I didn't expect to see this many so quick. lol

As for your question, features aren't that important to me though I'd have to say the RIA Tactical is the bare minimum in that regard.

This will mainly be a SD weapon which is why I put durability and reliability ahead of everything else including accuracy.

Quack
06-10-2010, 10:02
Since the RIA Tactical is the minimum, then you would be looking for something with a beavertail, Novak sights, extended thumb safety.

MachineHead155
06-10-2010, 10:06
Since the RIA Tactical is the minimum, then you would be looking for something with a beavertail, Novak sights, extended thumb safety.

Add a throated barrel to that list. Do you know if RIA barrels are throated?

Quack
06-10-2010, 10:08
they should be.

PhoneCop
06-10-2010, 10:44
A Springfield Armory Loaded - about $850-900. It'll do everything you want and more.

This.

And, Kimber.
The Custom II will run $850-ish.
For a little more than $1k you could get a Crimson Carry.

Look to STI as well.
$695 will get you a Spartan.
For $900 an LS (smaller 9mm)
$1100 for a Guardian or Ranger II or Trojan 5.0

In most of these cases your bing the lower end of high quality guns- not a bad place to be. Better than the high end of lower quality firearms.

Hokie1911
06-10-2010, 11:10
This is hard to beat for the price.

http://www.brazoscustom.com/Images/sti_guns/sti_spartan.jpg

Quack
06-10-2010, 11:16
This will mainly be a SD weapon which is why I put durability and reliability ahead of everything else including accuracy.

This is hard to beat for the price.

http://www.brazoscustom.com/Images/sti_guns/sti_spartan.jpg

for a defensive gun i wouldn't have adjustable or fiber optic sights.

Hokie1911
06-10-2010, 11:17
for a defensive gun i wouldn't have adjustable or fiber optic sights.

And those can't easily be replaced?

...and his original post didn't mention SD, numbnuts.

"I'm looking to get a full-sized model and my two main concerns are durability and reliability. Everything else comes second."

Quack
06-10-2010, 11:22
but that would be adding to the cost of the gun. now a $650 gun just went up to +$750, which would be in the Loaded price range. also the fixed replacement rear sight just doesn't look right.

Hokie1911
06-10-2010, 11:49
but that would be adding to the cost of the gun. now a $650 gun just went up to +$750, which would be in the Loaded price range. also the fixed replacement rear sight just doesn't look right.

Well, it wouldn't be my choice for SD either, but again....didn't see that post. In that case, I'd go with...

http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/springfield/spg_27823.jpg
or
http://www.gunshopfinder.com/Kimber/custom2.jpg

bac1023
06-10-2010, 12:06

:rofl::rofl:

bac1023
06-10-2010, 12:07
You can get an STI Trojan in that range. :)

Hokie1911
06-10-2010, 12:16
for a defensive gun i wouldn't have adjustable sights.

You can get an STI Trojan in that range. :)

:supergrin:

http://www.muscratcustom.com/site_images/general/STI_trojan.jpg

BlayGlock
06-10-2010, 12:30
YOu are gonna want another one after you get this one. You will start looking at all the higher end ones, drooling, wishing you would have just bought that Les Baer TRS or Wilson CQB, or Ed Brown in the first place. Give in, just go big. Heh. Heh. Heh. :tempted:

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv239/BlayGlock/BaerTRS001.jpg

Sorry, lost track of myself there.

In that price range I think the STI Torjan is the way to go. The ones I've shot are exceptional guns for the price.

MachineHead155
06-10-2010, 15:41
Okay these are all good suggestions. Now let's say I did decide to go a little higher end. How much higher? Well...I've heard that a Les Baer Thunder Ranch is one of the better values in the 1911 world. Obviously the price is a bit higher, but by how much? What would be one of the "cheapest" places I could get a Thunder Ranch?

I don't know. I may be going a little over my head on that one, but it never hurts to ask...

Quack
06-10-2010, 15:45
call John at ProLoad or George at migunslingers.com

Nestor
06-10-2010, 15:56
One thing to consider.
Are You sure that You are ready for 1911?
I know... it seems that You are already familiarized yourself with the platform, but maybe, just maybe You want to run some lower end pistol first for...let say a few months, before jumping on a big name in this business...which is expensive thing to do.
Two things that I found after playing with this Norinco:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Admon/Norinco/P1030767-1.jpg
1. I like this platform and I want a higher quality pistol (I get rid off this Norinco already),
2. I don't like the price of the ammo at all (I may buy the box of 9mm for half of the price of .45 here).
Best of luck to You.

