Les Baer TRS Uppdate [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Les Baer TRS Uppdate

BlayGlock
06-13-2010, 13:39
This week I had the mother-in-law and three nieces and nephews at the house (aged 4, 6, and 8) so needless to say by Friday I needed some trigger time. I took my Thunder Ranch Special out to the range and put my 500th round through it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
What can I say, this gun has been amazing. I have had it about 3 weeks and have carried it every day since. During these first 500 rounds it has not had a single malfunction of any kind. <o:p></o:p>
I shot JHPs from Speer, Federal, Hornady, and Winchester, Federal, Winchester, Remington, and PMC Ball ammo, and my own FMJ and LRN 230gr hand loads some of which were loaded to nuclear level. Not a single problem. I shot 300 rounds the first day that I had it without cleaning it, the other 200 were over 2 sessions and I thoroughly cleaned it after each shooting session.<o:p></o:p>
I was astounded at how tight this gun is built. It took considerably more effort to rack the slide and to deactivate the thumb safety than any other 1911 I have ever had. Reports of Baers hard fit are not overstated. Overall the fit and finish on this gun is first rate, the bluing is beautiful and even. You can tell a considerable amount of time has been put into these 1911s building them by hand and it shows in the final product. The hand checkering is well done, and many of the parts of the gun had the serial number etched into them, it seems they pair the parts together before they even start to file on them. I would not be surprised if they spent a few hours hand fitting the gun lock that came with the gun :rofl:<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><o:p></o:p>
The sights are nice and bright and provide a great sight picture. The front post is narrow enough to allow a little daylight on each side as you look down the sight plane. I have found this helps me when shooting multiple targets quickly like in IDPA. <o:p></o:p>
The trigger on my TRS is also great. No creep whatsoever, just a very crisp break. It was a little heavy out of the box for my taste (Iím spoiled by my Texas 9's 2.5 lb comp trigger), but after putting these first 500 rounds through it is has lightened up a little and is just about right for a carry gun at about 4.25 lbs. <o:p></o:p>
The accuracy of the gun is exceptional, and by the time I had gotten a feel for the gun I could keep a fist sized group offhand at 20 yards and all my shots COM at 50 yards on a CHL qualifier target which is about the best I can do at the moment and is plenty fine for my shooting needs since I am not a bullseye shooter. <o:p></o:p>
The only change I have made is to put on standard thickness grips which help me get a better hold on the gun. Also, as a side note, John a Pro Load told me these shipped with 3 7-rounds mags, but all of mine could hold 8 rounds with no feeding problems. In addition to those I used Kimber Kim-Pro and Wilson Combat mags during the "break-in" period all with no problems.<o:p></o:p>
Overall I am very happy with this purchase and my opinion after shooting is that the Les Baer TRS puts you at the point of diminishing returns in the semi-custom (limited production, semi-production or whatever you word police want to call it) market. You may spend more money, but you wonít be getting a "better" gun, just different in terms of build philosophy and aesthetics. <o:p></o:p>
The Baer TRS has a certain coolness factor to it, kind of like my dad's '70 Chevelle or my '72 Chevy Custom 10 I had in high school. Iím not much of an autophile so that is about the extent of a car analogy I could give. I have heard someone described Ed Brown as the BMW of the 1911 world but that is about all I recall. Feel free to add your own car analogy below. :dunno:

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv239/BlayGlock/Les%20Baer%20TRS/BaerTRS005.jpg

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv239/BlayGlock/Les%20Baer%20TRS/BaerTRS001-1.jpg<o:p></o:p>

gruntmedik
06-13-2010, 13:54
TRS will be my next 1911. :thumbsup:

drc767
06-13-2010, 15:08
I believe the TRS is the best "bang for the buck" semi-custom out there.....especially when they can be had for way under 2k.

dakrat
06-13-2010, 15:37
nice report. I can shoot my TRS better with standard grips. I am around 3K+ rounds on mine and the slide lock-up is still tight. is break-in ever going to come? :rofl:

Tactical black
06-13-2010, 15:45
The grips look nice. :thumbsup:

willis68
07-08-2010, 20:41
I love mine as well, it is the only firearm that I have bought twice

bac1023
07-08-2010, 20:43
I believe the TRS is the best "bang for the buck" semi-custom out there.....especially when they can be had for way under 2k.

Its one of the best values for sure. :)

brzusa.1911
07-08-2010, 21:03
+1000. Congratulations to the OP, amazing handgun!

Rinspeed
07-08-2010, 21:31
The absolute only thing I am slightly disappointed in my TRS is the the brightness of the night sights. I even sent the slide back for them to check out and possibly return them to Trijicon for new vials. Les said they wouldn't replace them for free so I'm not really sure what to make of it.

Hokie1911
07-08-2010, 21:38
The absolute only thing I am slightly disappointed in my TRS is the the brightness of the night sights. I even sent the slide back for them to check out and possibly return them to Trijicon for new vials. Les said they wouldn't replace them for free so I'm not really sure what to make of it.

How old are they? Doesn't Trijicon warranty them for 12 years?

Ruggles
07-08-2010, 22:09
The TRS is a great basic no frills build for sure, everything you need and nothing your don't.

bladeandbarrel
07-08-2010, 22:10
I have had 3-4 TRS's and they are good guns for the money.
I always wonder why people think they are hand checkered, though.
That checkering comes right off a CNC machine like everyone elses. Just a bit "less finished".

bladeandbarrel
07-08-2010, 22:11
Oh yeah, I hate thin grips. Yuck..Love those TX grips.

HAIL CAESAR
07-08-2010, 22:12

If it ain't the top best buy, it would be hard not to find it near the very top of every bodies list.

Ruggles
07-09-2010, 00:23
Oh yeah, I hate thin grips. Yuck..Love those TX grips.

I agree I am not the biggest fan of the thin grips, I switched them out on my TRS Comanche to the standard size grips.

I also agree I like the Texas grips, but then I like everything about Texas (except those lousy NFL Cowboys) :tongueout:

Rinspeed
07-09-2010, 04:31
I always wonder why people think they are hand checkered, though.
That checkering comes right off a CNC machine like everyone elses. Just a bit "less finished".

I've read a couple different places that they are hand checkered but the CNC does all the lines so they just have to finish the checkering by hand.

Kinny
07-09-2010, 11:46
Nice indeed. I need to work my budget into one of these. :woohoo: