Highlight of my Day! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Highlight of my Day!

Fire_Medic
06-10-2010, 20:12
I had a very unexpected but pleasant surprise today. There I was counting down the hours to go home from the shop, had a couple of calls at the station last night that made for little sleep, and when I least expect it I'm handed a transfer to take care of for a customer who had a Colt shipped in for him.

Well little did I know what was inside the box. An unfired, NIB, old stock, 1974 Colt MK IV Series 70 with the electroless nickel satin finish. :wow:

This has got to be one of the nicest, plain jane 1911's my hands have ever held. It had the factory Pachmayr grips with the gold Colt medallion inserts.

The gentleman who was taking it had an accident in the past where he is now missing his thumb and index finger on his left hand. We take it apart to inspect it and it still had the green packing grease. The gentleman looks at me and says, my hand has been bothering me today, would you do me the favor of shooting a mag or two through it to make sure all is well. :supergrin:

The customer is always right, so who am I to say no? :whistling: We didn't add any lube and I went in put the target back to about 12 yards and cranked out 2 mags worth of ammo through the gun. I know 2 mags is nothing to count for the reliability of a firearm, but folks this gun is older than I am and it functioned flawlessly. The gun made me look like a sharpshooter. This was one of the nicest 1911 shooting experiences I have yet to have so far in my time, and the Pachmayr grips feel great and make the recoil feel even softer.

This really made my day, especially after the horrible shooting experience with the Remington earlier on.

I know it's silly, but today made me see first hand why so many guys LOVE the "Old" Colt 1911's. I'm just glad I was the one that had the opportunity to test out this fine piece of Colt Nostalgia if you will. The only picture I have is this one from my cell phone after shooting it.

I thought some of you guys might appreciate the story, it really did brighten my day today at work.

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k366/ffgabe/IMG00010-20100610-1458.jpg

bac1023
06-10-2010, 21:04
Very nice Gabe.

Glad to hear :thumbsup:

Tactical black
06-10-2010, 21:17
Sounds like a fun day :)

Trey83
06-10-2010, 21:17
That's a cool story. I love older guns and would love to have a vintage 1911 some day. It would go nicely with my Ithaca 37.

Fire_Medic
06-10-2010, 21:20
Sounds like a fun day :)

You already had the inside scoop. ;)

Fire_Medic
06-10-2010, 21:21
That's a cool story. I love older guns and would love to have a vintage 1911 some day. It would go nicely with my Ithaca 37.

Thanks I don't know if he did good but it cost him $1300 shipped. I've seen VERY worn Colt's sell for higher than that. :dunno:

Fire_Medic
06-10-2010, 21:22
Very nice Gabe.

Glad to hear :thumbsup:

Thanks brother, it was one of those "What Would Brian Do?" moments.

Maybe we should make WWBD T-Shirts with a picture of a 1911 on them? :supergrin:

Trey83
06-10-2010, 21:33
Thanks I don't know if he did good but it cost him $1300 shipped. I've seen VERY worn Colt's sell for higher than that. :dunno:

Sounds like a good price to me. It looks like WW I, WW II Colt 1911's are going from $1500 to well over $5000 :wow:

okie
06-11-2010, 00:09
That's awesome, my friend:supergrin::wavey:

CMG
06-11-2010, 00:41
I had a very unexpected but pleasant surprise today. There I was counting down the hours to go home from the shop, had a couple of calls at the station last night that made for little sleep, and when I least expect it I'm handed a transfer to take care of for a customer who had a Colt shipped in for him.

Well little did I know what was inside the box. An unfired, NIB, old stock, 1974 Colt MK IV Series 70 with the electroless nickel satin finish. :wow:

This has got to be one of the nicest, plain jane 1911's my hands have ever held. It had the factory Pachmayr grips with the gold Colt medallion inserts.

The gentleman who was taking it had an accident in the past where he is now missing his thumb and index finger on his left hand. We take it apart to inspect it and it still had the green packing grease. The gentleman looks at me and says, my hand has been bothering me today, would you do me the favor of shooting a mag or two through it to make sure all is well. :supergrin:

The customer is always right, so who am I to say no? :whistling: We didn't add any lube and I went in put the target back to about 12 yards and cranked out 2 mags worth of ammo through the gun. I know 2 mags is nothing to count for the reliability of a firearm, but folks this gun is older than I am and it functioned flawlessly...