MachineHead155
06-10-2010, 16:14
Yeah I think the Les Baer will have to come later. Like I said, all of you made good suggestions but I think the one that stands out the most is the Springfield Loaded. It's well within my price range, has all of the features I'm looking for and based on online reviews, is highly dependable. I'm also a fan of the forged steel frame, slide and barrel.

For those who have owned or shot one before, what are your thoughts?

Quack
06-10-2010, 16:31
they are really nice, i would stay with the carbon steel models because the stainless models aren't fit as tightly (in my experience)

if you shop around you could find a deal on a pre-owned TRP, i would recommend that over a new Loaded.

Ruggles
06-10-2010, 16:39
I vote Kimber TLE II, just a Custom II with checkering and night sights but I think the checkering is worth the extra money IMO.

Or look at S&W 1911s, they are great guns and well within your price range.

To tell the truth is you have the money go with a Wilson/Brown/Baer or Nighthawk. You are talking about a lifelong investment so it is worth the money.

volsbear
06-10-2010, 17:38
Yeah I think the Les Baer will have to come later. Like I said, all of you made good suggestions but I think the one that stands out the most is the Springfield Loaded. It's well within my price range, has all of the features I'm looking for and based on online reviews, is highly dependable. I'm also a fan of the forged steel frame, slide and barrel.

I have one. Absolutely love it. I added a magwell and replaced the stock wooden grips with a hogue finger-groove. Perfect feel.

MachineHead155
06-10-2010, 19:35
they are really nice, i would stay with the carbon steel models because the stainless models aren't fit as tightly (in my experience)

if you shop around you could find a deal on a pre-owned TRP, i would recommend that over a new Loaded.

Thanks but I only buy new. Without getting into it, the one time I decided to buy a used firearm turned out to be a horrible experience. Let's just say the previous owner was less than honest.

Based on the info in this thread, the Loaded seems to be the best option for me. Thanks for all the suggestions. Ofcourse, more are still welcome.

Hokie1911
06-10-2010, 20:13
Thanks but I only buy new. Without getting into it, the one time I decided to buy a used firearm turned out to be a horrible experience. Let's just say the previous owner was less than honest.

Based on the info in this thread, the Loaded seems to be the best option for me. Thanks for all the suggestions. Ofcourse, more are still welcome.

Quack is pretty shady, that's how he rolls anyway. I'm like you....trust no one and buy new.

Trey83
06-10-2010, 20:25

http://www.muscratcustom.com/site_images/general/STI_trojan.jpg

Another two weeks and that bad boy will be in my grubby mits :supergrin:.

Just a heads up but jet guns just called me yesterday to let me know they have a Kimber custom II in stock. They are only asking $677 with free shipping. They don't show it in stock on their site so you may have to call if interested:dunno:

a_tack
06-10-2010, 20:25
FWIW... despite the kimber bashers, in my personal experience, I like two different 1911's in the sub-$1000 range and both can be had for under $800. I like the Kimber Custom II (if you dont mind series 80) and the Springfield Loaded (probably harder to find than the Kimber). They both shoot well out of the box and IMHO make good entry 1911's.

SouthpawShootr
06-10-2010, 20:31
Right now I'm taking a close look at the RIA Tactical and everybody who has one seems to be very happy.

I think they are in the best buy category.

Would you agree that these are quality made 1911's with a good service-life?

Yep. You just have to do your part. Don't let the recoil spring go too long is one of the most important. Other wear items will have to be replaced on any make over time.

$1000 or less. Obviously not looking for the best 1911 on the market but rather the best VALUE.

In that case, I'd say Kimber TLE II. Rail if you want. Should come in around $800 or so. I have a non-railed version (a choice I don't regret - only gun I have that has a light on it is my nightstand gun). Factory night sights and frontstrap checkering. The checkering is nice and once you've had one, you kinda like to have on everything else.

Hokie1911
06-10-2010, 20:41
Another two weeks and that bad boy will be in my grubby mits :supergrin:.

