Home Invasion Defense [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Home Invasion Defense

jdwatson
06-10-2010, 11:07
I ran across this randomly following links of links. I've never heard of this group before, so I thought I would cast the topic to group here.

http://homedefensetactics.com/

Anyone know about this ? Anyone own the material ? Opinions (yeah, lots) ?

MTPD
06-11-2010, 05:59
I don't know anything about this book, but I can assure you that there is only one way to always be ready to resist home invaders, and that's to always have a powerful pistol (9mm & up) on your person, or within easy reach when in bed, in the shower, etc.

Home invasions typically happen so fast that there usually isn't time to access an off-body firearm, retreat to a safe room, etc.

jdwatson
06-11-2010, 08:45
MTPD, thanks for the reply. There's been an increase in home invasions locally of recent. I carry all day, everyday even in the house. The website indicates education on what to do *after* the invasion has commenced. Coincidently, I had recent saw the movie, "Law Abiding Citizen", which starts out as a home invasion. That movie got me to thinking...

MTPD
06-11-2010, 09:28
MTPD, thanks for the reply. There's been an increase in home invasions locally of recent. I carry all day, everyday even in the house. The website indicates education on what to do *after* the invasion has commenced. Coincidently, I had recent saw the movie, "Law Abiding Citizen", which starts out as a home invasion. That movie got me to thinking...

We've been having a lot of home invasions down here on the Mex border. Usually 3-10 well armed BG's in 1-3 vehicles. A local PD robbery squad sergeant is a friend of ours, and claims most are drug or gang related.

I crashed a few doors as a cop and never were the suspects able to access weapons in time to shoot it out. That suggests you won't have much chance without at least some warning (dog, alarm, etc.)

David Armstrong
06-11-2010, 10:01
Opinions (yeah, lots) ?
I haven't read the material, not familiar with the organization, but I have to say I'm always pretty leery of folks who make claims like:
The "room clearing" strategies you'll discover on pages 41-47 will instantly grant you the tactical skills of a high level S.W.A.T. team member!
and
Make these 2 simple (and cheap) adjustments to your safe room door (1 on the left side - 1 on the right side) and any criminal trying to enter will need an M1-Abrams tank to get through! Page 24

jdwatson
06-11-2010, 10:19
David, I agree. The advertisement seems overly sensational. I could hear that Sham-Wow guy delivering the pitch in my head. :-) But wait, there's more...

Sam Spade
06-11-2010, 12:23
It has the feel of one of those TRS "Fighter of the Week" ads.

If a guy tells you that you can fight like a SEAL with a week's training and his book, then logic tells you that SEALs can cut their training expenses and scheduling dramatically. So why don't they? In this case, strike "SEAL" and substitute "SWAT".

In short, I'm with David. There might be good material there, but it's risky.

mitchshrader
06-11-2010, 13:09
you have various mitigant options to home invasion, but what works for two thieves doesn't work for 10 heavily armed career criminals.

Harden. Buy time.

Alert. Ditto, + inform LEO/Security.

Respond (lethal force).

Escape (safe room/tunnel) .

All of the options are variably expensive, and variably useful, depending on what precisely you're defending against.

More costs more. Moving is always an option. Risk mitigation is an art, not a science.

There is no magic bullet. Pick the best bad answer.

cigarlover
06-12-2010, 10:44
I live in the country on the back side of a mountain. My house sits up on a hill off the street. It's going to be some work to get up my drive with no notice. All entry doors to my house have loud alarm sensors when opened. I can even hear them while in the shower. Then if they did and made it inside my house- would encounter my pitbull named Titan. But as stated above- I always have a weapon on me or by me no matter where I'm at in my house. I don't know if they would be better off with me and my pistol or Titan....

AZBru88
06-12-2010, 11:03
One thing hardly ever mentioned is security camera set up. Nice systems can be had for way under $1000. Gives great advance warning, can be hooked up with motion alarms. DVR records bad guys. Lots of pluses, the main one is advanced warning. Gives you time to get your family safe, get to your weapons (I always have one on, and more in easy reach).
Harden. Buy time.

Alert. Ditto, + inform LEO/Security.

Respond (lethal force).

Escape (safe room/tunnel) .
Great advice.

MTPD
06-13-2010, 06:39
One thing hardly ever mentioned is security camera set up. Nice systems can be had for way under $1000. Gives great advance warning, can be hooked up with motion alarms. DVR records bad guys. Lots of pluses, the main one is advanced warning. Gives you time to get your family safe, get to your weapons (I always have one on, and more in easy reach).

Great advice.

What most apparently don't realize is that home invasions happen lightning fast. There was one here recently that proves the point. Ten BG's hit a home on acreage. The homeowner had surveillance cameras all around, which is how I know what the BG's did, because it was shown on TV. The BG's ran from the fence & locked gate to the house in seconds, broke down the doors (all of them at the same time) and entered. I'd estimate that it didn't take one minute total from the time the attackers exited their vehicles until they were inside. TEN OF THEM!

Think of a SWAT team hitting a house, and that's what it looked like.

What good did the sophisticated surveillance system and cameras do? Not much, except to help ID the BG's later.

jdwatson
06-13-2010, 10:22
Seems like if "they" want you, there isn't much one person can do. Fortunately, the home invasions in this area don't have 10 BGs, just one or two. Most of them have entered through unlocked doors/garages. We stay locked up tighter than a bull's *****. :-)

MTPD
06-13-2010, 10:43
Seems like if "they" want you, there isn't much one person can do. Fortunately, the home invasions in this area don't have 10 BGs, just one or two. Most of them have entered through unlocked doors/garages. We stay locked up tighter than a bull's *****. :-)

Ten BG's was an exception even down here on the border, usually it's 3-7 BG's. I only mentioned the 10 man raid because it was shown on TV so I saw exactly what happened.

volsbear
06-13-2010, 10:48

Ten BG's was an exception even down here on the border, usually it's 3-7 BG's. I only mentioned the 10 man raid because it was shown on TV so I saw exactly what happened.

Three bad guys versus you is a tough situation to be in much less ten bad guys versus you. They've got surprise and multiple angles of attack on their side. You've got knowledge of your home. Surprise tends to win unfortunately.

cigarlover
06-14-2010, 04:06
Does anyone have a video link to the invasion with 10 guys??

MTPD
06-18-2010, 09:32
Does anyone have a video link to the invasion with 10 guys??

I don't think it's available. It was shown on local TV about a month or two ago. Basically the BG's parked at the fence line in the dark, ran to the well-lighted house, and crashed in. They came from various angles and the outside surveillance cameras picked them up. I never heard that they were apprehended.

We are on the Mex border and drive-bys, home invasions, cartel hits, kidnappings, and big dope busts happen all the time.

Almost all of the dope busts are $500k+ worth of pot or cocaine ($750k worth of coke recovered on this morning's news, $500k worth of pot yesterday) and most of the abducted are never seen again. But..........a police buddy here says if you aren't into drugs and/or gangs you "probably" won't be victimized by gang-related killers. Hmmm? Unfortunately, the BG's hit the wrong house by mistake down the street from me not too long ago and ended up shooting an innocent female (illegal alien) in the head. And a friend's PU was stolen from her work parking lot a short time ago, used for a dope run, then trashed. The side and back windows were painted black, apparently so the cops wouldn't spot the bails of pot inside.)