You're younger than 1974?! :wow:

Dam kids! :supergrin:

The 1970s and older Colts are pretty reliable, many from the 80s and 90s, not so much. :crying:

Sounds like you had a fun time. You should get the opportunity to run one of the really old ones some day. (Like the one in my avatar from 1914!)

gruntmedik
06-11-2010, 00:56
Don't wash your hands for a week. :thumbsup:

GreyEclipse
06-11-2010, 02:01
:thumbsup: Lucky guy...

I love my 1911's!

jrs93accord
06-11-2010, 02:24
I love the vintage Colts. That one is a beaut. He is most fortunate. And you, you lucky dog. You get to pop its cherry. :supergrin:

bac1023
06-11-2010, 05:14

:rofl::rofl:

BlayGlock
06-11-2010, 06:16
I wish somebody would let me shoot stuff at my job.

bac1023
06-11-2010, 06:25

:agree:

Tactical black
06-11-2010, 06:30
You already had the inside scoop. ;)

Busted :embarassed:

I figured I would say something since you keep rubbing it in :supergrin:

Fire_Medic
06-11-2010, 07:31
You're younger than 1974?! :wow:

Dam kids! :supergrin:

The 1970s and older Colts are pretty reliable, many from the 80s and 90s, not so much. :crying:

Sounds like you had a fun time. You should get the opportunity to run one of the really old ones some day. (Like the one in my avatar from 1914!)

My DOB- 03/22/1980

So yeah I'm a little younger than a 1974 Colt 1911..........:whistling:

I would love to shoot an older one some day, last gun show down here I met a gentleman who had Vintage Colt's and BHP's, I almost bought a BHP he had but it had too much rust on it. And the Colt's were too beat up IMHO for the amount of money he wanted. I really wanted the high power though, it was a Belgium with German proof marks and matching serial #'s from the Hitler Era.

The older BHP's and Colt's are starting to capture my attention more and more as of late, don't know why, but they are.

Fire_Medic
06-11-2010, 07:32
That's awesome, my friend:supergrin::wavey:

:thumbsup: Lucky guy...

I love my 1911's!

Thanks fellas, it was a neat experience. :supergrin:

Fire_Medic
06-11-2010, 07:33
:rofl:

Fire_Medic
06-11-2010, 07:35
I love the vintage Colts. That one is a beaut. He is most fortunate. And you, you lucky dog. You get to pop its cherry. :supergrin:

I really thought it was a prank at first between the customer and one of the old timers that works at the shop who's also really into 1911's. :rofl:

Fire_Medic
06-11-2010, 07:36

This is my P/T job, been there a little over a month, working there on my days off from the fire department. It's a neat job, and the pay is enough to make it worth my time. I would get the same or a little less working in an ER as a medic so the shop was a no brainer. :whistling:

bac1023
06-11-2010, 08:20
This is my P/T job, been there a little over a month, working there on my days off from the fire department. It's a neat job, and the pay is enough to make it worth my time. I would get the same or a little less working in an ER as a medic so the shop was a no brainer. :whistling:

Very glad to hear. Sounds nice.

Fire_Medic
06-11-2010, 08:29
Very glad to hear. Sounds nice.

More of a pleasure to wipe down a firearm, than someone's rear end.....:whistling:

Tactical black
06-11-2010, 08:31
More of a pleasure to wipe down a firearm, than someone's rear end.....:whistling:

now that you put it that way I think I will scratch off the list of wanting to be a medic when I grow up :whistling::rofl:

Fire_Medic
06-11-2010, 08:34

now that you put it that way I think I will scratch off the list of wanting to be a medic when I grow up :whistling::rofl:

Out on the street and inside a hospital are two "completely" different animals. :wavey:

Tactical black
06-11-2010, 08:42
Out on the street and inside a hospital are two "completely" different animals. :wavey:

I probably should have said an ER medic.

Fire_Medic
06-11-2010, 08:51
I probably should have said an ER medic.

Oh I didn't mean it like that, just saying it's as different as night and day. But I'll take a fire truck over the ER any day. :supergrin:

gruntmedik
06-11-2010, 10:05

Amen. I worked in the confines of a hospital for 7 years, but not as a medic.

glock2740
06-11-2010, 11:11
Congrats! Very cool.