The neck [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The neck

EL COLONEL
06-11-2010, 15:03
Is the neck shot good on deer or is the double lung shot better ?..........:dunno:

ju993rnaut
06-11-2010, 16:21
I would think both shots would be somewhat effective. A lung shot would almost certainly be a kill, but how fast, I couldnt tell you. You might get caught in the dark following a blood trail. A neck shot might be and instant kill or might not depending on whether you hit the spinal column or major artery. Some animals become paralized but are still alive, some are done instantly, and some are just wounded. Propper shot placement on most animals (depending on their position in relation to yours) is just behind the shoulder if quartering away or standing sideways and the chest if facing or quartering towards you. These arent very specific(as to exact placement) but I dont wanna get into detail. I wouldnt take an animal with a neck shot if I could help it and if I couldnt I dont think I would unless it was a once in a lifetime trophy.

n0vember
06-11-2010, 18:14
Is the neck shot good on deer or is the double lung shot better ?..........

check a deer's anatomy, look for lethal areas, think...

just a few reasons why I can not recommend head or neckshots:

http://up.picr.de/4551088.jpg
http://up.picr.de/4551097.jpg
http://up.picr.de/4551091.jpg
http://up.picr.de/4551098.jpg
http://up.picr.de/4551100.jpg
http://up.picr.de/4551099.jpg

if they go wrong, they go WRONG..

...given that you don't even consider tracking wounded game, I don't see how you could ethically justify shooting in the neck or head. In addition to that, you don't even seem to be able to hit a pig's vital zone which - let's face it - is not that hard to miss. No offense, but go to the range, improve your shooting skills - until then, take the easy shots, don't shoot too far and if it is too far, too dark or for any other reason not 100% then just don't shoot. these are animals we're hunting for f... sake, they deserve at least a clean kill.

try and hit either heart AND lung (go in deep) or try and hit lung and rather high so the temporal cavity will hit the spine, this should result in immediate dropping. it also helps, to hit the shoulder and destroy bone(s)

n0vember
06-11-2010, 18:16
http://up.picr.de/4551102.jpg
maybe that helps..

Jonesee
06-11-2010, 19:34
This has been hashed so many times before...

A journeyman hunter will always tell you to wait for a shot on the vitals. One shot, one kill. make it clean and quick.

However, there are members here who will also tell how they regularly kill trophy bucks with neck shots at 200 yards with their Daisy BB gun.

If you really need to ask this question, you need to hunt longer with men who have been doing it their whole life.

n0vember
06-11-2010, 19:45
A journeyman hunter .

by journeyman hunter you mean what exactly?

Jonesee
06-11-2010, 20:37
by journeyman hunter you mean what exactly?

Men and women who have grown up hunting. Hunters who hunt as frequently as they can.

I may not qualify, but I grew up on a farm and have hunted (deer, birds, small game) for almost 45 years in several states and areas of the US.

I hunt with some men who have more days in the field than I do. My father-in=law is, shall we say, long in the tooth. yet he still moves from hunting season to hunting season. Only during the summer does he not hunt, and then he is fishing. (and in his health he should not be out in the woods alone, but he will have to die to stop him)

When you want to ask about hunting, those old men that used to hunt to put food on the table are the ones to ask. My grandfathr never saw hunting as a "sport". It helped feed his 9 kids.

Actually I don't hunt so much anymore as use it as an excuse to spend time with my sons. I still carry a rifle, but when hunting with them I have never needed to use it. They were always taught to wait... one shot one kill...

noway
06-14-2010, 10:19
this topic comes up every so often and here's my input on the matter,

a neck shot over a broadside lung/boiler room shot, I perfer the latter. if anything goes wrong you still get someting if you go for a center of the boiler, too low, you get more heart, to high maybe the spine, left or right, still not bad.

A neck is a very serious challenge under hunting conditions and can lead to a serious mistake.

vafish
06-14-2010, 20:26
I'm 45 years old, have been deer hunting since I was 12. Didn't shoot my first deer until I was 19, but have been shooting then pretty well since then. Last season I shot 5, most years I shoot at least 2. I've used neck shots about 8 times on deer over the years.

All but one were with a scoped handgun at under 50 yards.

Of those times I missed completely once. Found a bullet mark in a tree branch the deer would have ducked under to continue along the path he was on. No blood or hair.

Once I nicked the top of the deers neck, luckily he ran towards me instead of away and I shot him through the lungs and he continued to walk towards me, as he went under my stand I shot him again in the neck and he dropped at the base of the tree I was in.

And another time all I could see was the head and neck sticking out from behind a large pine tree at what ended up being 90 yards. Took the shot, he dropped in his tracks. As I reloaded the TC Contender he jumped up and ran off. Thankfully there was about an inch of snow on the ground and he left the easiest blood trail I have ever seen. Shot was low and took out his wind pipe and jugular veins. Every time he exhaled there was a 6 foot wide spray of blood in the snow. He ran about 100 yards before he died.

