Going a different direction with most future 1911 purchases... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Going a different direction with most future 1911 purchases...

bac1023
06-12-2010, 21:47
Guys, last month I started this thread stating that my 1911 collection had virtually no presence at all when it came to true classic examples of the model.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1221232

While I own a bunch of classic revolvers and non-1911 autos, my 1911 collection is virtually all modern. The only exceptions being two USGIs, an AMT Hardballer, and a Detonics ServiceMaster. My recent Valtro is older, but certainly not old enough to be a "classic". My collection needs some classics before its totally complete. I feel strongly about this, so much so, that I want most of my remaining 1911 purchases to fill this void. Believe me, I do feel we are currently in the golden age of the 1911, with so many options available in all price ranges. Generally speaking, the 1911s of today are much better than 1911s of twenty, thirty, or fifty years ago. However, I want to be able to appreciate the 1911 for what is was, not just was it is.

I started by winning this auction. :supergrin:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=173430688

I've never seen a finer example of a classic Gold Cup NM. As you can see, I paid a good penny, but how often do you see unfired pre Series 70 Colt Gold Cup National Match 1911s? As you can also see, its complete with the original box, papers, and a test target dated 1967. Even the box looks great. Furthermore, there are some well used Colt NMs of similar vintage going for nearly as much on GB. This may be the nicest 43 year old 1911 I've ever seen. :wow:

While it sat at the top of the 1911 "food chain" in 1967, its certainly not a high end model by today's standards. However, this brings a presence to my 1911 collection that even some of the best 1911s in the world can't. Until now, I bought nothing quite like this. Furthmore, when it comes specifically to Colt, they were better in 1967. Value on this will just continue to rise over the years.

This makes 52 1911s, leaving me room for eight more on my 1911 shelves before I'm calling it quits from a 1911 standpoint. I already have the Morris Tactical Elite, Remington R1, and EMF Hartford on order. I should have all three over the next few months, leaving me room for five more. Out of those five, I'd like three or four to be in this flavor. Not $2300 models, but classics nontheless.

I'd like a Randall, at least one more classic Colt such as an old commercial Government model, an older Springfield from the 1980's or so, and maybe even an older series I Kimber. I know the Kimber is no classic, but I do like the older models, such as a Classic Custom series I. I own no series I Kimber at this point. I'm also thinking about a nice USFA Government model as well.

I'm not ruling out another USGI to go with my Ithaca and Remington Rand, but this is really about commercial models.

My point is that I'm not looking for another full custom build, semi custom, or new production 1911. After my recent flurry of customs and semi customs this month, and with the Morris on the way, I'm very content with that part of my collection. I'm leaving a space or two open for something that may interest me down the road. I'm still considering a Baer TRS and/or a Springfield Pro. One space could also be left for Ruger, should they ever introduce a 1911. However, after these next three come in, I consider my modern 1911 collection complete for all intents and purposes.

Its the classics that I seriously lack.

Now a few questions...

Does this make sense to anyone?

Is this the right choice to make? I know it is for me personally, but I wanted to know who agrees and who would do the same. :dunno:

Finally, what does everyone think of the 1967 National Match I just won? :supergrin: Pics to follow on that once I have it.

As always, your responses are appreciated. Thanks in advance. :wavey:

Steel Head
06-12-2010, 22:03
Your present collection is kinda like modern European and American high end cars-Caddy Corvette BMW Mercedes Ferrari and a Rolls and Bentley or two
now you own a 67 GTX-kinda rough yet classy and powerful
I'm so proud of you:wavey: and I still lust over your P7 40:supergrin:

Ruggles
06-12-2010, 22:06
"This makes 52 1911s, leaving me room for eight more on my 1911 shelves before I'm calling it quits from a 1911 standpoint."

Whatever helps you sleep at night....calling it quits....suuuurrrreeee you are........

That Colt is classic, simply a piece of history :)

shays4me
06-12-2010, 22:16
This makes all the sense in the world to me. If money ever becomes a non-issue for me, I'll be looking for the nicest, oldest Colt government I can get my hands on. Kinda like the one I have now, only perfect. There's nopt that many of them out there, but they're available and are much cooler than anything built today. Not as nice, but much nicer, if you're on my vibe. I'd LOVE to have one from around 1912ish with the original old Colt blueing.

