7.62x39 Ulyanovsk 122gr FMJ any good for self defense? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x39 Ulyanovsk 122gr FMJ any good for self defense?

betyourlife
06-13-2010, 12:01
I have heard that the Ulyanovsk 124gr has excellent terminal performance. Does this also apply to the 122gr FMJ? Or should I keep looking for the 124gr?

Kalmah
06-13-2010, 18:29
It's the Uly 124gr JHP that has the good terminal performance.

I don't know of any FMJ made for the commercial market that has decent terminal ballistics. Yugo surplus FMJ is supposed to perform well, but not anything commercially made.

Check this out for further info on 7.62x39 performance.
http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=310

betyourlife
06-13-2010, 19:10
It's the Uly 124gr JHP that has the good terminal performance.

I don't know of any FMJ made for the commercial market that has decent terminal ballistics. Yugo surplus FMJ is supposed to perform well, but not anything commercially made.

Check this out for further info on 7.62x39 performance.
http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=310

Thanks, I read the article during my research. I'll hold out for the 124gr JHP since I can't find anything that says it's got good terminal performance.

gh0st614
06-13-2010, 22:28
Buy some of that Hornady with the VMAX bullet?

tsmo1066
06-14-2010, 15:49
Thanks, I read the article during my research. I'll hold out for the 124gr JHP since I can't find anything that says it's got good terminal performance.

Hornady VMAX is the bomb, but it is expensive to buy pre-loaded. An affordable round that has good terminal ballistics is the Wolf Military Classic JHP. The regular Wolf JHP doesn't expand much, but the Military Classic JHP is a solid performer.

LEAD
06-14-2010, 15:55
SP bullets are the best for defense; some fmj like the yugo tumble earlier than others making them more desirable.

blackbmw
06-14-2010, 22:23
Im thinking that if you hit anyone with that round, they arent gonna be happy, considering that you have 29 more to follow the first one!

DEADEYEGUY
06-14-2010, 23:15
There is some Yugoslavian brass cased ammo that has a lead core and copper jacket. No steel core or bi-metal. It starts to yaw pretty quick and much more damage than the standard M43 round. The 124 gr. Wolff Military Classic is supposed to give good terminal ballistics. Their is also a round labeled Sapsan that has the same type of bullet and also yaws early. The Wolf 124gr. Wolff Military ammo is probably the easiest to find. Please note it is not the 122gr. JHP from Wolff which performs about the same as the 122gr. fmj round.

DEADEYEGUY
06-17-2010, 00:54
The Yugo rounds are designated the M67. Alot of them floating around right now. The are corrosive though. Not a problem if you clean your weapon well after shooting.

conpro
06-17-2010, 06:48
I dont think the hollow points work very well in AK's.

Kalmah
06-17-2010, 16:21
I dont think the hollow points work very well in AK's.
Depends on each individual rifle. But I've never had a problem with JHP's in any of mine.

.45Super-Man
06-19-2010, 19:29
Depends on each individual rifle. But I've never had a problem with JHP's in any of mine.

Same here, no problems in either the MAK90 or WASR. Occasionally you'll hear of someone having feeding problems with the HP's, which usually requires raising the bullet guide.

marvin
06-20-2010, 21:31
if you want the best 7.62x39 ammo you have to make it yourself.

first pick the bullet you want, say the 125 hornady V-max. buy a RCBS bullet pulling collet die for .311 bullets. then get an bullet seating die for the 7.62x39, thats all you need.

next buy some cheap ammo from where ever, steel case is fine. make sure you get ammo with the same bullet weight as the v-max.

now if you have a turrent press it's easier but a single stage will work.
step #1 carefully pull the bullet out of the ammo, making sure not to spill any of the powder.
step #2 take the v-max and replace it in the case where you just pulled the bullet. using the seating die seat and crimp the new bullet in place. TADA! you now have some kick butt bullets for your AK.

now these won't be the most accurate ammo in the world but it should be better than the bullet you pulled. because you used the same weight bullets you don't have to worry about powder charges, or resizing brass.

now i've never done this with the 7.62, but i have done it with the .223. using wolf ammo i pulled the 55 grain bullet the swaped them out with some 55 grain jsp i had laying around. i also reloaded some of the steel case just to see in it can be done.
the only reason i did this was to see if it could be done. (you know the world ends and out of brass but still have bullets that are better than whats in the ammo.)

but i can see it as a way to get some good bullets for those rounds that don't normally have good bullets. like the 7.62x39 7.62x54r 8mm mauser and i'm sure may others. now you could just reload from scratch. but this way the only thing you need is the new bullets and dies. dies would cost you less than $40.