How to price Caspian 1911? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How to price Caspian 1911?

PorkChopsMmm
06-14-2010, 07:39
I was in a local gun store and saw a used 1911 .45 with Caspian on the slide. I took a look and there is slight wear on the pistol, it is wearing nice grips, and the gun cycled and dry fired very smoothly. The finish was a matte silver, not blued and not shiny stainless. Price of the gun -- $515. I have checked gunbroker and I see more fancy Caspian slided guns going for $1k plus. I'm not sure if this is a deal or a cobbled together gun. I don't have much experience with 1911s, only firing, and no experience with disassembly. The guy behind the counter had no background on the gun.

Would you all estimate this random Caspian to be worth? Smart buy?
Thanks in advance.

chakup
06-14-2010, 07:45
My guess will be: Need pics, all info you can get. A big effect on cost is who built it using what parts. If it's junk parts by bubba, it's not worth $1.

MD357
06-14-2010, 09:29
Was it a caspian frame aswell?

PorkChopsMmm
06-14-2010, 10:05
Was it a caspian frame aswell?

Not sure. It was very busy in the store so I just worked the slide and trigger a few times. Where would it be written on the frame? Would it being a Caspian frame increase the price?

okie
06-14-2010, 10:41
My guess will be: Need pics, all info you can get. A big effect on cost is who built it using what parts. If it's junk parts by bubba, it's not worth $1.

This:thumbsup:

PorkChopsMmm
06-14-2010, 10:54
OK, I will try and get some phone pictures tonight. If I remember correctly it had a regular trigger (no holes or anything) and a regular hammer, not bobbed. The sites looked strange to me, the back one was more raised than a GI site by not adjustable. Hopefully I will have an update tonight or tomorrow morning.

MD357
06-14-2010, 13:06
Not sure. It was very busy in the store so I just worked the slide and trigger a few times. Where would it be written on the frame? Would it being a Caspian frame increase the price?

Depends, I've just seen some junkers where someone threw on a caspian slide on a Essex frame or some other junker company. At least if it's a caspian frame and slide you have a point of consistency. Your comments about the sights scare me a bit. I've seen some guys do some goofy builds with weird sights and people buy them cheap and not realize that they are limited with that particular cut. Pics would help. :supergrin:

PorkChopsMmm
06-15-2010, 07:17
Sorry, no pics. I am going to stop pursuing this one after hearing your advice and doing some searching. There is no easy way for me to know what internal parts were used.