Officer vs. Commander [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Officer vs. Commander

jethro21
06-14-2010, 00:24
Can anyone post some side by side pics of an Officers model next to a Commander for comparison. I am trying to figure which frame my next 1911 is going to be.

Thanks,
Jethro

jrs93accord
06-14-2010, 06:38
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea_08/jamesrea09/DSC00705.jpg

Colt Government model
Colt Commander
Colt Officer

jethro21
06-14-2010, 15:14
Thx, may end up going with a commander, doesn't seem to be a huge difference.

HAIL CAESAR
06-14-2010, 16:57
Thx, may end up going with a commander, doesn't seem to be a huge difference.

Ohhhh, yes there is once you get then in your hand or in your belt.

Ballistic
06-14-2010, 17:02
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea_08/jamesrea09/DSC00705.jpg

Nice.
:notworthy:

jethro21
06-14-2010, 18:53
Well, right now I am carrying a g30, so either a commander or officer would be an improvement in the width department. I am a pretty big guy and can carry my fullsize 1911 without issue, just would like something a little smaller. That being said, with my big hands, I think I would like a commander better.

Free Radical
06-14-2010, 18:59
I have donned my flame suit for this post.
JMB designed the 1911 around a 5" barrel.
The further you get away from the 5" barrel the further you will get away from the genius of that design.
Commanders do pretty well, especially with today's fast burning propellants.
Officer's.........yea, maybe.

Quack
06-14-2010, 19:12
Get the best of both worlds and get a CCO ;)

den888
06-14-2010, 19:18
The Officer is noticeably smaller than a Commander. If you are planning on CCW, the smaller 1911's warrant a look.

awpk03s
06-14-2010, 19:42
Here's two comparison shots. Top pistol is Gov't, middle is Commander bobtail, bottom is Officer frame with Commander slide - CCO.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/mba656/guns/DSC02582.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/mba656/guns/DSC02583.jpg

Big_Drunk
06-14-2010, 22:44
I'm thinking Les Baer Stinger.

Officer Frame/Commander Slide and barrel

Hokie1911
06-14-2010, 22:49
Here's two comparison shots. Top pistol is Gov't, middle is Commander bobtail, bottom is Officer frame with Commander slide - CCO.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/mba656/guns/DSC02582.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/mba656/guns/DSC02583.jpg

:wow: :drool: :faint:

LOVE the black BOB.

Alaskapopo
06-14-2010, 23:12
I don't trust 1911's smaller than commanders. Seen a lot of officer sized 1911's choke. Too many to feel comfortable trusting them.
I carry a full size on and off duty.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Semi%20auto%20pistols/WilsonCQB.jpg

jethro21
06-15-2010, 18:46
I would love the choices you guys mentioned... unfortunately I have filet mignon taste but a Mcdonalds wallet...unless I can pick up a CCO for under $800 (preferably waaay under that, just had another baby 3 weeks ago), I will probably go with the Iver Johnson Hawk or a Rock Island. Just a poor cop.

HAIL CAESAR
06-15-2010, 18:54
I would love the choices you guys mentioned... unfortunately I have filet mignon taste but a Mcdonalds wallet...unless I can pick up a CCO for under $800, I will probably go with the Iver Johnson Hawk or a Rock Island. Just a poor cop.

If you keep your eyes peeled you can find a Springfield CCO ( they call it a compact) on gunbroker for 6 bills. Also you can get the Sig Compact with LEO pricing that should be under 800 bills. Read the below.

Here is a CCO list that I wrote at one time. It is my personal opinion, so take it with a grain of salt about my views on the quality. This is a list of CCO guns. They have 4 or 4.25 barrels but have Officer grip frames. Thought it might help if you start looking at Commander slide and Officer frames..

The size of 1911 you are describing is loosely called a CCO. It is a officer frame and a 4.25 commander slide. Some people people (including myself) make a distinction of a TRUE CCO and LIKE A CCO. A true CCO will have a 4.25 barrel and a barrel bushing. Most "Like" a CCO will have a 4ish inch barrel and the barrel will be bushingless. Colt is the company that owns the name "CCO", much like "Commander".

To answer your question of who makes a 1911 of similar size the list is as follows;

STI Guardian- Like a CCO- 4ish bull barrel- good quality gun- $950ish.
Steel frame.

Colt CCO and Colt Gunsite CCO- True CCO sized-4.25 barrel- good quality gun-Discontinued model- somewhat of a collectors item $950++++, if you can find one.

Colt has put out another CCO in 2010 called the Special Combat Officer but it is a CCO like mentioned above. It has no front cocking serrations although.

Old Dan Wesson CCO- True CCO (Except external extractor)- Discontinued Model- good quality- good luck finding one.

New Dan Wesson CCO. Production starting 2009. True CCO with internal extractor. $1,250+, hard to get only 200 made this year. Alloy frame with 4.25 inch bushing barrel. Ceramic coated slide. I have it now. It is excellent quality!

Newer, newer DW CCO. Production starting 2010. Same as the one above but supposed to have upgraded all barstock internals and a super duper tough finish. ( No idea what it is as they are keeping it a secret, but it will come out what it is. Thinking it's like Ionbond or Melonite) Quality?? Based on last years 2009 run that was excellent and the 2010 models SUPPOSED to be better...I am guessing these will be very excellent guns although I have never owed one ..YET.

Kimber- Like a CCO, OK quality gun, various models - $750 and up depending on model. Lots of reports of problems, but lots of reports of satisfaction. Be prepares to buy a new recoil spring even on a new gun. Kimber makes a steel frame and a alloy frame LW.

Sig 1911 Compact- True CCO (except external extractor) good quality gun- earlier guns have had problems, newer guns have seemed to have no problems- $850+-Sig makes a steel frame and a alloy frame LW. Make sure you get ones that have no "manhole cover" on the slide.

Springfield Armory COMPACT- Older discontinued model, do not be confused with current Ultra or Micro size guns they are not the same- if you can find one they run $550+. good quality. Some were 4.25 with bushing and some were Bull 4 inchers. Steel frames and LW Alloy frames.

Smith & Wesson ES. Seems to be good quality (very new) True CCO expect the external extractor. 4.25 bushing barrel. Stainless slide and Scandium frame. $860.00ish, but people are trying to get rich selling them for more than that.

Fusion Arms True CCO or 4 inch bull. (Edited for now pending outcome of issues.)

Les Baer Stinger- True CCO, excellent quality 1911- $1,500+ depending on options. Steel frame. 5 inch frame rails and embutment. May or may not slingshot. Older discontinued had alloy frame.

Wilson Combat Compact- Like a CCO, 4 inch bull barrel. Excellent quality 1911 alloy or steel frame.- $2200+ depending on model.

Nighthawk Custom_ True CCO- excellent quality 1911- $2500+ depending on options. They will build a bushing or a bull barrel.

Springfield Armory Custom Shop -True CCO Excellent quality. Takes about 6 months to build. They will build it your way. They will build a bushing or a bull barrel. Alloy or steel frame. $1,600+++

There are full custom shops that will make you a CCO, be prepared to sell at least one of your children on the black market.

If they are more I've forgotten, please anyone help me out.

My opinion time; The CCO is the perfect CCW size 1911 ever made. Reliability of a Commander, frame size of a Officer for less printing. Even less printing if you have the frame MSH rounded.

I have been after RIA to put out a CCO for years. But they won't. They have Officer frames, and Commander slides. They just won't slap them together.
Think of it, a CCO for 500 dollars!

sns3guppy
06-15-2010, 19:01
Springfield Armory COMPACT- Older discontinued model, do not be confused with current Ultra or Micro size guns they are not the same- if you can find one they run $550+. good quality. Some were 4.25 with bushing and some were Bull 4 inchers. Steel frames and LW Alloy frames.

I have one; it's been in the safe for years, and will be a project one of these days for some custom work. As it came from Springfield, it had poor barrel fit, the bushing was loose, the barrel link had play, the trigger was poor, and the weapon exhibited slide-frame play. It also faced extraction issues, the extractor tended to rotate, and the firing pin stop did little to prevent it.

HAIL CAESAR
06-15-2010, 19:09
I have one; it's been in the safe for years, and will be a project one of these days for some custom work. As it came from Springfield, it had poor barrel fit, the bushing was loose, the barrel link had play, the trigger was poor, and the weapon exhibited slide-frame play. It also faced extraction issues, the extractor tended to rotate, and the firing pin stop did little to prevent it.

Ok, most were good quality.:rofl:

ceptor781
06-16-2010, 03:36
jethro21,
I have an original Dan Wesson CCO that I may be parting with in your price range. If you're interested let me know, I'll pm pics and details.

jethro21
06-16-2010, 23:00
ceptor, pm on the way

ArmoryDoc
06-16-2010, 23:35
Wow. I've gotta get the Colt Special Combat Officers. That would be sweet.

HAIL CAESAR
06-16-2010, 23:44
Wow. I've gotta get the Colt Special Combat Officers. That would be sweet.

I heard it will be around $1,500 OTD. Which is pretty hefty.

I have not found a dealer wholesale listing to verify that.

remat
06-17-2010, 00:00
I don't trust 1911's smaller than commanders. Seen a lot of officer sized 1911's choke. Too many to feel comfortable trusting them.
I carry a full size on and off duty.

There is definitely something to that although I don't feel as strongly -- my DW Commander Bobtail has been perfect, however, in my experience a 5" 1911 will almost always work, and if it doesn't it is usually very simple to make work. The smaller you go, there is additional potential for problems and "tweaking."

But, the new crop of snubby 1911's is leaps and bounds ahead of the way they were in the 80's (no more Officer's recoil springs/plugs springing out the front of the pistol) :)

I personally don't like anything that needs a tool (even if it just a paperclip) to disassemble.

HAIL CAESAR
06-17-2010, 00:05
Officer's can be made to run, and it is easy to do when you know that to do to make them run.

That being said, Officer slide (Defenders, Micro, Ultra's) are very dependent on fresh springs..recoil and mag springs.

ArmoryDoc
06-17-2010, 08:43
I heard it will be around $1,500 OTD. Which is pretty hefty.

I have not found a dealer wholesale listing to verify that.

I haven't either but I have been looking. :cool:

98_1LE
06-17-2010, 08:45
Get the best of both worlds and get a CCO ;)

Having had Officers & Commanders 1911's (plural and past tense), my next one will be a CCO with an aluminum frame.

Makoman
06-18-2010, 01:33
Not a big fan of officer sized 1911's but if I were to get one, it would be one of the newer bull barrel/bushingless designs as they seem to be more reliable.