Just a heads up but jet guns just called me yesterday to let me know they have a Kimber custom II in stock. They are only asking $677 with free shipping. They don't show it in stock on their site so you may have to call if interested:dunno:

Good looking out. :thumbsup:

Quack
06-10-2010, 20:44
yep, i bought a few guns from Jet Guns (formerly Bud's Gun Shop in Paris, KY)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/Guns/DSC_2439.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/Guns/DSC_2347.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/Guns/DSC_2239.jpg

Quack
06-10-2010, 20:44
Quack is pretty shady, that's how he rolls anyway. I'm like you....trust no one and buy new.

then don't go shooting with me on saturday :tongueout: :rofl:

lawdog734
06-10-2010, 21:01
then don't go shooting with me on saturday :tongueout: :rofl:
well if you need help shooting those 1911's just tell me where:supergrin:

Trey83
06-10-2010, 21:09
yep, i bought a few guns from Jet Guns (formerly Bud's Gun Shop in Paris, KY)

I think the two are still affiliated because when I first called the number listed on Jet's sight they answered the phone with the Bud's name. They also returned my call saying they were Bud's but again it was the number listed on jet's sight. Either way it doesn't bother me they just got back to me a little late or I'd have bought the Custom II ( I bought the Trojan from Dawson precision before they called me back)

JetGuns.com
4115 Lexington Rd
Paris, KY 40361
Phone: 859-987-9815
Fax: 888-318-8050

Quack
06-10-2010, 21:23
well if you need help shooting those 1911's just tell me where:supergrin:

Shooting at Stonewall on Saturday.

sdsnet
06-10-2010, 21:32
For a first 1911 I would buy a Colt Series 70 Reproduction.

Chonny
06-10-2010, 22:45
First 1911 I bought was a Springfield GI. This was years ago and I think I paid around 420 bucks for it. After that I "stepped up" to a Kimber Custom II. It had all the features I would have liked for the GI to have, but thats not GI is it.

Ive seen some Dan Wessons I like as well as STIs. Then you can get into the higher end stuff, then higher end, then finally so high that you **** your pants when you hear the price even when you can afford it.

bac1023
06-11-2010, 04:33

It might be forged steel, but the Kimber Custom II is a much better fit and finished 1911 for the same price or slightly less.

I'm not a big fan of the Loaded.

For slightly more, the STI Trojan is a MUCH nicer 1911. Its not even close.

BlayGlock
06-11-2010, 06:22
John at Proload is where I got mine. He has some of the best prices on Les Baer and keeps a lot in stock. Prices will be around $1700 or so.

If you do not want to get the high end that I still suggest

Kimber TLE Custom II $875
STI Torjan -$999

bac1023
06-11-2010, 06:26
If you do not want to get the high end that I still suggest

Kimber TLE Custom II $875
STI Torjan -$999

...both of which are a heck of a lot nicer than a Springfield Loaded, in my opinion. :whistling:

BlayGlock
06-11-2010, 06:33
...both of which are a heck of a lot nicer than a Springfield Loaded, in my opinion. :whistling:

See, that is why I like you. You are a gentleman and a scholar. :supergrin:

DubfromGA
06-11-2010, 13:34

Same budget I had.

I wanted checkered front strap, tactical rail, hand fitted stainless steel frame & slide, durable dark finish over the stainless, match grade parts, Bo Mar sights and outstanding accuracy.

I have my gun shop looking for a new Sig 1911 Nightron Rail.

I can't wait!!!!!!

MachineHead155
06-11-2010, 14:49

Honestly I never considered a Kimber because so many people bash them. I don't come to this forum often but I've definitely noticed how people look up to you bac1023. You seem very knowledgable and people here obviously respect your opinions.

So what don't you like about the Loaded? Also, a lot of people bash Kimbers. Are they really that bad or is it just another example (of many) of the internet taking small and/or rare problems and blowing them way out of proportion?

Hokie1911
06-11-2010, 15:00
Honestly I never considered a Kimber because so many people bash them. I don't come to this forum often but I've definitely noticed how people look up to you bac1023. You seem very knowledgable and people here obviously respect your opinions.

So what don't you like about the Loaded? Also, a lot of people bash Kimbers. Are they really that bad or is it just another example (of many) of the internet taking small and/or rare problems and blowing them way out of proportion?

