Kimber Stainless II and 450 Rounds [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kimber Stainless II and 450 Rounds

shays4me
06-12-2010, 22:56
As a few of you know, I recently purchased a Kimber Stainless II government model pistol. I had a Springfield mil-spec that I wanted to slick up, but it made no sense whatsoever to dump more cash into the Springer when the Kimber was ready to go for the price of the parts alone. So I traded the Springer (it was finicky) straight up on a P38, and bought the Kimber.

From all of the posts I've read in internet land, I had already decided that I wouldn't like the Kimber. It had the series 80 firing pin block and was made of junk MIM parts. Why even bother! Well, I bought it because I couldn't really swing the DW Valor that I wanted in todays economy. I could have bought it, but I decided my kids need shoes, clothes, food, toys, etc., so I took it like a man and ordered the Kimber. Oh, the agony!

The day the gun arrived I was pleasantly surprised to find that the trigger was super sweet. Nicer than any other 1911 that I've ever been allowed to shoot. I was expecting the horrible trigger that everyone knows is associated with the series 80 firing control. I read that the MIM parts are total junk, so I will admit to installing a Wilson Combat bullet proof slide stop before firing a shot. Every other piece is a factory Kimbver except the grips.

I decidede that I needed to break the gun in, so I loaded 500 rounds of Oregon Trail laser cast 230 gr. round nose bullets backed by some red dot that I needed to get rid of. The load was pretty dirty to shoot, but it worked, and that's all that mattered for break in. I had a total of three malfunctions with the gun in 450 rounds fired so far. The first was from a Kimber 8 round mag. The last round popped up out of the magazine and the slide locked back. I can't explain it, I can't even duplicate it, but it happened. The other two were premature slide lock, due to my fat thumb striking the hurky Wilson slide stop while shooting one handed. If I can teach my fat thumb to stay away from that large slide stop, I think that problem will be solved.

I guess the real reason for this post, is to remind other readers to not believe everything they read on forums. Bad reviews perpetuate bad reviews until everyone that is anyone knows all about brand X. Now that I own a Kimber, I understand why they sell so many 1911's. I feel like superman when that gun is in my hand. I can hit anything I point it at, and it goes bang every time. It's very easily my favorite pistol, and now that it's broke in I take it everywhere. My only real gripe is the blankety blank plastic mainspring housing! I will be rectifying that defect soon, I just need to buy more bullets first! I haven't had this much fun with a new gun in ages.

CMG
06-12-2010, 23:27
Sounds like a nice pistol and a great time!

I like the Kimbers I own quite a bit.

samuse
06-13-2010, 09:30
First off, the Kimber does not use the series 80 safety, they use a Swartz safety that i personally don't like, because it is disengaged with the grip safety. If your covering someone, the firing pin safety is disengaged. If the gun falls on the muzzle, the firing pin safety is disengaged.
That being said, I had a Kimber CustomII that was flawless through about 1000 rounds with the 7round Kimber mag and a couple of 7round Springfield mags. I sold the gun to a buddy of mine at about 500 rounds. Right after the 1K mark the Swartz firing pin safety caused a few FTfire(I think he damaged it reassembling the gun, read the manual) and the thumb safety broke. He took it to a smith who pulled the safety stuff and fit an Ed Brown safety and slide stop. The trigger is starting to get a little creepy and heavy(about 1600 rounds into it), so a harder sear and maybe a hammer is gonna be next. Not a bad gun, just required a little maintenance. It is fit much better than most of the Mil-Specs I've seen. In fact it is one of the best fit production 1911s I've handled.