Para Ordinance reputation? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Para Ordinance reputation?

dreis454
06-12-2010, 06:07
My local gun shop has some nice Para's @ some decent prices.
I never see anyone talking about them or bashing them.

Should I consider one for my first 1911?:dunno:
I only buy .45 ACP...no other calibers.

bac1023
06-12-2010, 06:23
They're average, IMO. Nothing great, but reliable single stack full size models. I don't do the small stuff or double stacks.

I haven't had any reliability issue with either of mine.

I've got a 1911 Limited and GI Expert.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu81/ollituc/002-15.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/bac1023/000_2488-1.jpg

Which models are you looking at?

dreis454
06-12-2010, 07:08
http://www.riverviewsales.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PCWX745S&Category_Code=PST-PAR
OR
http://www.riverviewsales.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PCX745R&Category_Code=PST-PAR

BAC,when you say 'average',do you mean overall quality?
To me they are nice LOOKING guns but with my very limited exp. in 1911s should I look @ something like a Colt Defender instead?

Rinspeed
06-12-2010, 07:36
My opinion is there are much better choices in the same price range or even less.

keninnavarre
06-12-2010, 07:42
A friend has a compact Para, with 3.5 barrel, its been nothing but problems for him.

I had good reliability from a Para LTC (commander length barrel) .
My Para had a finish that rubbed off in places the first day of shooting! Also shot 4 inches low with just about ANY load at 15 yards. So-so fit, lots of play on slide to frame fit, plastic trigger. I paid $465 on a closeout deal, and dont consider I got a great deal.
My opinion, Para has an over priced product, for their quality.

I would buy another, at Rock Island prices, not Paras. I actually think my Taurus is a little better gun than my Para. (did I say that out loud?:whistling:)

Trey83
06-12-2010, 08:09
I actually think my Taurus is a little better gun than my Para. (did I say that out loud?:whistling:)
Ouch.

I held a couple of used Paras at my local GS. I was not overly impressed and decided to look elswhere. I was however surprised at how light the LDA trigger system is, I just decided if your going to go 1911 it should be SA. BTW they were asking for $600-$850 for some heavily used models :upeyes:

bac1023
06-12-2010, 08:10
A friend has a compact Para, with 3.5 barrel, its been nothing but problems for him.

Well, yeah, do not get the small Paras.

I had a Warthog and it was the worse 1911 I ever owned.

...if you can even call it a 1911.

bac1023
06-12-2010, 08:13
http://www.riverviewsales.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PCWX745S&Category_Code=PST-PAR
OR
http://www.riverviewsales.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PCX745R&Category_Code=PST-PAR

BAC,when you say 'average',do you mean overall quality?
To me they are nice LOOKING guns but with my very limited exp. in 1911s should I look @ something like a Colt Defender instead?

They are decent looking 1911s for sure. I mean quality.

As far as the two you're looking at, the bottom one is the only one I'd ever consider. You're asking for trouble with the 3.5" barrel.

As far as the defender is concerned, do you want a small 1911 or will a commander be fine?

The second Para you listed is a commander. I don't buy 1911s with barrels shorter than 4".

keninnavarre
06-12-2010, 08:28
Ouch.

I held a couple of used Paras at my local GS. I was not overly impressed and decided to look elswhere. I was however surprised at how light the LDA trigger system is, I just decided if your going to go 1911 it should be SA. BTW they were asking for $600-$850 for some heavily used models :upeyes:

Yeah, sorry bout the Taurus dig. I had a slight run in with the Para service dept, kind of turned me off from Para. When I took my then-new Para LTC to the range and found it shooting un acceptably low at 15 yards(around 4 inches), I got in touch with Para. Mentioned the problem, and tried to find out the proper sight set up, to change sight height. Ask them about the sight cut dimensions, and if I could buy sights from them, with different height.

To make a long story short, after 3 emails and 2 phone calls, all I got was "send us the gun, we will try to fix it". Lot of trouble for a <$500 pistol.
Sorry for the rant.
On the bright side, I traded for more than I had in the thing.(I did tell the guy I traded with about the sights, he said he would file the front)

samuse
06-12-2010, 08:46
I'm just gonna throw it out there... Para has a reputation for making cast junk that's not worth owning. Their "power extractor" is a stupid idea and their finishes absolutely suck. If you buy a Para, don't even worry about resale, you won't be able to give it away. Honestly. Have someone who knows 1911's help you pick out a good, basic Colt or Springfield.

bac1023
06-12-2010, 08:49
I'm just gonna throw it out there... Para has a reputation for making cast junk that's not worth owning. Their "power extractor" is a stupid idea and their finishes absolutely suck. If you buy a Para, don't even worry about resale, you won't be able to give it away. Honestly. Have someone who knows 1911's help you pick out a good, basic Colt or Springfield.

Ouch!

I don't think Para is this bad, but Colt, Kimber, and Springfield are better for sure.

samuse
06-12-2010, 09:24
They're probably not that bad, but the few that I've been exposed to were really shoddy pieces. I had an LTC9mm a couple of years ago and it ran with ball, but the fit was rough and the finish literally came off in my hand. My buddy had a 5" single stack that wouldn't run very well with any combo of mags and ball ammo, so it got ditched for an XD. I have another buddy with a 2-tone, 5" double stack LDA. That thing is a hideous abomination that is a vulgar disgrace to JMB and America in general. :rofl:. Get a Colt:supergrin:

MD357
06-12-2010, 13:31
If I had a choice between a Para and a PT1911, I'd choose a Hi-point.

I keed.... I keeeed. :rofl:

No... really.

dreis454
06-12-2010, 13:34
Thanx guys,this is what I needed to know.
I guess since I am about 20 minutes from the Colt factory,it makes sense that maybe I stick to a Colt.

BTW I am even closer to the S&W plant.....

yeah,look up Enfield,CT on a map....10 miles from Springfield,MA & 20 from Hartford,CT

Don Glock
06-12-2010, 14:36
i have a para gi expert that i'm about to sell for a SA mil spec. i had an issue with the extractor and called para, only to find out their cust serv seriously sucks. they told me i would have to pay to ship the whole gun when all i needed was an extractor. either that, or "buy another off of brownells". (yep, they actually told me that!)

"gold medallion lifetime warranty" my ass.

the only thing i'm giving up for the milspec is accuracy. the gi expert is more accurate than any mil spec i've fired. nothing an EGW bushing can't remedy, though.

SouthpawShootr
06-12-2010, 14:36
I have 2 of their high capacity models, the Tac-Four and the P13 (pretty much the same gun, just the TF is LDA and the P13 is more of a high cap 1911). Both of these guns were undersprung. I had reliability issues until I replaced the mag springs and the recoil springs for both guns.:shocked:

My other Para-Ord is an LDA CCW. Pretty neat little single stack. Officer's sized frame and commander length barrel/slide. I get along ok with it, but prefer the single action of a true 1911.

I think Paras are ok and they make some nice looking stuff, but they're not living up to their potential. They could be much better with little more effort.

dreis454
06-12-2010, 14:41
OK guys,how 'bout one of these?

http://www.coltsmfg.com/products-c5-q7-COLT_PISTOLS.aspx#

Don Glock
06-12-2010, 14:50

get a SA MC Operator. MUCH better fit quality than that colt. (no plastic parts either)

HAIL CAESAR
06-12-2010, 14:56
With so many good 1911's on the market the purchase of a Para makes little sense.

Infallible
06-12-2010, 15:13

they are a fine gun, a little sharp along the edges in the finish department but overall a very nice gun. I'm biased because I like American made 1911s of which the Colt is one of. As for the Springfield Operator, its another fine firearm. I'd rather have the American made Colt.

bac1023
06-12-2010, 15:38
If I had a choice between a Para and a PT1911, I'd choose a Hi-point.

I keed.... I keeeed. :rofl:

No... really.

:rofl:

CDR_Glock
06-13-2010, 09:58
My local gun shop has some nice Para's @ some decent prices.
I never see anyone talking about them or bashing them.

Should I consider one for my first 1911?:dunno:
I only buy .45 ACP...no other calibers.

I have a Para P-14, originally made in Canada. In the mid 1990s, it was the only high cap 45. I figured what the heck, my Sig P220 only did 8+1. I like the fuller sized handle.

I had some extractor issues before but I took it to a gunsmith who worked on it. He polished the slide, replaced the guide rod and spring and I have had no problems.

Now, Mine has been accurate and takes any ammo I feed it. I won't replace mine. With 14+1, it has the 45 ACP advantage with the capacity of my 40 S&W. I would love to get a P-14 Stainless some day.

I have no familiarity with their guns since the new Millenium (ie US made). I heard reports that the power extractors are unreliable. So the new Paras I would avoid. If I had the desire to shoot 45 ACP in anything else, it would be a G30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CDR_Glock
06-13-2010, 10:03
My friend has a Colt Defender and it is accurate, reliable and comfortable to shoot.

One of his magazines had consistently had a FTE. That was a defective mag.

I haven't had issues shooting 1911s with shorter barrels. I would not mind a Kimber Raptor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bac1023
06-13-2010, 11:16
I have a Para P-14, originally made in Canada. In the mid 1990s, it was the only high cap 45. I figured what the heck, my Sig P220 only did 8+1. I like the fuller sized handle.

I had some extractor issues before but I took it to a gunsmith who worked on it. He polished the slide, replaced the guide rod and spring and I have had no problems.

Now, Mine has been accurate and takes any ammo I feed it. I won't replace mine. With 14+1, it has the 45 ACP advantage with the capacity of my 40 S&W. I would love to get a P-14 Stainless some day.

I have no familiarity with their guns since the new Millenium (ie US made). I heard reports that the power extractors are unreliable. So the new Paras I would avoid. If I had the desire to shoot 45 ACP in anything else, it would be a G30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkthey only recently started building guns in the US last year. My two Paras were built in 2007 and early 2009 and both were built in Cananda.

BlayGlock
06-13-2010, 11:43
Para customer service is some of the worst I have ever had to deal with. Also I have not ever been impressed with thier workmanship. PAss on the Para and get something better.

Have you looked at STI?

joebalama
06-17-2010, 20:38
I was actually going to do a trade for a Para 1911 last week, but did different deal with some one else. Now that I have read this, I'm glad I did what I did.

lawdog734
06-18-2010, 00:16
A local PD was testing them and they had three "major" failures, one of which was the hammer broke and hit the officer in the face as he was shooting. Now they are looking at XD's

Don Glock
06-18-2010, 00:58
A local PD was testing them and they had three "major" failures, one of which was the hammer broke and hit the officer in the face as he was shooting. Now they are looking at XD's

not an upgrade.....

MD357
06-18-2010, 01:07
not an upgrade.....

I think most normal people would consider XDs a decent platform relative to Para 1911s. :supergrin: Rather, Springfield has a really good track record.

keninnavarre
06-18-2010, 11:02
I think most normal people would consider XDs a decent platform relative to Para 1911s. :supergrin: Rather, Springfield has a really good track record.

Your right, nothing wrong with XD. And Springfield C.S. has ALWAYS been a pleasure to deal with, in my experience.