Pssssst.....ask Bac what his EDC is. :whistling:

bac1023
06-11-2010, 15:14

I never had an issue with any of my Kimbers. I carry a Pro CDP nearly every day, in fact. They also sell more 1911s than any other manufacturer, so there are a lot on the street.

That said, ultimately, Springfield is better than Kimber, but not at $1000 or below, in my opinion. The Loaded, in my eyes, is not fitted or finished as nice as the Kimber Custom II or Smith & Wesson SW1911. The Loaded has never impressed me and I've looked at many models of it and even shot a couple.

Now the TRP and the Springfield Customs are terrific. I also like the GI as a replica, but the Loaded is nothing to write home about.

MachineHead155
06-12-2010, 07:39
The one thing I don't like about the Trojan is that it comes with adjustable sights, otherwise I'd pick that. What about your CDP? How does that compare to the Trojan?

Thanks for the help bac1023.

MachineHead155
06-12-2010, 07:45
Oh and I'm also under the impression that Kimbers have a break-in period. Is that true?

Quack
06-12-2010, 07:54
The one thing I don't like about the Trojan is that it comes with adjustable sights, otherwise I'd pick that. What about your CDP? How does that compare to the Trojan?

see i told you guys :tongueout:

Quack
06-12-2010, 07:56
Oh and I'm also under the impression that Kimbers have a break-in period. Is that true?

everything need a break-in, but with new guns i usually make a slurry of JB Bore Paste and gun oil. i use it to lap the fame/slide. i've never had any issues with new guns using this method.

the only gun that i didn't do this to is the Remington. I didn't do it so i can give an accurate out of box review ;)

bac1023
06-12-2010, 08:17

The CDP is an aluminum framed 1911 with a 4" barrel designed for carry. The Trojan is a steel, full size target 1911, so you're comparing apples and oranges.

I think the Trojan is the better value, if that helps.

bac1023
06-12-2010, 08:19

As Quack mentioned, that's pretty much true of all 1911s or tightly fitted autos. Just lube them well and shoot them. My Kimbers have run fine from day one.

Quack
06-12-2010, 08:24
also look at the STI Guardian.
http://stiguns.com/guns/Guardian/Guardian.php
the street price is $999

http://stiguns.com/guns/Guardian/images/Guardian_Main.jpg

MachineHead155
06-12-2010, 08:51
The CDP is an aluminum framed 1911 with a 4" barrel designed for carry. The Trojan is a steel, full size target 1911, so you're comparing apples and oranges.

I think the Trojan is the better value, if that helps.

Oh I didn't even notice that. What full-sized Kimber would you recommend in that price range?

MachineHead155
06-12-2010, 08:52
see i told you guys :tongueout:

bac1023
06-12-2010, 08:58
Oh I didn't even notice that. What full-sized Kimber would you recommend in that price range?

Get the Custom II TLE.

Its a Custom II with checkering and night sights. They sell for about $900 in stores.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/products/pistols/custom/custom_tle_II/

MachineHead155
06-12-2010, 08:58
Just found out Kimber DOES make a full-sized version of the CDP, but it's not the Pro CDP. It's the Custom CDP II. Here's a link: http://www.impactguns.com/store/669278320182.html

Very nice looking pistola.

MachineHead155
06-12-2010, 09:03
Get the Custom II TLE.

Its a Custom II with checkering and night sights. They sell for about $900 in stores.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/products/pistols/custom/custom_tle_II/

Very nice. I never thought I would consider a Kimber but it seems to me that most of the problems reported on the interweb are pretty isolated.

Thanks a lot back1023 for your suggestions. I think from here on out it's going to come down to my final decision. Thanks again. :wavey:

Quack
06-12-2010, 09:38
Custom = Government size
Pro ~= Commander
Ultra ~= Officer size

MADBMW
06-12-2010, 10:08
Late to the party, but if you have the money for a gun the quality of a Wilson, Brown, ETC...my opinion is that you should buy it. In 1911's, it is very often a matter of you get what you pay for. There are very few "bargains" to be had. Now, there are decent $1000 guns, when you mention reliability and durability as your main concerns then I would advise you to spend more.

The advantage of a semi custom like Wilson or Brown is not that the look good (though they do), it is that they are built to a standard, in a more controlled environment, with the best quality parts. Production guns can't come close.

