Bought 165 and 180gr Ranger T, but they look a little different?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bought 165 and 180gr Ranger T, but they look a little different??

outdoorsman44
06-11-2010, 12:25
Hi all,
I have a G27 and had pretty much decided on going with the 165gr Ranger T as my carry ammo, but when ordering it, I decided what the heck might as well try some 180gr Ranger Ts just to see how the difference in recoil would be. They came today, and the top petals of the bullets look a little different. The 165gr looks like the top of the bullet jacket is thinner than the 180gr. This makes the apperance that the 165gr has a wider hollow point at the very tip of the bullet. Has anyone seen this before? Does anyone have both of these loads, and can tell me if this is supposed to be this way. Perhaps they are a tad bit different, just like the HSTs are (the HSTs have longer skives on the bullet in the 180gr). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS- I have shot many rounds of the .45ACP Ranger Ts through my G30 at the range without problem. The .40S&W180gr bullet looks more like the 230gr one, just smaller obviously because one is .45ACP and one is .40S&W

outdoorsman44
06-11-2010, 12:27
I'd like to post pics, but don't have a camera at the moment.

vafish
06-11-2010, 13:06
I don't see the issue, you bought 2 different bullets and they look different.

Bullet weight is just one part of bullet design. When you change the weight you have to change other features to get the penetration and expansion you want.

Winchester engineers seem to be doing a pretty good job with their designs. I wouldn't worry about it.

outdoorsman44
06-11-2010, 13:12
I don't see the issue, you bought 2 different bullets and they look different.

Bullet weight is just one part of bullet design. When you change the weight you have to change other features to get the penetration and expansion you want.

Winchester engineers seem to be doing a pretty good job with their designs. I wouldn't worry about it.
You are probably right, thankyou for your reply. I thought for some reason the two same bullets, even though slightly different weights, would look the same.

Just so you guys can get a better idea, my 165gr Rangers look just like Tnoutdoors9 165gr Ranger T that he shot in his youtubevideo that keyholed, so my 165gr must be correct.

BurkGlocker
06-11-2010, 13:18
The 165's have a slightly larger hollow point, but its not going to change the way that they work. As I have stated before, you cannot go wrong with either weight, and the performance after the fact is almost identical. The only reason that I went with the 165's was the higher energy of the rounds.

Burk

outdoorsman44
06-11-2010, 15:16
The 165's have a slightly larger hollow point, but its not going to change the way that they work. As I have stated before, you cannot go wrong with either weight, and the performance after the fact is almost identical. The only reason that I went with the 165's was the higher energy of the rounds.

Burk
Burk,
You're the man! I was hoping youd see this thread. This eases my mind now. Also, I noticed on the 180gr Ranger Ts, they have like cuts in them like in a circle around the inside of the hollowpoint. Some have this cut on some of the petals, but others don't. Has anyone seen this in the 180gr?

DRT
06-11-2010, 18:24
-Do they both say "T-series" on the bottom/left corner of the box flap? If so, you have the latest generation. If they say "SXT" then they are the older version.

outdoorsman44
06-11-2010, 19:28
-Do they both say "T-series" on the bottom/left corner of the box flap? If so, you have the latest generation. If they say "SXT" then they are the older version.
Yes they both are the T-series version. Thanks guys for all of your replies, I'm still learning things and you've helped me alot!

outdoorsman44
06-11-2010, 20:16
My buddy that I ordered them from just replied back to me and confirmed what you all have said about the two different loads. THanks again guys, you Rock!!