"idiot scratches" [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : "idiot scratches"

3rdgen40
06-13-2010, 21:33
Every damn time I look at a used 1911 for sale it has the so called "idiot scratch".WTF is so hard about reinstalling the slide stop without gouging the hell out of the frame ? I had a Mil Spec that I field stripped constantly,just to tinker and clean it.Never as much as a nick.It's quite easy to hold the slide stop against the plunger and gently work it in.There is no need to start at 5:00 o'clock and sweep it up and in.It just seems that there are a lot of nice used 1911's for sale,in like new condition except for the moron mark.
I'm done ranting now........:faint:

Ruggles
06-13-2010, 21:44
Every damn time I look at a used 1911 for sale it has the so called "idiot scratch".WTF is so hard about reinstalling the slide stop without gouging the hell out of the frame ? I had a Mil Spec that I field stripped constantly,just to tinker and clean it.Never as much as a nick.It's quite easy to hold the slide stop against the plunger and gently work it in.There is no need to start at 5:00 o'clock and sweep it up and in.It just seems that there are a lot of nice used 1911's for sale,in like new condition except for the moron mark.
I'm done ranting now........:faint:

I would guess most of these types of marks are caused by the slide stop slipping when it is being pushed into the 1911 and it sweeps downward under the force causing the mark. I do not think it it caused as someone sweeps the slide upward into the gun from 5 o'clock. I could be wrong, I have never caused this to happen to one of my 1911....yet :)

As to why there are so many I would guess some 1911s are somewhat tricky in that area, some are not. I had a Colt New Agent that I had to removed the thumb safety first then install the slide stop to take pressure off of the plunger first. I have had others that it just slips in no problem.

Ebb27
06-13-2010, 21:57
So buy a new one.

.......or don't be quite so anal about a minor blemish that in no way effects function. ;)

faawrenchbndr
06-13-2010, 22:00
So buy a new one........or don't be quite so anal .....

Guess I'm anal as well,.......... idiot scratches are like a super long "key" scratch on a good lookin car! :rant:

3rdgen40
06-13-2010, 22:08
I do not think it it caused as someone sweeps the slide upward into the gun from 5 o'clock. off of the plunger first.
I think you misunderstood what I was saying ? :dunno: What I meant was sweeping the slide stop up from below the plunger.:wavey:

3rdgen40
06-13-2010, 22:11
So buy a new one.

.......or don't be quite so anal about a minor blemish that in no way effects function. ;)Nothing anal about not wanting a gun that some idiot scratched up because they weren't smart enough to put it back together properly.

idiot scratches are like a super long "key" scratch on a good lookin car! :rant:
Exactly......:wavey:

Ruggles
06-13-2010, 22:16
I understand I just can't seem to put into words what I want to say tonight :rofl: Long day I guess.

What I am trying to express is that I think they happen as the slid stop goes from the slide downward on the frame, not from the frame upwards towards the slide. Maybe I misunderstood you or I could just be flat wrong, like I said long day. :embarassed:

Either way they are unsightly but I can live with them. I have a used Champion with one (mark that is) that came free with purchase and it really does not bother me. But then again I like character wear so much I had my Kobra Carry built without the Gen III finish cause I wanted the blue to wear some. Kinda weird that way I guess. :wavey:

I would suggest laying off the "idiot" insults as a number of folks might take offense to being called that just because their hands slipped once. It has nothing to do with intelligence IMO.

3rdgen40
06-13-2010, 22:20
I understand I just can't seem to put into words what I want to say tonight :rofl: Long day I guess.

What I am trying to express is that I think they happen as the slid stop goes from the slide downward on the frame, not from the frame upwards towards the slide. Maybe I misunderstood you or I could just be flat wrong, like I said long day. :embarassed:

Either way they are unsightly but I can live with them. I have a used Champion with one (mark that is) that came free with purchase and it really does not bother me. But then again I like character wear so much I had my Kobra Carry built without the Gen III finish cause I wanted the blue to wear some. Kinda weird that way I guess. :wavey:
Character wear is cool.Idiot scratches are lame.Kinda like sights that have been bashed into place with a hammer and a punch.

dc2integra
06-13-2010, 22:27
if your gonna be so picky buy it new

faawrenchbndr
06-13-2010, 22:35
....I would suggest laying off the "idiot" insults as a number of folks might
take offense to being called that just because their hands slipped once. It has nothing to do with intelligence IMO.

Forest says, "stupid is as stupid does." If it touches a nerve, do a bit of research.
Idiot scratch is a completely acceptable term in the 1911 world.

Here's the best fix to prevent an idiot scratch!

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/faawrenchbndr/idiotproof.jpg

3rdgen40
06-13-2010, 22:40
I'm guessing that the only people taking offense to this are the people trying to sell used 1911's with idiot scratches on them...:upeyes:

gruntmedik
06-13-2010, 23:06
Both my Springfields were bought used, and they threw the idiot scratch in for free. They will eventually be refinished, so it doesn't really bother me.