You sound as though your mind is made up to avoid the higher end guns though, I just wanted to offer my thoughts. Good luck in your search.

MachineHead155
06-12-2010, 15:56
Late to the party, but if you have the money for a gun the quality of a Wilson, Brown, ETC...my opinion is that you should buy it. In 1911's, it is very often a matter of you get what you pay for. There are very few "bargains" to be had. Now, there are decent $1000 guns, when you mention reliability and durability as your main concerns then I would advise you to spend more.

The advantage of a semi custom like Wilson or Brown is not that the look good (though they do), it is that they are built to a standard, in a more controlled environment, with the best quality parts. Production guns can't come close.

You sound as though your mind is made up to avoid the higher end guns though, I just wanted to offer my thoughts. Good luck in your search.

I appreciate your opinion, but regardless of the fact that I have the money, I still think it would be very unwise to spend so much on a FIRST 1911. Maybe somewhere down the road.

I think production 1911's can definitely hold their own. A buddy of mine bought a Springer GI model back in 2005 and has since put well over 10,000 rounds with no problems whatsoever. All parts are original. And I don't buy the whole MIM negativity. I've seen PLENTY of machined parts fail pretty much to the same extent as MIM. Now ofcourse that's just my PERSONAL experience. Maybe as a whole MIM parts are more prone to failure, but my experience just doesn't support that.

Thanks again for your opinion though. Someday I'll get a Wilson Combat.

MADBMW
06-12-2010, 19:24
I appreciate your opinion, but regardless of the fact that I have the money, I still think it would be very unwise to spend so much on a FIRST 1911. Maybe somewhere down the road.

I think production 1911's can definitely hold their own. A buddy of mine bought a Springer GI model back in 2005 and has since put well over 10,000 rounds with no problems whatsoever. All parts are original. And I don't buy the whole MIM negativity. I've seen PLENTY of machined parts fail pretty much to the same extent as MIM. Now ofcourse that's just my PERSONAL experience. Maybe as a whole MIM parts are more prone to failure, but my experience just doesn't support that.

Thanks again for your opinion though. Someday I'll get a Wilson Combat.

Very good. The most important thing is that you research (which obviously you have) your choice and feel confident in it. And so nobody mis-understands my post, I was in no way trying to knock production guns. I am very well aware that quality examples from various manufacturers are available, and I don't buy the whole MIM phobia either (as long as it's from a reputable manufaturer). I just have learned through my own trials and errors that "buy once, cry once" is a fairly good motto to live by.

Chonny
06-12-2010, 20:27
I've had good luck with Kimbers. My local store ordered a bunch and in 2 weeks they are gonna have a whole buttload of Kimbers. I might have to grab something while they are around.

brisk21
06-12-2010, 20:29

If you want an "enhanced" model that looks custom, get the Loaded. If you want the "military" look get the Mil-spec. You cant go wrong with either. Plus, the idiot scratch your gonna put on it will look alot better on a Springfield than it will a Wilson or Baer.

brisk21
06-12-2010, 20:36

You should be able to expect total relaibility out of a lower cost 1911 such as a Springfield Mil-spec or a Kimber. Quality, relatively speaking compared to other types of guns, should be pretty good also. Even on a lower end production gun, you just can't beat that single action trigger of a 1911.

Quack
06-13-2010, 17:59
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1231735

bac1023
06-13-2010, 20:22
Just found out Kimber DOES make a full-sized version of the CDP, but it's not the Pro CDP. It's the Custom CDP II. Here's a link: http://www.impactguns.com/store/669278320182.html

Very nice looking pistola.

Oh yeah. They make four versions of the CDP, the Custom, Pro, Compact, and Ultra.

bac1023
06-13-2010, 20:23
Custom = Government size
Pro ~= Commander
Ultra ~= Officer size

You forgot the Compact. :tongueout:

bac1023
06-13-2010, 20:23
Very nice. I never thought I would consider a Kimber but it seems to me that most of the problems reported on the interweb are pretty isolated.

Thanks a lot back1023 for your suggestions. I think from here on out it's going to come down to my final decision. Thanks again. :wavey:

Very cool. :cool:

Good luck with your purchase.

Don Glock
06-13-2010, 21:48
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/champop1911/Champion%20Operator/Pic009.jpg