The rest of the neck shots were instantaneous drops. So out of 8 shots 3 were less than satisfactory results. So that's almost a 40% chance of a poor outcome based on my results.

Compare that to the rest of the deer that have been chest shots I've recovered every one with the exception of 2 and both of those 2 were wounded by other hunters and running past me when I shot at them. Both of them made it past me and onto a prison property where we were not allowed to recover the deer.

I do not recommend that people try neck or head shots. I haven't tried to take one in 10-15 years. There is just much less margin of error and you can leave the deer with wounds like n0vember has shown.

Here is a link to an interesting study on shot placement and caliber.

http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/ballistics/game_study.html

TACC GLOCK
06-14-2010, 20:35
I prefer neck shots only. I have been hunting 35 years and have only had one deer take off on me , that was the one time I took a boiler room shot. After 500 yards I caught up with him again, took the neck shot and down he went. Every other shot the deer were dead before they hit the ground. I also do not take the shot unless I am certain I can kill it in one shot. I have taught both of my sons the same thing, and they have not had any issues after hunting for 7 years with me. We also spend numeous hours at the range ensuring we know where our bullets will land at certain distances.

pac201
06-14-2010, 20:35
I've been hunting since I was 8, to say I have some experience would be an understatement; that being said, I must concur that heart/lungs is the best way to go.

BK63
06-15-2010, 06:21
I have shot more deer behind the front shoulder and they dropped right where they were. One time when I fired the deer started to run and I hit it a little farther back, not much, just a little and it went through the lungs. It ran about 50 yards and dropped.

CanyonMan
06-15-2010, 10:46
In all my years of hunting, I have taken a great deal of game. Simply put, yes, the shoulder/lung/heart shot is the wisest usually. But I have taken a great deal of game with neck shots, and never lost a one yet. I do stay close in on the neck shots. Not that i could not hit the neck at long range/s, but there is to much margin for error there. At say 50yds and less, I cannot see why with a good eye and right conditions, and especially with a good scope, that there should be a problem for a neck shot if properly placed.

Again, YES the classic lung shot just behind the sholder is more error free, and quick drops into the front shoulder will usually alway ensure DRT, but if you and your weapon are doing their job, 50 yds and less is for me, my rule for neck shots. Again, understand, not that a man cannot hit the neck at longer range, but the margin for error goes way up at further distance to the neck. So, for me, and "my rule for me," 50 yards or less, if I have a real clear shot, DRT in the neck.

Now i do not agree with my little brother, on the ranch, he uses a 22-250 in a sniper set up from massive scope to tripod, and makes all neck shots .. Period ! I have jumped down his throat for this, but I must admit, he has never lost a deer yet, and gets some very long shots. I don't approve. But one day he'll learn. (i hope). :faint:

Heart/lung ? Best bet. But if you and your equipment can shoot on the money, there should be no fear or concern for an under 50 yd neck shot .

My 7 MM Rem mag will cover 3-4 shots at 100yds with a nickle. At 50 yds, it is even sweeter. So, although I could go for the neck at 100/200 or more. I have a personal rule to stay at 50yds or less on the neck.. One exception is if I have no other choice out to 100yds, and have a very clear steady shot at only the neck and no hope of getting better, I'll take it. Again, confidence in my ability, and in my equipment. But I do not suggest it to just the deer season "only" shooter. ;)

My .2 ;)

CanyonMan

bnkrtstk
06-15-2010, 11:34
n0vember, that is one tiny deer.

I prefer neck shots, here is a pic of my 11yo daughter's first buck taken last December. 100yd shot, he was DRT.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f215/bnkrtstk/IMG00435.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f215/bnkrtstk/Shot.jpg

The AmBASSaDEER
06-15-2010, 11:40
Personally I dont take neck shots.

EL COLONEL
06-15-2010, 15:57
Thanx to everyone that replied................................:wavey:

n0vember
06-15-2010, 17:03
n0vember, that is one tiny deer.

roe deer ;) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roe_Deer)

Big Bird
06-15-2010, 21:24
There is no such thing as the best shot on a game animal.

The best shot is the one that presents itself with a reasonable chance of success.

Deer are not hard to kill if you hit them properly. The problem for most hunters is they lack the marksmanship skill to make a good game shot. So they only shoot a standing broadside heart/lung. To be sure that's the money shot on deer. But a good neck shot, or spine shot, or liver shot will put a deer down VERY quickly if not in their tracks. I've even killed a pair of deer with a Texas heart shot (one with a bow) and they went down as quick as I've ever put an animal down. 20 years ago it was quite common to see posters of shots to take on deer and other critters at various angles. You almost never see that anymore as people have become too obsessed with WHAT they are shooting (ie: caliber, gun, high performance ammo, scope etc) as opposed to HOW they are shooting.

Seriously? How many hunters do you know that actually practice with a rifle on offhand running shots on at 30-40 yards? I can't think of ANYBODY that does that.