Ruggles
06-14-2010, 03:47
I'm guessing that the only people taking offense to this are the people trying to sell used 1911's with idiot scratches on them...:upeyes:

Nice use of the bold feature to reinforce your point, very mature.

When you have owned more than 1 example of the platform maybe you will have a better understanding of how it works. The 1911 platform is not a Glock or Beretta, 1911s are all not the same when it comes to fit.

I do not have an issue with the term idiot scratch when used in a good nature way it is indeed acceptable. IMO it was not in this thread. I am moving on as I really do not want to debate this any longer and was just throwing my .02 in not tying to offend anyone.

3rdgen40
06-14-2010, 05:06
When you have owned more than 1 example of the platform maybe you will have a better understanding of how it works. The 1911 platform is not a Glock or Beretta, 1911s are all not the same when it comes to fit.

I'm not the one that doesn't know how to reinstall a slide stop without scratching the frame.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
06-14-2010, 05:29
My Ed Brown is super easy to put the slide stop back in - my custom Springer is not.

I used scotchtape for a while, to protect the frame. Now, I have a device that fits on the frame to protect it while I put the slide stop in. It is VERY hard to get it in on the Springer. I have to use a screw driver to help me push in that plunger.

faawrenchbndr
06-14-2010, 06:11
12 pages of threads come up when you search for "idiot scratch" on a popular 1911 forum.

Also, to Ruggles,.....3rdgen HAS owned MORE than one model 1911, just to give you a heads up.

CigarGuy
06-14-2010, 06:18
Hello. My name is "CigarGuy" and I'm an idiot.......
Really no good reason. The guy that sold it to me, new, told me and showed me. I, of course, didn't remember. I, finally cleaned it after putting 125 rounds through it, and just couldn't get the pin back in(remember, I'm an idiot!). So I met him at the cigar shop and he put it back together in, oh, 3 seconds. And mentioned how he had told me NOT to scratch it and how he had showed me the right way to do it.
Shoot! I was just glad to have the damned thing back together!:wink:

ijacek
06-14-2010, 07:58
I don't know what the big deal is, apparently the new Colt Delta Elite (http://www.coltsmfg.com/products-c5-q69-COLT_PISTOLS.aspx) comes with one, in stainless too! :supergrin:

Fear762
06-14-2010, 08:13
Even the most finiky will probably get a slight mark that's visible from the slide stop.

faawrenchbndr
06-14-2010, 08:19
I don't know what the big deal is, apparently the new Colt Delta Elite (http://www.coltsmfg.com/products-c5-q69-COLT_PISTOLS.aspx) comes with one, in stainless too! :supergrin:

:rofl::rofl:

brisk21
06-14-2010, 08:21
My Ed Brown is super easy to put the slide stop back in - my custom Springer is not.

I used scotchtape for a while, to protect the frame. Now, I have a device that fits on the frame to protect it while I put the slide stop in. It is VERY hard to get it in on the Springer. I have to use a screw driver to help me push in that plunger.

Definatly some are easier than others. My Mil-spec is easy to re-installl. It just pops right in. My TRP, I have to depress the plunger with a jackknife and then slide in the slide stop. Pain in the *****.

Field strip and re-assembly really are one area where the 1911 isn't the most efficiant design.

faawrenchbndr
06-14-2010, 08:40
....Field strip and re-assembly really are one area where the 1911 isn't the most efficiant design.

It is a design thjat is OVER 100 years old. :dunno:
I can't think of one thing available to the consumer today that is nearly exactly the same as it was 100 years ago.

Heck,....Glock is on it's FOURTH design in only 30 years!
So much for Perfection!:whistling:

leeward419
06-15-2010, 19:42
One of the gun mags had it right, first timers with 1911 have trouble with the slide stop, not so much idiots, just folks learning.

El_Ron1
06-15-2010, 20:14
http://www.jae-designs.com/firearms/GSR/Images/3.jpg

Looks like the work of an idiot to me.

gruntmedik
06-15-2010, 20:33
http://www.jae-designs.com/firearms/GSR/Images/3.jpg

Looks like the work of an idiot to me.

:faint:

Chonny
06-15-2010, 20:53
Aw man, one on the slide and another near the trigger. How will you ever live with yourself, and what does the gun think?

Ebb27
06-15-2010, 21:18
Guess I'm anal as well,.......... idiot scratches are like a super long "key" scratch on a good lookin car! :rant:

So don't buy it.

If the car runs like a pup and is in otherwise tip-top shape I can live with a scratch on the side. Especially if I can get a better deal on it because of that silly little scratch.

