G39 for IDPA? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G39 for IDPA?

oregondrifter
06-13-2010, 10:38
Would my G39 be suitable for IDPA? I would like to improve my skills with my actual CC weapon.

Any modifications or reloading suggestions?

Brand new to IDPA and learning. Thanks, in advance, OD.

David_Ely
06-13-2010, 11:06
You would probably be better served taking a defensive handgun course and using your G39. That's what I did with my G38.

DannyR
06-13-2010, 12:05
You may need a total of 5 or 6 magazines to compete in IDPA. Most stages are 31 rounds or less.

As for reloads, try a 200-gr FMJ over 4.0-gr of Titegroup.

oregondrifter
06-13-2010, 13:34
So, would you use of G38 or even a G37 for IDPA?

DannyR
06-13-2010, 13:54
Use what you carry. I would use a G38 w/G37 magazines for IDPA. I do use a G38 w/G37 magazines in GSSF. I shoot the G38 better than my G37 or G39, but I normally carry the G39 with a G37 spare magazine.

Officer's Match
06-13-2010, 22:05
I will say that my G39 rivals the P2000SK I used to have as the best shooting subcompact I've ever tried.

glockStew
06-13-2010, 22:39
Joe the P, I also sold my 2000sk for the G39, and couldn't be happier. It is my carry gun, and I shoot submaj in GSSF with it. Truthfully, I would not consider shooting IDPA with it, for that I use the G19 with Sevigny sights.

Use what you carry, vs picking a gun specifically for IDPA? For most of us, one leads to the other. I got into IDPA to practice with the HK that I use on duty. I switched to the Glock because it "plays" better.

Steve W.

oregondrifter
06-14-2010, 22:47
Truthfully, I would not consider shooting IDPA with it, for that I use the G19 with Sevigny sights.Steve W.

Steve: Help out the novice here. Why is the G39 a poor choice for IDPA?

Thx-1138
06-15-2010, 09:47
I suppose it all depends on why you're shooting IDPA.

If you're shooting to improve your skill with your carry weapon, then use your carry weapon, with a close approximation of your self-defense ammo, in your carry holster, and under your typical cover garment. You won't win any matches, but you'll get training with what you use.

If you're shooting to try to win matches or get a good score, then you move to a gun that has a high enough capacity to meet the stage requirements, shooting a low-recoil ammo, in an IDPA-legal OWB holster, with a nominal cover garment. You'll get better scores, and much of the practice will be applicable to your carry setup, but your practice on drawing, shooting, reloading and holstering will have varying degrees of applicability to your actual carry setup in inverse proportion to the difference between your carry rig and your IDPA rig.

oregondrifter
06-15-2010, 10:17
I suppose it all depends on why you're shooting IDPA.

If you're shooting to improve your skill with your carry weapon, then use your carry weapon, with a close approximation of your self-defense ammo, in your carry holster, and under your typical cover garment. You won't win any matches, but you'll get training with what you use.

If you're shooting to try to win matches or get a good score, then you move to a gun that has a high enough capacity to meet the stage requirements, shooting a low-recoil ammo, in an IDPA-legal OWB holster, with a nominal cover garment. You'll get better scores, and much of the practice will be applicable to your carry setup, but your practice on drawing, shooting, reloading and holstering will have varying degrees of applicability to your actual carry setup in inverse proportion to the difference between your carry rig and your IDPA rig.

Thank you. That is exactually what I wanted to know. For now, I am shooting to improve my skills with my carry weapon, which is, of course, a G39.

Will I be allowed (or is it practical) to use the G39 - six rounds mag or would you use a G38 or G37 mag? Again, my goal is better skills.

Thanks, OD.

Kilted Cossack
06-15-2010, 14:24
Oregon:

(Can I call you Oregon?) If it was me (which of course, it's not), I'd use the G39 with a G39 magazine, and then use G37 magazines for the reloads. This way your first six or seven rounds will be from the setup you rely on as a carry gun, day to day, and the reloads will offer a slight competitive advantage.

Plus, if you occasionally stink as bad as I do, if you have an off day it's easier to say, "Well it's not like I'm shooting mousefart 9mm loads from a racegun." (Not that there's anything wrong with 9mm mousefart loads, or anything wrong with raceguns, mind you.)

oregondrifter
06-15-2010, 23:04
Kilted: Good advise and well said!

MSgt Dotson
07-05-2010, 02:59
Oregon:

(Can I call you Oregon?) If it was me (which of course, it's not), I'd use the G39 with a G39 magazine, and then use G37 magazines for the reloads. .)

Using mixed mags with different capacity is not allowed in idpa; however, 6 round mags are 'enough', if you don't miss, given eighteen round max in a stage, but, the OP will be at a competitive disadvantage in SSP using smallest .45 Gap against most others using larger 9mm autos...

If practice with the carry pistol is the goal, by all means, go for it....

jeffreybehr
07-05-2010, 10:30
Orgon, read the rulebook, here. http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf

I've shot some USPSA matches, but some Courses of Fire are silly--unreal--in the extreme, so I think when a local IDPA restarts shooting after our desert-summer break, I'll try it. I'll be using a 37.

MSgt Dotson
07-10-2010, 00:58
Will I be allowed (or is it practical) to use the G39 - six rounds mag or would you use a G38 or G37 mag? Again, my goal is better skills.

IDPA allows two mags on the belt, one in the pistol, all loaded equally, i.e., no mixing 10/8/6 round mags...)