Go to a hunter's certification course in Germany for your Jagdschein (hunting license) and you are REQUIRED to shoot at a moving running board target and score 3/5 hits at 100 meters!

duncan
06-15-2010, 23:56
Like what CanyonMan and Big Bird stated. Just DRT - thanks bnkrtstk. Great to get the kids hunting early. My 13 year old like hunting and my 15 year loves fishing. 16 year old just likes Glocks and AR-15s.

Just get her done!

RJ Schuknecht
06-16-2010, 05:33
Is the neck shot good on deer or is the double lung shot better ?..........:dunno:

I am going to assume you are talking about a firearm shot. With a bow I think a neck shot is unethical.

I have two 308s and will always take a neck shot with either rifle at whitetail deer if the shot presents itself. It comes down to knowing what my capabilities are as a shooter to hit the target, and my confidence in my equipment to drop a deer in it's tracks with a neck shot.

I spend a lot of time on the range to be sure I can make these shots. Last summer one of the range regulars even asked me "what are you trying to do, drive tacks?". That is why I am confident to take neck shots, and I have never had to track a neck shot deer. They all go directly to the ground.

n0vember
06-16-2010, 08:19
Go to a hunter's certification course in Germany for your Jagdschein (hunting license) and you are REQUIRED to shoot at a moving running board target and score 3/5 hits at 100 meters!

Almost..

the "Laufender Keiler" which is the moving boar target is set up at 50 or 60m, not 100m. It is visible only for a short period of time, goes something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE6SY2B7wfQ
(after 20 seconds you can see the target)

CanyonMan
06-16-2010, 12:10
Dang thats fancy business ! ha.

Try rolling a truck tire with a piece of card board cut to fit inside down a real high and bumpy hill to simulate running speed and leaping and jumping. :wow:

Makes it real interesting, and 'can' knock the pride out of a guy real fast. ;)

Good hunting to all !

CanyonMan

n0vember
06-16-2010, 15:42
Dang thats fancy business ! ha.

fancy business? above exercise is just for the exam. what we do for fun is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj29PNuDI5k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VTJnjNTKzo

..we sadly aren't allowed to practice off a proper range in Germany. At least we're allowed to zero our rifle in our hunting area if need be.

CanyonMan
06-16-2010, 15:58
fancy business? above exercise is just for the exam. what we do for fun is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj29PNuDI5k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VTJnjNTKzo

..we sadly aren't allowed to practice off a proper range in Germany. At least we're allowed to zero our rifle in our hunting area if need be.

Well shooting hogs in a movie theater is something I must admit I've never seen before ! haha. Seriously, it does look interesting. Do try the truck tire bouncing down a real steep ruff hill some time though. (if ya ever can find a place that allows you to do that). It will give you a whole different perspective of your skills. ha ;) Man thats to bad you guys are so restricted as to where you can shoot your guns. Hate to hear that.

Cool vids. Thanks.
Good hunting.

CanyonMan

vafish
06-21-2010, 06:44
Well shooting hogs in a movie theater is something I must admit I've never seen before ! haha. Seriously, it does look interesting. Do try the truck tire bouncing down a real steep ruff hill some time though. (if ya ever can find a place that allows you to do that). It will give you a whole different perspective of your skills. ha ;) Man thats to bad you guys are so restricted as to where you can shoot your guns. Hate to hear that.

Cool vids. Thanks.
Good hunting.

CanyonMan

CM,

Now you got to make a video of shooting the tires. I did a search of youtube and of all the silly stuff on there, and all the times I've heard of people using rolling tires as a target I couldn't find a video of it.

CanyonMan
06-21-2010, 08:14
CM,

Now you got to make a video of shooting the tires. I did a search of youtube and of all the silly stuff on there, and all the times I've heard of people using rolling tires as a target I couldn't find a video of it.

LOL...

Yeh right ! Problem is, then the whole world could see how often I miss ! :embarassed:

Man I tell ya what. People that think their such hot shots, and I have seen a bunch of them through out my life. They always get real sweaty and nervous looking when you take them out here to "the hill" (favorite place on the ranch for doing this) and tell them to hit the card board in the tire. Man talk about excuses ! :wow:

Let's just say "The TIRE" wins most of the time ! :supergrin:

Note Here*** I have seen doing this with certain folks cause them to not be so quick any more to shoot at "fast running" game (deer/elk). ;)

Stay safe amigo.

CanyonMan

vafish
06-21-2010, 14:40
CM,

I didn't say it needed to be a video of you shooting the tire. If you are using the camera making the video it needs to be someone else shooting.

CanyonMan
06-22-2010, 06:49
CM,

I didn't say it needed to be a video of you shooting the tire. If you are using the camera making the video it needs to be someone else shooting.

Gottcha ! ;)

Man if I had thought of that years ago when we had clients try this, 'even some friends', boy I could have won some $$$ on a home video show. haha. It wasn't the misses that were so funny, it is all the excuses, and red faces and other actions that got me. What a pride buster on some folks ! :rofl:

I'll keep this in mind amigo.

Stay safe !

CM