New magazines: Break in period? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New magazines: Break in period?

CDR_Glock
06-11-2010, 04:44
Do new magazines need some type of break in period? Should I load them completely and store them for some period before testing at the range? Should I fire (XX) rounds before being confident that its reliable?

JR
06-11-2010, 16:13
The mag is reliable right out of the box. Its only job is to push the ammo up so the stripper can remove it from the mag. New mags are the best mags in this situation.
The most common complaint with new mags is they usually fight you to get the last round in them. This is the reason you keep them fully loaded. You are waiting for the spring to take a set and relax a little to easily accept that last round. The question of loading a magazine to full capacity has nothing to do with its reliability.

CDR_Glock
06-11-2010, 16:21
Thank you for your answer.

Isn't a faulty magazine the most common cause of problems with Semiautos?

I love my Glock 23 and 27. Ammo is cheap and plentiful.

JR
06-11-2010, 16:36
Sure, I will give you that however you said "new magazine". It is my point a new magazine is as good as it ever will be. If it works right out of the box, odds are it will continue doing so........ Until it gets old and unreliable.

CDR_Glock
06-11-2010, 20:12
I wasn't referring to new magazines on question #2. Thanks for the response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JR
06-11-2010, 20:15
Ok, you can have that one too. Magazine performance is ALWAYS related to the condition of the spring..... Unless a feed ramp or other barrel modification has occurred. If so, that’s no problem either! Up grade the spring & follower and you are good to go.

CDR_Glock
06-12-2010, 07:41
How does one tell when the spring has to be replaced?
How often should I open up the magazine to check the spring?
Is there a way to tell w/o opening it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JR
06-14-2010, 22:26
Good question!
You can wait until you start noticing the slide does not lock back on the last shot.
You can wait until the slide does not pick up the last round.
You can simply replace the mag spring every 3 to 5 years and not worry about it at all. (come on... $7....?)