Jim Watson
06-12-2010, 22:17
Now how about a 1936 National Match?

jrs93accord
06-12-2010, 22:29
Brian, there is nothing like having some classic 1911s. As you know, I have a few classic Colts in my collection, of which I am very proud to own. In most cases, I would prefer to pay good money for a classic 1911 than I would a new one. Shop away big guy. There are plenty more out there for you. Congrats on the Gold Cup. It looks beautiful.

RMTactical
06-12-2010, 22:31
"This makes 52 1911s, leaving me room for eight more on my 1911 shelves before I'm calling it quits from a 1911 standpoint."

Whatever helps you sleep at night....calling it quits....suuuurrrreeee you are........

Yeah, not sure you'll be able to call it quits permanently.

Graves
06-12-2010, 22:34
The half moon on that frame should hike the value a bit...
I keed lol

Ruggles
06-12-2010, 22:35

It just hit me.....

You do not have enough room for many new 1911s.......we being a good group of guys the thought came to me.......two words for you....

Foster Homes....

I can take say 4-5 1911s in for you on a temporary basis of course.....

Anybody else care to help?

Ruggles
06-12-2010, 22:36
I keed lol

What is the significant of that?

Graves
06-12-2010, 22:50
What is the significance of that?

Fixed.

I'm sure every post you've ever made here is nothing but significant... Oh wait, I just looked. :upeyes:
Pipe down mate, unlike some here bac's a good sport and I was just poking some fun. I'm sure he'll be very pleased with his decision to go after some of the classics.

bac1023
06-12-2010, 23:09
Now how about a 1936 National Match?

Yeah, I've been looking at them too. :)

Here's one here.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=172990079

CMG
06-12-2010, 23:23
Nice!

If you intend to shoot it much, replace the rear sight pin with a piece of drill-rod, they are notorious for breaking. (Mine did)

Hokie1911
06-12-2010, 23:34
You obviously are out of room. You can just keep on buying them and keep them at my house. I have plenty of room here. I feel confident I can have Quack assist me and make sure they are fed, well maintained, and taken out to play. :supergrin:

drc767
06-13-2010, 04:50
As with a good collection of anything, it becomes more complete when you have old, new and custom pieces. Look at someone like Jay Leno and his car collection. If you have ever seen a detailed account of his collection, which is pretty extensive, you will see he has everything from unmolested early example of a Ford to the newest exotic sportscar. In that, he has also built some very serious custom rides that would make you drool. I believe that if it is a true homage to anything, the history of whatever you are collecting is vital.....Certainly, the 1911 collection would not be complete unless you can have a couple examples of the wonderful, original history of how this weapon went from a basic, well thought out design to a design that has been tweeked into one of the sexiest, most labor intensive pistols available. I can definately see where your going with your thought process. It is awesome to hold a full blown custom in your hands, but to me, put an original WWII 1911 in my hand and I immediately picture in my mind all of the history that specific pistol represents.....If those pistols could only talk, they could tell us countless stories that have never been told about the history of our country.....There is something very cool about that which no custom will ever bring to the table, in my opinion.

bac1023
06-13-2010, 05:43
As with a good collection of anything, it becomes more complete when you have old, new and custom pieces. Look at someone like Jay Leno and his car collection. If you have ever seen a detailed account of his collection, which is pretty extensive, you will see he has everything from unmolested early example of a Ford to the newest exotic sportscar. In that, he has also built some very serious custom rides that would make you drool. I believe that if it is a true homage to anything, the history of whatever you are collecting is vital.....Certainly, the 1911 collection would not be complete unless you can have a couple examples of the wonderful, original history of how this weapon went from a basic, well thought out design to a design that has been tweeked into one of the sexiest, most labor intensive pistols available. I can definately see where your going with your thought process. It is awesome to hold a full blown custom in your hands, but to me, put an original WWII 1911 in my hand and I immediately picture in my mind all of the history that specific pistol represents.....If those pistols could only talk, they could tell us countless stories that have never been told about the history of our country.....There is something very cool about that which no custom will ever bring to the table, in my opinion.

Very well said, Dave. :)

I often wonder where some of these older pistols have been and what they have done over the years.

Tactical black
06-13-2010, 06:28
I think it makes a lot of since to round out your collection and the Colt you just bought is beautiful but like a few other mentioned I have a hard time believing your gonna stop with five more I know you collect many of other type of guns but you have a soft spot for the 1911 and I think you'll always be tempted by new models that come out but maybe you can control it but I will be surprised if five more is it. But anyways I look forward to seeing the next 8 or 10 or 20 1911's you have come in. :cool:

FreeAmerican
06-13-2010, 06:35
Nice Gold Cup. It would be hard for me not to shoot it. Even though it may not had the features of some of the current 1911's, I have seen out of the box GC's @ 50 yards out shoot Springers and Kimbers at @25.

In the classic 1911 collector world there are a couple of holy grails and you have the funds to get one.

1. Org Colt Commander, I am talking the first ones from the 50's 9mm lightweight frame
2. 30's Colt Super 38 Look at these pics, http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://seekblue.com/pics/507.lob1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D245702&usg=__IWy1CpxcOnDfRAq0Chw1saxqslQ=&h=413&w=750&sz=54&hl=en&start=19&sig2=W6DW21UbqCBbxaVTUps3uQ&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=LRSAuV2BXpCvvM:&tbnh=78&tbnw=141&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcolt%2Bsuper%2B38%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26tbs%3Disch:1&ei=I84UTOm1BoXGlQeQtf2UDA

3. How about a 1911 Navy, Org 1911 for the first Navy contract http://i44.tinypic.com/531u2q.jpg

4 How about a Colt 1911 NM (not the Gold Cup) When the Army sent boys to shoot Camp Perry they would use armory prepped NM guns. The slide, bushing, barrel etc where all fitted NM parts with cage no.s The trigger guard should have a piece of tape showing the trigger LB. Diff years got diff sights and front strap treatment. Later the NRA and CMP sold these guns. A classic that was shot by Army marksmen at Camp Perry! That makes my nippies hard!
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_XCkTSf0swcQ/STLF-8-mpUI/AAAAAAAAEoo/7085wW0yb90/s320/ColtNATIONALMATCHM1911A1.jpg

bac1023
06-13-2010, 06:39

Well guys, let me clarify...

I plan to slow it down big time. In fact, I'd like to stretch out my remaining 1911 purchases and remaining gun purchases over time. I will pick up the three I mentioned this year, but that will be it for this year. I've spent more than I wanted to already and the year isn't even half over yet. So look for things to slow down in a big way.

Plus, I want James to pass me. :supergrin:

bac1023
06-13-2010, 06:41
I think it makes a lot of since to round out your collection and the Colt you just bought is beautiful but like a few other mentioned I have a hard time believing your gonna stop with five more I know you collect many of other type of guns but you have a soft spot for the 1911 and I think you'll always be tempted by new models that come out but maybe you can control it but I will be surprised if five more is it. But anyways I look forward to seeing the next 8 or 10 or 20 1911's you have come in. :cool:
:)

I hear you, but 60 1911s is way too many as it is. :faint:

bac1023
06-13-2010, 06:43
Nice Gold Cup. It would be hard for me not to shoot it. Even though it may not had the features of some of the current 1911's, I have seen out of the box GC's @ 50 yards out shoot Springers and Kimbers at @25.

In the classic 1911 collector world there are a couple of holy grails and you have the funds to get one.

1. Org Colt Commander, I am talking the first ones from the 50's 9mm lightweight frame
2. 30's Colt Super 38 Look at these pics, http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://seekblue.com/pics/507.lob1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D245702&usg=__IWy1CpxcOnDfRAq0Chw1saxqslQ=&h=413&w=750&sz=54&hl=en&start=19&sig2=W6DW21UbqCBbxaVTUps3uQ&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=LRSAuV2BXpCvvM:&tbnh=78&tbnw=141&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcolt%2Bsuper%2B38%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26tbs%3Disch:1&ei=I84UTOm1BoXGlQeQtf2UDA

3. How about a 1911 Navy, Org 1911 for the first Navy contract http://i44.tinypic.com/531u2q.jpg

4 How about a Colt 1911 NM (not the Gold Cup) When the Army sent boys to shoot Camp Perry they would use armory prepped NM guns. The slide, bushing, barrel etc where all fitted NM parts with cage no.s The trigger guard should have a piece of tape showing the trigger LB. Diff years got diff sights and front strap treatment. Later the NRA and CMP sold these guns. A classic that was shot by Army marksmen at Camp Perry! That makes my nippies hard!
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_XCkTSf0swcQ/STLF-8-mpUI/AAAAAAAAEoo/7085wW0yb90/s320/ColtNATIONALMATCHM1911A1.jpg

Yeah, very nice choices.

I do really like the early pre Gold Cup National Match Colts.

FreeAmerican
06-13-2010, 06:44

Here's one here.

Something doesn't look right about that one. The color of the blue and some of the lines don't look crisp. Notice the pic of the left side, the half moon behind the trigger is not sharp. Then look at this one.

http://www.coolgunsite.com/nm_comm/colt_n12.jpg

There are known people on GB that have passed off some classics of question. Buyer be ware.

bac1023
06-13-2010, 06:47
Something doesn't look right about that one. The color of the blue and some of the lines don't look crisp. Notice the pic of the left side, the half moon behind the trigger is not sharp. Then look at this one.

http://www.coolgunsite.com/nm_comm/colt_n12.jpg

There are known people on GB that have passed off some classics of question. Buyer be ware.

Oh yeah, you definitely have to know what you're looking at for sure.

bac1023
06-13-2010, 06:48
I keed lol

:rofl:

Well, its an 1911A1 frame. :)

auto45
06-13-2010, 07:05
I'd go "classic" also.

In fact, if I owned your impressive collection I could "see myself" paring down the more similiar custom 1911's after so many years, and "investing" more in the classic/collectable styles.

Just IMHO of course...you can't go wrong either way. :supergrin:

Hawker Man
06-13-2010, 07:09

Here's one here.

BAC
I'm no expert but this gun looks re-blued to me. Also, those auction pictures suck. If I were selling a all original gun like that the pictures would be stellar, it would only help the auction, on the other hand those pictures look like he is trying to cover up a re-blue. He didn't even clean/wipe his greasy finger prints from the gun.
Again, I'm no expert.
Tom

Hawker Man
06-13-2010, 07:14
BAC:
Now on to another classic I think you are missing;
A Randall, left handed.
Here is a like to some history;
http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/randall_history.htm

Tom

Quack
06-13-2010, 07:18
you'll slow down for the year, but then 2011 comes along and you get the itch for the special models ;)

bac1023
06-13-2010, 08:11
you'll slow down for the year, but then 2011 comes along and you get the itch for the special models ;)

Maybe so Quack, but I've spent far too much as it is. :embarassed:

I'll pick up a couple in 2011 for sure, but I'd like to stretch this out. Besides, there are other guns I want as well. :)

bac1023
06-13-2010, 08:13
BAC:
Now on to another classic I think you are missing;
A Randall, left handed.
Here is a like to some history;
http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/randall_history.htm

Tom

Thanks Tom.

I do want a Randall, but it won't be the lefty. :)

I do think its cool they built one though.

drc767
06-13-2010, 08:13

I'll pick up a couple in 2011 for sure, but I'd like to stretch this out. Besides, there are other guns I want as well. :)

They start adding up real damn quick, don't they?? :)

Quack
06-13-2010, 08:14

I hear dem Glock's are da gun of the future :whistling::rofl:

bac1023
06-13-2010, 08:16

Yeah, its a neat concept, but I wonder if they'll ever catch on. :dunno:

Time well tell... :whistling:

bac1023
06-13-2010, 08:20
They start adding up real damn quick, don't they?? :)

You're not kidding Dave. :shocked:

Its a very expensive hobby. I have this Colt coming soon and the Morris that's already paid for. After that, the Remington and EMF are about $1000 together, and that's it for this year. In fact, I'll wait a couple months to pick them up. Maybe one in August or September and the other in October or November.

Enough is enough this year. :faint:

I'm way over the budget I set for myself, but the Colt was hard to resist. What I do in times like this is stop looking at Gunbroker. :wavey:

Not only that, but I'd like to spend more time actually shooting. ;)

Ruggles
06-13-2010, 09:07
Fixed.

I'm sure every post you've ever made here is nothing but significant... Oh wait, I just looked. :upeyes:
Pipe down mate, unlike some here bac's a good sport and I was just poking some fun. I'm sure he'll be very pleased with his decision to go after some of the classics.

:dunno:

It was a honest question, what does the half moon on the frame mean value wise? Maybe you were born with the knowledge but I was not so I am just asking to learn. Maybe I missed the joke.

Why the personal attack for me just asking a question? :dunno: I supported his decision to buy some classics (including some classic Kimbers) back in his OP that he linked here.

bac1023
06-13-2010, 09:16
I'd go "classic" also.

In fact, if I owned your impressive collection I could "see myself" paring down the more similiar custom 1911's after so many years, and "investing" more in the classic/collectable styles.

Just IMHO of course...you can't go wrong either way. :supergrin:

I hear you and it makes sense. That said, if I'm going to sell anything, it won't be a 1911. :)

lawdog734
06-13-2010, 09:18
I understand your choice. I own a kimber raptor and a sig rcs. I wanted a high end (Baer or Brown) that I was going to use as a carry gun but my friend is a WWII collector and offered a really nice Colt 1911 from that era. Although I am not really a collector I couldn't pass it up and I am very happy with it.

bac1023
06-13-2010, 09:35
I understand your choice. I own a kimber raptor and a sig rcs. I wanted a high end (Baer or Brown) that I was going to use as a carry gun but my friend is a WWII collector and offered a really nice Colt 1911 from that era. Although I am not really a collector I couldn't pass it up and I am very happy with it.

Glad to hear. Those USGIs are awesome pieces of history. :)

chakup
06-13-2010, 09:38
I'm there. My collection is nowhere near yours, mostly newer Springfields. I've been drawn more and more to the classics though. I can't afford some of those ones, so just been looking at what I can (scored on an early 90's Springfield Custom that is very nice and simple).

Hokie1911
06-13-2010, 09:39
You're not kidding Dave. :shocked:

Its a very expensive hobby. I have this Colt coming soon and the Morris that's already paid for. After that, the Remington and EMF are about $1000 together, and that's it for this year. In fact, I'll wait a couple months to pick them up. Maybe one in August or September and the other in October or November.

Enough is enough this year. :faint:

I'm way over the budget I set for myself, but the Colt was hard to resist. What I do in times like this is stop looking at Gunbroker. :wavey:

Not only that, but I'd like to spend more time actually shooting. ;)

Ummmmm, call me skeptical, but I will believe it when I see it. :rofl:

bac1023
06-13-2010, 10:09
Ummmmm, call me skeptical, but I will believe it when I see it. :rofl:

RonS
06-13-2010, 18:25
If I could own one 1911, it would be a Pre War commercial NM. If I had the money to commission a Yost, it would be a replica of one using the best parts available. I don't ever recall you posting pictures of one, although I may have missed it. With inflation, two cents isn't worth much anymore, but there is mine.

bac1023
06-13-2010, 19:40
If I could own one 1911, it would be a Pre War commercial NM. If I had the money to commission a Yost, it would be a replica of one using the best parts available. I don't ever recall you posting pictures of one, although I may have missed it. With inflation, two cents isn't worth much anymore, but there is mine.

I'd like to get a 1930's era NM myself.

jethro21
06-14-2010, 00:23
Bac, did you see this in the classifieds here, http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1231822 ?

fistpoint
06-14-2010, 00:30
Build more shelves...problem solved.

bac1023
06-14-2010, 04:28
Build more shelves...problem solved.

jrs93accord
06-14-2010, 06:06
Bac, did you see this in the classifieds here, http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1231822 ?

That one is prettier than my '67 model.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/651/002rt.jpg (http://img171.imageshack.us/i/002rt.jpg/)

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/5798/001eyow.jpg (http://img21.imageshack.us/i/001eyow.jpg/)

bac1023
06-14-2010, 17:25
That one is prettier than my '67 model.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/651/002rt.jpg (http://img171.imageshack.us/i/002rt.jpg/)

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/5798/001eyow.jpg (http://img21.imageshack.us/i/001eyow.jpg/)

Very nice James.

That's the same year the Gold Cup I bought was built. :)

gruntmedik
06-14-2010, 21:57
I agree with your desire to add some classics. I would love to have a Colt made in 67, as it's my birth year. The older models just have an air of class about them. Dare I say a sexiness? Don't get me wrong, there are more quality 1911's today than ever, as evidenced by your collection, but it's kinda like the MILF vs the hot young thing--both are great in their own way. :supergrin:

bac1023
06-15-2010, 04:10
I agree with your desire to add some classics. I would love to have a Colt made in 67, as it's my birth year. The older models just have an air of class about them. Dare I say a sexiness? Don't get me wrong, there are more quality 1911's today than ever, as evidenced by your collection, but it's kinda like the MILF vs the hot young thing--both are great in their own way. :supergrin:

No doubt. :)

Dean22
06-15-2010, 06:34
Bac,
Do you have any pictures of your whole collection? Or are they the all hidden in different places around your house...:whistling:
Love reading your reviews and such by the way, I plan on blaming you when i finally save up enough and take the plunge to getting a new No Name :tongueout:

Tactical black
06-15-2010, 10:09
This is an outdated pic now.

Well, here are the 1911 family pics I've been promising for quite a while. I mentioned that as soon as I got my Pistol Dynamics, I would take the pics and I'm keeping my word. Its the first family 1911 pic I've taken in nearly three years and I'm hoping it doesn't disappoint.

I'm not good at taking group pics, so these will have to do. I laid them out and then stood on a chair to shoot them. They aren't in any specific order, other than keeping like brands together. I tried to mix all price ranges into each row.

Instead of just posting a boring key right away, can anyone name all of them? ;)

In fact, I'm not sure who uses the GT casino, but I'm transferring a million casino dollars to whoever can name three dozen first. That really shouldn't be hard to do, as many of you really know your 1911s. Just the company and model name will be fine, don't worry about finish, model number, etc.

I'll post the full key once somebody names three dozen of them. If nobody gets it by late afternoon, I'll just post the key the give the cash to whoever got the most, whether its 30 or 10.

If nobody wants to try, I'll post the key later on today, but come on, have some fun. That's what GT is all about, isn't it? :supergrin: Of course, who knows, maybe nobody plays the casino.

Anyway, enjoy the pics...

Edit: Here's the key. I just realized how dumb these pics look without the description...

Top row: Springfield TRP, Springfield GI, Springfield TGO1, Infinity custom build, Para GI Expert, Para 1911 Limited, Sig STX, Dan Wesson Valor, Dan Wesson CBOB

2nd row: Thompson Custom 1911, Auto Ordnance GI, Colt Commander XSE, Colt Special Combat Government, Colt Gold Cup, Nighthawk Predator II, Nighthawk Enforcer, Pistol Dynamics custom build, Taurus PT 1911

3rd row: Les Baer SRP, Les Baer Concept V, Ed Brown Classic Custom, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, Firestorm DLX, Rock Island Armory GI, Norinco GI, Smith & Wesson SW1911, Smith & Wesson PC1911

4th row: Volkmann Combat Custom, Kimber Pro CDP II, Kimber Custom II, Kimber Super Match II, Yost custom build, AMT Hardballer, Unertl DLX, Ithaca USGI, Remington Rand USGI,

Bottom Row: Charles Daly EFS, Wilson Super Grade, Wilson CQB, Detonics ServiceMaster, Rock River Arms Limited Match, STI Trojan, STI Spartan, STI Legacy, Fusion Commander Elite

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/6882/003a.jpg

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/551/004ay.jpg

I apologize in advance for the lousy quality. As I mentioned before, I'm terrible with large pics, which is one reason I don't try to do it often. :embarassed:

Nestor
06-15-2010, 12:03
Quality of the pictures of the Bac's collection is as good as possible IMO.
It's really difficult to take a good shot of 1 acre area while hanging head down, bat style from your ceiling :supergrin:

Dean22
06-15-2010, 12:14
Quality of the pictures of the Bac's collection is as good as possible IMO.
It's really difficult to take a good shot of 1 acre area while hanging head down, bat style from your ceiling :supergrin:

I have to agree, although that picture is definitely outdated and looking like a little less than half of his collection if I'm not mistaken. He might need a lighting team for a recent one. :supergrin:

bac1023
06-15-2010, 17:46
I have to agree, although that picture is definitely outdated and looking like a little less than half of his collection if I'm not mistaken. He might need a lighting team for a recent one. :supergrin:

Dean, to answer you're question, no, I don't have a recent 1911 family pic. Those are missing 7 or 8 of my best models.

However, I plan on taking another this fall or winter when a few more come in that I have on the way. :)

Dean22
06-15-2010, 19:15
Dean, to answer you're question, no, I don't have a recent 1911 family pic. Those are missing 7 or 8 of my best models.

However, I plan on taking another this fall or winter when a few more come in that I have on the way. :)

Awesome, I'll be sure not to miss it. I'll need a new desktop picture by then :supergrin:

ronin.45
06-15-2010, 19:23
I'm all for the change of direction in your collection. Can't wait to see some of the classics you dig up.

Good find on the Colt!

If 60 is your ultimate number then I recommend getting rid of some of your low price non-collectible 1911s. They sully the group photo anyway.:tongueout:

bac1023
06-15-2010, 21:01
I'm all for the change of direction in your collection. Can't wait to see some of the classics you dig up.

Good find on the Colt!

Thanks!

bac1023
06-15-2010, 21:02
If 60 is your ultimate number then I recommend getting rid of some of your low price non-collectible 1911s. They sully the group photo anyway.:tongueout:

Well, I like to experience all aspects and price points. :)

RetailNinja
06-15-2010, 21:46
is #60 going to be something like a Singer or an Infiniti?

bac1023
06-16-2010, 04:26
is #60 going to be something like a Singer or an Infiniti?

No Singer for me.

I do own an Infinity. :)

bac1023
06-27-2010, 15:29
Looks like the Colt will be at my shop tomorrow.

I'll try to pick it up after work. :)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=173430688

Should be real nice :supergrin:

glock2740
06-27-2010, 16:00
Yeah, especially since they just announced the release of their new 1911.

:couch: :tongueout:

bac1023
06-27-2010, 16:55
Yeah, especially since they just announced the release of their new 1911.

Joenpb
06-27-2010, 19:18
Nice find bac, congratulations. The question is will it ever be fired?

I probably wouldn't.....

bac1023
06-27-2010, 19:41
Nice find bac, congratulations. The question is will it ever be fired?

I probably wouldn't.....

I doubt it.

I have plenty of 1911s to shoot, including another Gold Cup.

I would be very hard for me to shoot something that's remained unfired for 43 years.

I have a Walther P38 from the same year (1967) that I bought unfired from a Walther collector. I've had it for a year now and never fired it. I don't plan to either.

Just like this Colt, even the box looks about new. :cool:

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu81/ollituc/000_2685.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu81/ollituc/000_2687.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu81/ollituc/000_2689.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu81/ollituc/000_2690.jpg

Joenpb
06-27-2010, 21:13
Sweet. :wow::supergrin:

Nestor
06-27-2010, 22:08
Hey Bac I have a question for You.
What's your impression of P38/P1 in terms of ergonomics?
Is this pistol fits your hand nice?
I know about the magazine release BTW ;)

Makoman
06-27-2010, 23:42
Ever consider a Sistema Colt Bac? May not be that collectible now but deifinitely a classic!

okie
06-28-2010, 00:24
Many congrats, Brian:thumbsup:

bac1023
06-28-2010, 04:18
Many congrats, Brian:thumbsup:

Thanks okie :)

bac1023
06-28-2010, 04:19
Hey Bac I have a question for You.
What's your impression of P38/P1 in terms of ergonomics?
Is this pistol fits your hand nice?
I know about the magazine release BTW ;)

Not bad.

I do like the 1911 better though. :)

Chonny
06-29-2010, 02:47
Jeez, nice P38...:bowdown:

bac1023
06-29-2010, 03:03
Jeez, nice P38...:bowdown:

Thanks Chonny :)