I guess I'm just not as anal as you.;)

MD357
06-15-2010, 23:39
I guess I use my guns for shooting and my cars for driving. If you use things, they WILL get dirty and scratched up. :supergrin:

TxGun
06-16-2010, 01:01
People seem to forget that there's a tab on the back of the slide stop that engages the magazine. It seems they don't think about it being there when reassembling a 1911. I'm one who doesn't like the idiot scratch, although I've bought stainless guns with scratches, because obviously they are easily buffed out. I dunno. To me it says, "I'm clumsy" or "I don't know what I'm doing" and makes me wonder what else was done to the gun. My guns aren't all pristine. Some have more than considerable wear from shooting. But none have "the scratch", and I'll keep them that way. JMOs.

faawrenchbndr
06-16-2010, 06:37
....I guess I'm just not as anal as you.;)

Guess not,......:dunno:

Ebb27
06-16-2010, 14:42
People seem to forget that there's a tab on the back of the slide stop that engages the magazine. It seems they don't think about it being there when reassembling a 1911. I'm one who doesn't like the idiot scratch, although I've bought stainless guns with scratches, because obviously they are easily buffed out. I dunno. To me it says, "I'm clumsy" or "I don't know what I'm doing" and makes me wonder what else was done to the gun.

Yeah now that I can agree with.

It does send up red flags as to what else they may have monkeyed with and I'm damn sure gonna double check any and everything before I lay down my money.

Still it's not the "idiot" mark that worries me that's just cosmetic, what really concerns me is what the "idiot" and his Dremel did to the internal parts when he had it apart.

jsnake
06-16-2010, 15:02
I don't see many folks owning up to making said idiot marks. Yeah, I did it within an hour of getting my new springer loaded stainless. Felt like a real dumb***, but only for like an hour.

No, this was not my first 1911, not by a long shot. Oh well, I guess I will just have to keep it because noone will buy it. Probably not worth the scrap metal price.

Seriously, though, it does not bother me that much.

Joe

Ebb27
06-16-2010, 18:35
I don't see many folks owning up to making said idiot marks. Yeah, I did it within an hour of getting my new springer loaded stainless. Felt like a real dumb***, but only for like an hour.

No, this was not my first 1911, not by a long shot. Oh well, I guess I will just have to keep it because noone will buy it. Probably not worth the scrap metal price.

Well I'll tell you what since I'm feeling sorry for you I'll give you $100 if you pay the shipping.

Yeah I know that's an awful lot for a trashed out pistol but hey maybe I can use it for parts.

At least you won't have to take a total loss on it.;)

:supergrin:

gconan
06-16-2010, 20:20
You can avoid the mark 200 times in a row, and then you are late for a hot date and hastily do it on the 201 mark. It can and does happen. I find that most people that are bothered by it are, well, never mind that. Guns are made to be shot. Bluing goes away on well shot guns. I would by a used gun if the only thing is wrong with it is it had the "mark".

The term came into effect not by people calling others idiots. But the guy assembiling his own weapon did it and said "Im an idiot" for doing it. Many of us learned guns without having internet help at first and it happens. It does not ruin the gun.

Ebb27
06-16-2010, 21:19
Guns are made to be shot. Bluing goes away on well shot guns.

Oh man I think some of these guys would slit their wrists if they got any holster wear on one of their pistols!!!

ajgranda
06-17-2010, 12:45
I've seen dealers create that "idiot scratch" when showing customers how to field strip. Needless to say, most dealers wont do this or allow you to do it until you have payed for the gun first.

faawrenchbndr
06-17-2010, 21:31
Oh man I think some of these guys would slit their wrists if they got any holster wear on one of their pistols!!!

My Ed Brown has holster wear,.......but no "idiot mark"

Ebb27
06-18-2010, 00:00
My Ed Brown has holster wear,.......but no "idiot mark"

Really???

And you can live with that?

It doesn't keep you awake at night or sit there and nag at some corner of your mind?

But isn't that like having a good looking car that the paint is faded and wearing through in spots?

It really doesn't bother you?

Well I am impressed!

I guess you're not as tightassed and anal-retentive as I thought you were!!!

faawrenchbndr
06-18-2010, 07:10
Really???

And you can live with that?

It doesn't keep you awake at night or sit there and nag at some corner of your mind?

But isn't that like having a good looking car that the paint is faded and wearing through in spots?

It really doesn't bother you?

Well I am impressed!

I guess you're not as tightassed and anal-retentive as I thought you were!!!

Awesome,.......I needed a good laugh!
Thanks

hdbob
06-18-2010, 07:16
No ****..who cares..My truck bed got some scratches in it too.....

I guess I use my guns for shooting and my cars for driving. If you use things, they WILL get dirty and scratched up. :supergrin:

Bill Lumberg
06-18-2010, 07:30
This.

[quote=Ruggles;15469951]I would guess most of these types of marks are caused by the slide stop slipping when it is being pushed into the 1911 and it sweeps downward under the force causing the mark. quote]

Rinspeed
06-18-2010, 07:36

My Baer is a pain to get back together as well.

Ebb27
06-18-2010, 18:32

Awesome,.......I needed a good laugh!
Thanks

No problem.

At least you have a sense of humor and that's always a good thing! :thumbsup: